M9 spotted in Leica Youtube Video...

stevem7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Have you guys taken into account that the start of the hotshoe track is angled back - it is not 90 degrees - and not in line with the rest of the body of the camera?

When I was taking the measurements, I was using a tool that would measure in pixels the distance of a line I drew. I used my M8 and ruler to determine the length of the right most rail or track on the hot shoe. I then drew a line on the longest portion of the hot shoe in the picture and calibrated the line distance instead of pixels as mm. All subsequent measurements were based off using the right side hot shoe being 16mm. In each photo i would draw a line along the longest axis of the right side hot shoe set that equal to 16mm and proceed to measure.

I didn't take into account any other factors other than the assumption that they were using the same dimensions for the hot shoe (which I was betting was a standardized size)

Not sure if that helps

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

None of which is surprising, since there are min. and max. depths the body can be and still hold an LCD back-to-back with a sensor, and also allow infinity focus with M lenses.

The interesting distance is the sensor to flange distance. In theory there'd be nothing to stop Leica having a thinner body if the lens mount protruded out from the front of the body - which i what I think they did to a certain degree with the M8.

jquimby - yes - it does - I think then that you are right apart from one thing to remember that we're possibly not taking into account...

Which is that the objects closer to the viewer appear larger - foreshortening - so it might be that in fact we still can't be sure unless you can be bothered to take a pic of your M8 in the same angle and re-do the same procedure on that to check....

:-))

Andy I presume these are carefully orchestrated peeks as part of the launch

Indeed, a stripper doesn't gain an audience's attention by starting her act by showing all she's got. The relevant part of the word striptease is tease. Leica have finally got some clever marketing people on board. You just need to look at the feeding frenzy here to see that <grin>.

I didn't use that image for the measurement (pic 2)

Look at the hot shoes from both of your images, they are different. Looking at the track on the right side the left portion is notched in one pic then not in the other... maybe we have multiple prototypes or maybe we are getting two new rangefinders?

now i have grabbed two screenshots - both re-measured around the left hand side of the hotshoe - same points in both the photos.

reference = hotshoe = 16mm

measurements are

1st pic = 31.5mm

2nd pic: = 33.78mm

so, still they vary, and it's a bit confusing.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by leica007

This is beginning to get a bit anal, guys.

Pretending that you can measure to within a 1mm accuracy from a YouTube video HAS to be pushing the boundaries of sanity... :)

Is there any sanity in this entire Thread? Of course not! What fun would there be in that?

Jeff, yes, Ace Photo in Ashland. A wonderful resource, if a little far to get to. Bought my first and second M8s from them, and assorted lenses.

Thanks, John...appreciate the follow-up. I'm coming from B'more, and last time DC beltway was stopped...took two and a half hours one way...and I drank a large bottle of water on the way:eek:

Jeff

Too late to talk Leica into loaning you an M9 to try!, Leica can see you disrespecting digital capture in your sig block for 700 posts or so :)

1000 rolls of Kodachrome might represent the majority of the world's holdings. Kodak might buy some back from you!

Best keep your fingers crossed that the last lab doesn't shut down before you use them all up.!

If the camera does we all hope it does, I will change my sig...:-)

I am crafting a letter at the moment, I just can't afford to spend 6-8K on a new digital camera right now as I need to pay the balance on this photo device when I go to pick it up in about 10 days, I am going to live in it for well over a year:

https://www.allterraincampers.com/

One of the reasons I am going to write them is that I would rather bring an M9 along on this journey for digital work than a D700, it would be more seamless integration since I use Leica for 90% of the Kodachrome images. Since the economy has tanked and the photo economy is even worse, I do have to bring a digital in order to work when I can.

We'll see....