Storing lenses at home

paulscr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How are you all storing your lenses at home?

Assuming camera (and perhaps an additional lens) ready for action (I keep mine in a sling) - but wondered where people keep their lenses when not in regular use. 

Thinking about getting a Peli hard case (eg storm im2100) for this purpose.

Secret compartment.  Sometimes I have trouble finding a lens cap.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

4 hours ago, paulscr said:

Thinking about getting a Peli hard case (eg storm im2100) for this purpose.

I use Pelicases (I have 14+) and have a great deal to say in praise of Peli interms of support. BUT if you store anything in a waterproof and airtight container of any sort it will need a dessicant in too - to remove any damp which goes into the case with the stuff stored in it. I use Indicator Silica Gel which is readily available (try ebay) and can be dried out ad resused provided it is not over heated (keep it below boiling - 80 degrees C. I put this in old film containers with a fine mesh over the top (old stocking, plankton net, whatever) and put a couple in each Pelicase, and monitor them. I change them when the indicator goes from orange (dry) to green (damp) which is how more recent and safer indicator Silica Gel works. Older Silica Gel is blue (dry) and goes to pink (damp) but contains cobalt which is poisonous. It should be disposed of according to environmental controls because it is not nice stuff. I've stored equipment like this for years with no adverse effect and no problems due to damp.

• Thanks 1

Keeping lenses with little moving parts in humidity levels around 40 is ok but cameras and shutters do better around 60. It depends on where you live. Here in California I just keep them in the closet. It’s the rain season and I now have lenses in those sealed food storage bins with a pack of desiccant and I have a humidity meter inside I can see to make sure it doesn’t go below 45.

Edited by rtai

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I did a very quick search and stopped counting at 12 forum threads regarding lens storage.  Probably some good ideas there.

Jeff

Damn. Apologies - I was having a lazy moment. 
turns out - lens storage is something people put thought into. My accessories box was getting a little full - so thought I’d split out the lenses - seems a little more research needed here. 

19 minutes ago, paulscr said:

Damn. Apologies - I was having a lazy moment. 
turns out - lens storage is something people put thought into. My accessories box was getting a little full - so thought I’d split out the lenses - seems a little more research needed here. 

No need to apologize; the forum would die without repetition.  We could use a good bag discussion.

Jeff

• Haha 5

A thread on Leather cases especially the ones that come with the lens is overdue. Leather + humidity = fungus. I separate my Leica lenses from their leather case permanently until I need to sell them.

I've never been convinced that fungus that lives on leather also lives on lens glass and coatings. That's quite a varied diet. Isn't it more likely that fungus on leather is more visible than on lenses - so when a lens in a leather case is attacked by fungus, the conditions are such that the leather will be visibly affected by fungus as well? And so people associate fungus on lenses with leather.

There's more than enough fungus spores around the normal household to provide some that live on lens and lens coatings. I doubt that removing leather from the equation reduces the risk from fungus (which thrives on humidity and lack of light).

Edited by LocalHero1953

What stops fungus in its tracks is dry air and UV light. So don’t store in leather pouches of cases which can absorb moisture, and use silica gel to keep the air dry in a drawer or cupboard. And use them. 

8 hours ago, robsonj said:

A ruggard climate controlled cabinet

When I read this, initially thought a dedicated climate controlled lens cabinet (in the uk) was a little overkill - researched a little more and turns out about the same price as the Peli case I was thinking about. And given I’m not planning on taking my lenses kayaking with me - a cabinet probably a better idea. 

Edited by paulscr

36 minutes ago, paulscr said:

When I read this, initially thought a dedicated climate controlled lens cabinet (in the uk) was a little overkill - researched a little more and turns out about the same price as the Peli case I was thinking about. And given I’m not planning on taking my lenses kayaking with me - a cabinet probably a better idea. 

Yes, they’re not crazy expensive and the ruggard one I bought some years ago has been great