M9 spotted in Leica Youtube Video...

stevem7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

all i know is that the m8 and m8.2 do not have an "s".

m8.2 from the Leica website...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guess what I see between the 54 and 58 second mark in the new Leica video...

:)

Lots of speculation. My wife is not happy about this AT ALL. My first and only Leica digital M8 cost me $5500 and now sells on ebay for half that. When the new M9 hits the market, the price of the M8 will drop like a rock as ebay is flooded with them. I would love to see a user-entered lens ID menu option. I don't mind the IR filters, and I note that it is the lack of an AA filter- which created the need for IR filters on the lenses- that preserves the sharpness of our Leica lenses. So eliminating the IR filter automatically lowers image resolution- not a good trade off as far as I am concerned. I doubt seriously that they can get a full frame due to the physics of the acute angle light rays from a wide angle in the corners of the frame hitting a flat pixel plane and not the 3-d thickness of film. I would like to see a higher resolution say 15+MP but would keep the current 10MP to gain high ISO performance. We will all see what happens!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Elementary, my dear Watson.

It is clearly an M8 from the screen shots, but it does have some significant changes besides the ISO button. If you look at the menu, it says for metering : "Multi Field" which implies selective metering. Therefore, said Holmes, it is not an M9 but more likely an M8.3, my dear Watson!!!

So it appears that the new digital rangefinder camera will have the same sensor size, in the same body with some new tweaks that may or may not be available for significant cash sent to Solms or New Jersey for upgrade.

After another rough Monday at work, I cannot believe that I read all the posts up to here...

Leica - you absolutely drive us nuts. I do not believe that any single woman could do this to us...

I wonder why there is the cut-away at top left corner.. Something to do with possible 'adjustable viewfinder magnification'? I thought about something to do with an EV comp function (a wee wheel hiding there) but the location is not suitable for operation.

Also, I first thought that the M9 (whatever it is) might be a hybrid camera, film and digital, and there is actually a film rewind knob at topleft corner. You know, the sensor is actually the existing 1.33x sensor but embedded in the film pressure plate. When we want FF, we put a roll of film in there. Voila!

:D

Have you noticed that the left side of the screen on the back seems to be closer to the left end of the camera? There are fingers there but no camera. Or so it seems.

Is the screen larger? The distance between the top of the screen and the bottom of the viewfinder seems more than on an M8 too.

Or . . . ?

And did you notice the serial number?

We'll see.

About the measurement that shows the new camera to be a bit wider...

When Mark took the M8 apart to check to see if it could handle a FF sensor, he determined it couldn't because of the battery compartment -- not enough room, but it only needed a few more millimeters. This would be resolved if the camera was just a few mm's wider, would it not? The new measurment sems to fold exactly into what Mark determined.

JC

Guest guy_mancuso

Like kids searching the house for their present before Christmas. :)

Now what happens if that was all a prototype of something else or in the very early stages of development. :D

Just arrived home and checked snail mail. I have received an invitation from a local, Washington-area dealer to their Leica Day event on September 9th. It says, "Join us for a landmark event on September 9th, 2009 from noon to 5 p.m. when we will introduce the next generation of Leica products."

The significance to this -- the reason I'm posting -- is because this is not B+H Photo in New York. This is a terrific, but small exurban dealer. If they are showing the next generation of products in the flesh, as it were, on that day, that means many other Leica dealers will have an M9 that day. Which means that there are many M9s made. Which means that we really will see M9s available for purchase soon after 9/9/09, if not that day.

Whoopee.

I receive a similar invite from a small local camera shop in the Philly suburbs.

Sorry Holmes, back to detective school for you :)

It IS an M something. I bet you beers it says M9 on the front.

There are some screen shots of the M8.2 (some of white M8 too). The others are not.

S2 shown as well

Some of the calibration jig at the factory for bodies, I think. We were not allowed to photograph them when visiting

The multifield metering shot, maybe belongs to S2??? Anyone that has seen that working able to comment?

What about the projected distance display someone mentioned, S2 again?

We need to fast forward to the 9th about now ;)

Elementary, my dear Watson.

It is clearly an M8 from the screen shots, but it does have some significant changes besides the ISO button. If you look at the menu, it says for metering : "Multi Field" which implies selective metering. Therefore, said Holmes, it is not an M9 but more likely an M8.3, my dear Watson!!!

So it appears that the new digital rangefinder camera will have the same sensor size, in the same body with some new tweaks that may or may not be available for significant cash sent to Solms or New Jersey for upgrade.