SLR Magic 50mm f0.95 M Lens

janrzm

I believe Photokina is in September 2012 and there are many products Leica will or will not launch. We also have dedicated threads speculating on these products. I wonder why we still insist on posting to this thread instead.

So basically no one with any first-hand experience with this lens has posted anything positive to this thread. The only proponent has no experience with the lens in question and no interest in Leica M-Mount cameras.

Only on the Internet could people waste so much time over so little useful information.

Useful Information: avoid this lens.

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So basically no one with any first-hand experience with this lens has posted anything positive to this thread. [...]

Useful Information: avoid this lens.

Only on the Internet could people draw useful information out of thin air.

Only on the Internet could people draw useful information out of thin air.

I would appreciate it if you would buy the lens in question and take it apart so that we all can have a detailed look at it to make an informed decision. If you do not want to take it apart, send it to me and I will. If the lens drops below $200 on the used market, I'll buy one just to take it apart. That's about the limit of my curiousity.

Until then, I will go by the misfortunes of those that bought this lens and demanded refunds because of it's shoddy construction. Posts to the now closed thread.

• Like 1

... the misfortunes of those that bought this lens and demanded refunds because of its shoddy construction.

These are the kind of things that can, and will, happen when people try buying a prototype lens when the design isn't fully finished and manufacturing processes aren't fully established yet.

If you're interested in a fair and valid assessment of this lens then wait until it's officially finished and ready for serial production and sale. Then take a look.

These are the kind of things that can, and will, happen when people try buying a prototype lens when the design isn't fully finished and manufacturing processes aren't fully established yet.

If you're interested in a fair and valid assessment of this lens then wait until it's officially finished and ready for serial production and sale. Then take a look.

The company is taking customer's money for the lens in it's current form. If it is a pre-production prototype, they should have loaned out the lens for test and evaluation rather than selling it to them. I cannot imagine a company selling this lens in it's current form as first-hand reports on it's construction will be negative and this will deter sells. I and others are left with the impression that production lenses will be the current design as the company is selling them.

Statements such as "We should have used more Loctite" and "There was not enough room for screws" is hardly reassuring that any new design from this company will be better. Nothing has been released by this company to indicate that the production lenses will be a new design. I cannot imagine anyone putting down a non-refundable deposit on this lens. Back to : best avoided.

for those that put their money down on this lens, I can only hope 01af is correct and the production lenses will be a new focus mount. Nothing on the part of the company indicates that it will be.

Edited by brianv
  • Like 7

The company is taking customer's money for the lens in its current form. If it is a pre-production prototype, they should have loaned out the lens for test and evaluation rather than selling it to them.

Sure. They made a mistake when they took customers' money and sold lenses that were not quite ready yet. I guess they are kicking their asses now at least as much as those early customers do. They originally said, September, but people furiously insisted to acquire Hyperprime lenses in April or May when the first prototypes appeared in public and initially got favourable reviews. So who's to blame, actually?

Anyway—no reason to be unfair. Wait until the lens is really finished and officially distributed, then be the judge. There is at least one good point to the whole story—a bad design fault was identified before volume production has started. So now they have the chance to change it for the better, even though this came at a high price for SLR Magic—their good reputation is busted. Will they eventually come up with a serious, solid, and honest product? Will they be able to restore their reputation? No idea. But let them have their chance.

Edited by 01af
  • Like 1

Nice packaging, colour options and f1.4. With pedigree like this surely a startegic fit with Leica makes sense

SLR Magic x Toy Lens 26mm f/1.4 Olympus PEN E-PL2 - YouTube

Okay! Pink focus assist ring! I'm in! Went to the shoe store today and left rather quickly. Saleslady asked, "Didn't find what you want?" I replied, "Aw, all the pink shoes are ladies size." (Truth was that their prices were insane.) My back was turned by then so I don't know if they laughed.

Regarding the Noctilux(es), I'm very happy that I never bought one. Very happy. The Canon f/.95 suffices.

I note that Ashwin Rao, who is a frequent contributor and reviewer on Steve Huff's site, has just put his Hyperprime up for sale. It was an early copy and a custom order along with Steve Huff's lens that has 'stealth black writing' on the front ring; he implies that it's to partly fund the purchase of an M-Monochrom.

Pete.

• Like 3

I note that Ashwin Rao, who is a frequent contributor and reviewer on Steve Huff's site, has just put his Hyperprime up for sale. It was an early copy and a custom order along with Steve Huff's lens that has 'stealth black writing' on the front ring; he implies that it's to partly fund the purchase of an M-Monochrom.

Pete.

Priceless! This whole thing has been so predictable. I'll say it again, I'd rather blow my brains out before I'd go on a groupie-shoot with these guys. Now, I would buy all of Chris Weeks' drinks for the day to hang out and shoot with him. He is the anti-groupie blogger. Oh, wait, he isn't a blogger he is actually a professional photographer.

Thirty-Five 'Lux

• Like 1

Please forgive me for such a naive question, but why are you posting on this forum then?

Wait for the M10 and then perhaps you might know the answer.

Speaking for today:

Because the title of this thread does not address only the LM version and there were false pretenses that addressed the HyperPrime T0.95 and SLR Magic in general.

... Because the title of this thread does not address only the LM version and there were false pretenses that addressed the HyperPrime T0.95 and SLR Magic in general.

"M Lens" is in the title; that indicates to me that it only concerns the Leica M-mount version ("LM") of this lens.

Pete.

• Like 1

3d-Kraft

Give it up mate........ SLR Magic have lost all credibility and started with none, they have proved beyond doubt their lack of credibility and integrity from a customer, engineering and product perspective.

Whilst you state independence from SLR Tragic, your interest has only been on this lens.

The less said about SLR IMO the better

12 posts on this forum only, all supporting SLR Magic....... :rolleyes:

• Like 3