I love my M4-P !!

Guest maddoc2003jp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... now that we had the "I love my MP, M6, M7" but what about the "under-dog", the black-chrome M4-P ?

The first Leica having a VF with 6 frame-lines, a motor-drive or rapid-winder can be attached, all M-lenses with or without googles (including the DR Summicron) and the Super-Angulon-M can be used without restrictions. Isn't it the most versatile and at the same time puristic camera Leica ever made ?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please dont laugh ! ;-) Yes, I was young, yes, I had a beard ;-) ... long time ago....I visited Magnum to present some pics in Paris Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Here's my girl, replaced the leatherette with a kit from Aki Asahi, and just got my voigtlander 35/2.5 in today. "she's a beaut Clark" Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!  Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!  Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden conte

Now with my newly purchased 35/1.4 summilux pre asph. from Canada. Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Posted Images

LOL!

I have wayy to many shots and I just lose track. I don't know where and when to post. I never update my site... But still, here are 2 from this past week with the M4-P + Hexanon 28 and Beloved Plus-X!

----

P.S.: Gabor, congrats for the LFI Editor's choice! Way to go!

Guest maddoc2003jp

Ned, these are great !! I like the dynamic and contrast a lot, film still rules and that M4-P rocks !!

... and thank you for the congrats !!! First time ever that one of my photos has been selected !! I used my Noctilux for this one and it was you encouraging me all the time !!!

Leica has never made a bad M. The only real differences between the M4-2 the M4 was the lack of the self timer, but it gained the ability to use the M4-2 Winder. The M4-P was indeed the first M with 6 Frames and, if memory serves me correctly, the first with a zinc top plate.

I used both, and both were reliable, but the M5 is still my personal favorite Film M. For me, everything about it right.

Yes! It's the other MP!

Att: rsh, the M4-P was a transitional camera between the M4-2 and the M6. Therefore the early examples, most having no.s 15xxx, had brass top plates and late examples, 16xxx, had zinc top plates (this is not hard-and-fast). The M4-P was essentially either an M4-2 with extra frame lines or a meter-less M6. As for 'black chrome', well, "pretty is as pretty does". I hope to be ordering an MP on the A LACARTE programme. It shall be black chrome.

Yours,

R. Morrison, M4-P, etc.

M4-P gives me the benefits of using an M-system. And I'd rather spend the rest of my limited budget for lenses and film

Guest maddoc2003jp

... and very well spent. IMHO !! The illuminated balloon in # 1 adds well to a nice dusk / dawn (which of both ?) scene. Could you share some more details, film and lens ?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest maddoc2003jp

Back from service (Leica Japan) ...

Taken with this combo on Superpresto @ 1600ISO:

Guest maddoc2003jp
I loved my M4-P also, it is a great camera, too bad I don't have it anymore

You should get yourself another one !

(M4-P + Noctilux / Tri-X)

A chrome M4-P purchased from Don Chatterton was my second re-entry into the M world in 1984 or 1985. I traded it to Jim Kuehl in 1989 or so during my second exit from the M world. It was a great camera - I'd rather have my M6es (and still do, courtesy of my third re-entry into the M world), but the -P is a very fine camera.

Mine had the earlier brass top plate...fwiw. I now have a late chrome M4. I don't use it a lot - the M6es get more use and truth be told the RD-1 gets more use because scanning is a PITA....shame on me, too...

There is a chrome M4-P somewhere in the house - together with flush M6-type windowpanes - but I still don´t know the workflow to put a photo up on this site ...

Shame on me.

Best

• 3 weeks later...