Where do you store your lenses?

Humood

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I store my Nikon gear in a Pelican 1600 with a dehumidifier pack added. The waterproof seal of the case keeps out humidity that would enter into a non-waterproof case or bag. I have a Pelican 1500 for my M camera kit with a dehumidifier pack.

For a Leica kit, the 1500 size Pelican will hold multiple lenses & bodies due to their compact size. The 1500 is about the size of a briefcase although about twice as thick (or deep) as a typical briefcase.

Regarding Pelican cases: Spend a few extra dollars and get the Pelican with the padded velcro divider inserts. I have seen well used Pelican cases where the pick & pluck foam had begun to deteriorate with age and use, leaving a multitude of tiny foam flakes to work their way into camera bodies and lenses. Definitely not a good thing.

Yeah, I have an old camera bag from around 1980 that did that. The black stuff got all in some old Minolta gear.

Yes and a good idea in a humid climate. In my 2 years of camera retail and the 4 years I worked for Canon (Melbourne), the number of lenses I encountered with fungus was quite high.

For the original poster... GET THE PELICAN... Those cases are excellent. I would put my gear in two cases. Find a carry around case and put your cameras in that and then put that inside the Pelican for storage or transport.

PELICAN +1

+ Pelican Desiccant just in case.

At home I keep everything in a large Pelican case. When travelling to humid and/or dusty areas I tend to use LOKSAK bags for protection.

LOKSAK works, but I'm not sure I'd store anything for a very long time in them because regardless of the mention of military use, there are no figures for their gas permeability. Waterproof does not mean gas permeation proof.

(For the curious, one plastic that is profoundly permeable to oxygen (and other gasses) are the tubes of Loctite for nuts and bolts (not all the other products). The contents set-up only in an anaerobic setting, so the tubes absolutely must admit oxygen.

Ach, but the author (moi) admits to using whatever the wife brings home - except for expedition bags. :)

--

OK, Now to shovel the walk and drives again. Have a good day, all.

Pellicase 1450 with steel box of hydrosorgent silicagel. And on a bookshelf to dry, when I have used them outside in moist weather.

Thats the one I have now, in ORANGE. No one can walk or run away with it without me seeing them. LOL

Pelican desiccant are great I have 10 of them. That way I only have to bake the lot around once a year.

Jan

Living in the tropics I have already been caught with fungus growing on a lens.

I managed to see it in time and the lens is still fine to use. I used Ponds Cold Cream to halt the spread of the fungus.

So all lens and cameras (when not in use) are stored in clear plastic air tight containers with LOTS of silica gel.

No more problems since.

Toyo Living Auto Clean Dry cabinet. example: Rakuten: [free shipping] [amount-limited] storage of Orient living automatic clean dry dampproofing 41L ED-41CDB- Shopping Japanese products from Japan

The summer in Tokyo is extremely humid and hot and fungus develops in no time. The winter on the other hand is completely dry and the cabinet is a good protector from dust etc. during that season.

• Like 1

After reading all these posts, I realize I am not storing my gear very well. It has now dawned on me that keeping Leica lenses in Leica leather cases is about the worst thing for me to do, even though the room is kept to a maximum of 50% humidity via air conditioning when needed.

Do you then NOT store in Pelican cases WITH lenses in their Leica leather cases?

Those of us who live in Western Europe are fortunate. Our climate may be boring but it is rarely threatening either to us or our equipment.

Alwyn

Should I not worry with lenses in a pouch in a camera bag indoors in a camera bag ? I live in Hertfordshire in a well ventilated house (Old with sash windows !)

I just have one Leica lens so it's on the camera most of the time.. I have an old SLR kit though and it's been in its original hard faux leather case/bag for forty years, the lenses looks mostly ok but some filters seems to have gone bad. The indoor climate here in Scandinavia is pretty good though.

I just have one Leica lens so it's on the camera most of the time.. I have an old SLR kit though and it's been in its original hard faux leather case/bag for forty years, the lenses looks mostly ok but some filters seems to have gone bad. The indoor climate here in Scandinavia is pretty good though.

Some where on the internet I read where they say leather cameras bags ( real leather ) are not that good to use because the leather gets damp and promotes fungus and mold?

Anyone read the article?

My long departed Canon A1 got fungus on the viewfinder it was stored in a leather bag.

Jan