M9 spotted in Leica Youtube Video...

stevem7

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If Leica can get the same level of marketing and turn it into profit like Apple does, then it's fine by me.

Better than being like Contax owners.

Oh I agree but it's even more funny as I just found out Apple has a media event on 9/9/09.

BTW - I too was a Contax owner and I still think it was the best modern MF camera system I ever owned. I want Leica to flourish more than anyone with both the M? and the S2.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Being an optimistic: any speculations for october 10, 2010? R10 anyone? :D

At first I was very secptic: who is Rudi Spiller, Who is the poster on Youtube? Then I found it to be on Leica's website as well...

Ok I give up: going to comment on the alleged info:

1. Why this recess on the top plate? Surely everythimg must have a function

2. Poor JaapV as he is going to lose the protect button

3. Hurray for the Iso button

4. Hurray as well for ditching the S mode...

Boen

Edited by HetDraakje

Hmmm, suppose there might be a upgrade 8.2 upgrade to remove the stupid mode. that might be a 8.2.1 with a old m8 shutter speed dial... I would pay for that, can't say how many times I have accidentally found my self in the S mode and nothing works. until I finally figure out that I hit the dial... ARGH.

Hmm... It looks like they took one of there prototypes, and stuck a few clips, just to tease us... We don't even know if was the final.

But as it stands, it does not look as if it will work with Visoflex. The higher viewfinder will kill that (except for the smokestack). If that is true... Then I need to keep my M8...

They can afford the risk of this (not total, as you correctly say) incompatibility... anyway, surely a new Viso is on the way... Frank has precise indications about it :D

The lens attached to the M8/9 in the video, what is it? It looks about the size of a 35 lux but the hood arrangement seems different. I can't seem to recognize it.

Congrats on the arrival of your FF digital M.

Perhaps a new design for the 35 Lux? I can't believe they won't announce one or two new lenses as well;)

first put this in the fuzzy science category..... but here goes:

I took one of the screen shots and opened it in a program called GraphicConverter. One of the tools it has is a caliper that you can use to measure stuff on the screen. First you take an initial measurement and calibrate to a known distance. Since i don't have much to work off in terms of unobstructed views of the camera I used the the flash hot shoe as the basis for all other measurements. Interesting they have left very few long straight edges on the hot shoe compared to the M8. I measured my M8 and came up with 16mm from front to back of the right most side of the hot shoe. Using this as the scale i proceeded to measure as much as i could...

the top plate running front to back (thickness) measures 33mm (my M8 is 36mm) so it looks like it has gotten skinnier...

Since i can't find anything that shows the full top of the camera ( there are pictures in the video showing the m8 and m8.2 but not the new one) i can only measure part of the top. in the video they show a good picture from hot shoe to the left of the top plate. The left most edge is squared off where as with the M8 it is curved and forms the side of the camera. The distance on the new camera is 74mm which is the same as the M8 if you ignore the curve. (look at left front edge of the top plate it actually has a notch before the curve begins). On the new camera that curve which forms the side is well set back almost 9mm from the front of the camera. My guess if the camera we are seeing on the video is indeed what is getting released is that it skinnier front to back by 3mm and probably just a touch wider maybe 5mm but again just guessing as what i was able to measure.

Lastly the LCD screen in the back appears to be the same size as the M8, 55mm side to side. I can't see enough to get a diagonal measurement....

No guarantees on the accuracy of this but the hot shoe which i used to determine the scale seems to hold up as it yielded the correct width of the back LCD ( assuming they are using the same size screen...)

Edited by jquimby

Boen,

The measurements on that post is probably a little flawed. this is shot with a long lens for perspective, and the things which is said to line up, only line up if seen straight on, as they are on different levels on the camera. I can't say what the dimensions are, but the clip did not suggest a significantly smaller camera in the moving images in the hand of the user.

In addition, it looks almost possible that the display have moved slightly to the left in some of the other angles. my wild guess is that the display itself is probably also the best reference for size, as it seems like a direct carry over. can't see any reason leica would change things they are happy with.

Everthing is way out of my budget at the moment so I won't be buying any of it, no less exciting though :)

Me too haven't any plan to buy it now ...but anyway am excited; I waited 3 years for switching from IIIf to M, 9 months about for switching from film M to M8... something in the middle could indeed be my timing... ;)

I predict an exposure comp wheel just out of sight in the stepdown. And an oled display on the back showing battery, shots to go, iso and exposure comp.

The top plate seems to be similar to Leica MP's.

note the extreme left hand corner - seems like it's different than M8 , as others have mentioned here.

Edited by Woody Campbell

OK, here's a guess. The M9 is a little wider than the M8. The step down seems to extend the camera body and give the extra space for the new sensor. View the pic on page 6 of this thread. Maybe?

Also, the ON/OFF switch letters seem closer to the back edge of the camera than before. Thinner? Maybe? Whatever - this is fun!

Best,

Ron