I love my M4-P !!

Guest maddoc2003jp

• 3 months later...

Hi everybody. in 2007 I got my first Leica M, it was an M8, then I got a second body and many lenses Elmarit 28mm, Summicron 35mm, Summicron 50mm, Notilux 1.0, Summilux 75mm and Elmarit 90mm.... and in 2010/11 I sold everything to go to Canon and said I'd never go back to digital M but will be back one day with film M. Yesterday I got an M4-P along with an Elmar 50mm so YESSSSS, I am back and ready to shoot films. Here is a quick cell phone picture. 

26991680_927591524084267_856948488186978

• Like 3

This is my M4P, with some lenses. As a previous poster said I find the M4P nicer to use than the M6 as I am not looking at the metering indicators all the time and adjusting the aperture/speed. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

No one seems to have liked their M4P since I added to this post in January. So I have just used my M4P again, with my 35mm Summicron.

Here is a picture of the Norfolk Wherry Albion with the mast being refitted after a winter lay-up. (scanned from an A4 darkroom print)

For more about Albion see  http://wherryalbion.com/

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK dumb question of the year, none of my straps on other cameras either fit my M4P or they have metal rubbing on the body. What works best, i don't want a narrow strap that rubs soar on the neck after a few hours either. Suggestions please.

Cheers,

Kev.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple shots of the results of my M4-P's recent trip to Nobblyon's Spa:> P1020104.JPG another:P1020098.JPGand one more:P1020105.JPGJohn's work has pleased me. The new covering is griptac charcoal. Another option I like is aki asashi's 4034 pebble emboss --- I have used it on other Ms.

Wow that's a beauty!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK dumb question of the year, none of my straps on other cameras either fit my M4P or they have metal rubbing on the body. What works best, i don't want a narrow strap that rubs soar on the neck after a few hours either. Suggestions please.

Cheers,

Kev.

I don't worry too much about rubbing, but in terms of a super-comfy strap, I have a 48" Lance strap on mine.  And I attach it with #8 split rings and 350 lb test fishing line swivels to the camera lugs.  I have the same set-up on my Leica R8, and it really helps to allow my finger to easily get to notoriously un-easy shutter button access (the split rings and swivels keep the thick straps out of the way, and also more easily allows the thick straps to un-twist if they ever want to twist up). 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just aquired an unused M4-P the limited edition celebrating 70 years. It is paired with my M7. Found a winder and light meter to partner with the pristine body, special serial, I xxx. Getting the accessories together and then I’ll be ready. I love the solid heft and feel, what I find lacking in the M7.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, edstock said:

Just aquired an unused M4-P the limited edition celebrating 70 years. It is paired with my M7. Found a winder and light meter to partner with the pristine body, special serial, I xxx. Getting the accessories together and then I’ll be ready. I love the solid heft and feel, what I find lacking in the M7.

Is that heft and feel perhaps due to the crap you added to the M4-P?

1 hour ago, edstock said:

Strange, the M7 is heavier than the M4-P. I haven't bought one yet, but I held a M4-P a while ago, and was surprised at how light it was compared with the M7.

54 minutes ago, Archiver said:

Strange, the M7 is heavier than the M4-P. I haven't bought one yet, but I held a M4-P a while ago, and was surprised at how light it was compared with the M7.

Maybe you had the zinc alloy body M4-P.

16 hours ago, Archiver said:

I weighted some years ago, when I didn't know what to do 😵:

🙌

variable is the conclusion, I don't know why

(always in same configuration, no film, no strap, no cap, ...)

- M4-P black chrome # 1 515 xxx at 543g is a bit heavier than # 1 587 xxx 's 537g

- M4-P silver chrome 1913-1983 model # 1 637 xxx heavier yet 550g

- M4-2 black chrome # 1 502 xxx was the lightest (M with VF) at 523g

- MDa was lightest in my Ms at 472g (benefice from lack of VF of course)

- MP was heaviest at 600g

- as side note (outsider ...) M4 Black Paint 1 246 xxx ( 538g ! ) almost same weight as one M4-P

- M4 black chrome 541g when M4 silver chrom was 547g for one and the other 555g

Sorry, never had M7, so no weight ✍️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

my back up for the M5 😀

Edited by Pono

The M4-P cameras are great working horses, I got mine 1986 second hand for approx. 900€ (the invoice shows DM...), Leicameter included, w/o lens. The camera still is very reliable, but needs a CLA now, the viewfinder windows are a little foggy inside.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

My wet afternoon's photo project using a few A4 sheets of white paper glued together and rolled into 'sweep' background … an A4 sheet folded into an 'L'  for use as a reflector … and some dull kitchen window illumination …  Leica M4-P '70th Anniversary' photos taken with a Leica C compact 

cont'd …..

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1