Where do you store your lenses?

Humood

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some where on the internet I read where they say leather cameras bags ( real leather ) are not that good to use because the leather gets damp and promotes fungus and mold?

Anyone read the article?

My long departed Canon A1 got fungus on the viewfinder it was stored in a leather bag.

Jan

Leather is a little hygroscopic so will absorb moisture, but this could be a good thing if the air in and around the lens is moist, paper is the same for example. It's an interesting point, I wonder about those little sachet's found in camera boxes in the bottom, then change every few months ?

• Like 1

Leather is a little hygroscopic so will absorb moisture, but this could be a good thing if the air in and around the lens is moist, paper is the same for example. It's an interesting point, I wonder about those little sachet's found in camera boxes in the bottom, then change every few months ?

There desiccants, trouble with the little sachet's found in bags and camera boxes is theres no way to know if they are still active.

On the pelican desiccant tins theres a window and when it starts to get pink it is time to bake them. Thats why I have 10, only bake the lot once a year. I can change them often till all 10 are pink.

Jan, I will try to find the article on leather camera bags.

After reading all these posts, I realize I am not storing my gear very well. It has now dawned on me that keeping Leica lenses in Leica leather cases is about the worst thing for me to do, even though the room is kept to a maximum of 50% humidity via air conditioning when needed.

I'd like an affirmation on this assertion: Fungus will not grow in an environment of <60% and/or temperature of <60%. If true, then your 50% humidity should be okay. No?

TIA

• Like 1

I'd like an affirmation on this assertion: Fungus will not grow in an environment of <60% and/or temperature of <60%. If true, then your 50% humidity should be okay. No? TIA
NO all your lenses will be consumed by fungus very shortly, unless you give them to me:D (free of charge & indefinitely)

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

• Like 1

Hope you're correct, but I do not know. Also awaiting affirmation.

The recommended RH to prevent fungus growth is about 45%. However, too low such as below 30% could dry out the oil, lubricant and the leatherette. I have been using an electric dry cabinet for nearly 18 years and this is still the best way to prevent fungus growth in a humid environment. Prior to this I used silica gel, but it needed to be dried a few times a year. The latest electric dry cabinets have very accurate closed loop humidity control with LED display. Fungi can attack and destroy the lens coatings or even etch the glass.

N.S. Ng

• Like 1

The recommended RH to prevent fungus growth is about 45%. However, too low such as below 30% could dry out the oil, lubricant and the leatherette. I have been using an electric dry cabinet for nearly 18 years and this is still the best way to prevent fungus growth in a humid environment. Prior to this I used silica gel, but it needed to be dried a few times a year. The latest electric dry cabinets have very accurate closed loop humidity control with LED display. Fungi can attack and destroy the lens coatings or even etch the glass.

N.S. Ng

The humidity indoors has been 45% at the moment so I am thinking the UK may not be an issue, it will be a touch dryer in the summer suspect. The house is 'airy' due to original sash windows I am not sure if this helps or hinders

N.S. Ng

Thanks N.S. Ng. Any brand suggestions on an electric dry cabinet? Also what size is yours? I've got a couple of old Hassy bodies that I also want to preserve even though they are not worth much anymore, but I like them irregardless.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
...If you have more lenses than what are mounted on your camera(s) where do you keep them?

When I leave M cameras and lenses at home, they are in my Billingham 550 which is stored in one of these 2014 Browning HR26F Gun Safe Hunter Series : 11-29 Gun Safe - Multiple Colors! #GSHR26F

My safe weighs 900 pounds empty, so I doubt that a burglar could carry it off, let alone break into it.

• Like 1

I keep mine in Ikea cookie boxes.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I have a Pelican RSV soft case which fits into a 1560. It stores 2 bodies plus 6 lenses or so. It was a similar price to the divider or foam set.

that is for trips. For storage at home, I leave everything in a wooden cupboard in my hobby room, which is dry and has air movement.

• Like 1

Pelicans seal so put some desiccant inside to absorb moisture.

Cases are good protection, but I do not trust foam of any sort as it outgasses. It will seep inside lenses and fog them.

A dry box is best, as they are made of glass and have dehumidifiers built in.

I make lens cases from old sweat pants by making a bag and rolling up. Very good impact protection, cheap, and no outgassing problems. The soft bags from Chevis Regal also are good. Nikon lenses come with cloth bags.

Get a shoulder bag from Lowe Pro. Put the bagged lenses in side. They are an old line manufacturer and they do not use cheap material that will damage the gear. You have no idea what new developers are using. Billingham or Fogg should also be ok.

Leather is no good long term.