light Lens Labs 50mm 1.2 (interesting)

Harout62

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just stumbled on this on the local Buy and Sell site here in Canada 

Light Lens Labs 50mm 1.2. 1966 Leica replica 

pre order price is 2100 for black paint and 2400 for chrome 

Has anyone else seen this around the globe ? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I bought the LLL 8 Elements replica when it was first announced.  The price back then was $500. Totally worth it, and I really like the lens.  But if it was at today’s price of $1100? Nope.  There are far too many options in 35mm for that.

Now this 50mm 1.2 for $2400? Hard no.  That is an awful lot of money for a knock off.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, Harout62 said:

I just stumbled on this on the local Buy and Sell site here in Canada......pre order price is 2100 for black paint and 2400 for chrome......

Could you please be slightly more specific? Is that in Canadian Dollars / US Dollars / Jelly Babies? If the former (as you are in Canada) the asking price works out as roughly £1,300 / £1,450 here in the UK which seems like an absolute bargain to me.

I am another with the 35mm '8 Element' and it is a fantastic performer which, from comparisons posted here and elsewhere, replicates the rendering of the original pretty much perfectly. If the reverse-engineered Noctilux has been crafted with the same amount of care and exactitude then of course the lens will be worth the asking price.

JFWIW and to put things in a bit of perspective; there is, currently, an original 12503 lens-hood being advertised on the 'Bay. Asking price is roughly £5,400 which is four times the amount for the Black-Chrome LLL.

Philip.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Harout62 said:

Yes Philip that is in Canadian dollars 

Thanks, Harout.

In which case I'll be very interested to see what they are asking for it here if it is ever released in the UK. AFAIK the only LLL 8 Element examples which came to Britain were either test samples, those pre-bought by 'early-adopters' or personal imports.

Philip.

14 minutes ago, pippy said:

Thanks, Harout.

In which case I'll be very interested to see what they are asking for it here if it is ever released in the UK. AFAIK the only LLL 8 Element examples which came to Britain were either test samples, those pre-bought by 'early-adopters' or personal imports.

Philip.

Here in TORONTO they have a person importing the product for them  the 8 element was 1500 cnd.   The Elacan was 1100 cnd. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Harout62 said:

I just stumbled on this on the local Buy and Sell site here in Canada 

Light Lens Labs 50mm 1.2. 1966 Leica replica 

pre order price is 2100 for black paint and 2400 for chrome 

Has anyone else seen this around the globe ? 

In the FM-forum (Fred Miranda) and the Rangefinder forum you can find more info.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jankap said:

In the FM-forum (Fred Miranda) and the Rangefinder forum you can find more info.

Thanks for that nudge, Jankap. I've just had a look over on the Fred Miranda thread and there are some interesting 'original' v's 'reverse-engineered' comparison images (post#14);

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1761547/0

Being someone who likes the way the f1.2 Noctilux renders (far more than either the f1.0 or f0.95 versions) but who doesn't shoot at such wide apertures anywhere near often enough to justify the purchase of a 'real' 50 f1.2 Noctilux I find the LLL lens to be very attractive proposition. I have a few 50s which almost never get used so it might be time to ditch some of those to make room for the LLL.

Food for thought...

Philip.

• Like 1

I think the stiff competition for this lens would be the Voightlander Nokton F1.  At about the same price. But.... the LLL would be a direct knock off which judging by their previous endeavours it will give the same experience and image quality of the 1966 F1.2.  My personal feeling is that LLL products are going to be Valuable in the future given their somewhat  limited runs and I doubt they will be doing this for a long time.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Harout62 said:

My personal feeling is that LLL products are going to be Valuable in the future given their somewhat  limited runs and I doubt they will be doing this for a long time.

I haven't been following LLL carefully, recently I was looking at Popflash's website and found an abundance of their lenses:

https://www.popflash.com/light-lens-lab/

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, darylgo said:

I haven't been following LLL carefully, recently I was looking at Popflash's website and found an abundance of their lenses:

https://www.popflash.com/light-lens-lab/

It’s just a hunch and my own feeling, usually small companies like this with very niche products in very small markets, either move on to something else or just fizzle away. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jankap said:

I have bought the Canon dreamlens some weeks ago...

Interesting lens! I must admit, though, that it's a bit far too big for my own preferences. Oddly enough one of our local (London) dealers currently has an example of the Dream lens as well as a 50mm f1.2 Canon and this last-mentioned did / does appeal...

The LLL 50mm f1.2, though, if their previous products are representative as to what we might expect will almost certainly be something quite special. No offence to anyone intended, of course, but those who pooh-pooh "Chinese Knock-Off Lenses" clearly have absolutely no idea about the reality of the sheer quality of the items nor of the dedication of the team behind the LLL products.

Having had a few hours to digest the story I would certainly be one who, without a shadow of a doubt, would buy this product at the price quoted if I have the chance. Black Chrome (or, even better, Black Paint!) would be perfect thank you very much.

Where do I sign?.....

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 7