101 reasons for having an M8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK, those were two grab shots, possible due to the ease of handling, small and inconspicuous form of the camera and its quick response.

Those aren't 'features' so they don't make it 'better' than another camera. They don't even make the pictures better. But they make the camera intuitive and rapid-handling in use.

Now to the quality of the Leica glass and I've referred before to its flare resistance. Not a shot you'd want to do with autofocus, by the way.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lenses that cope with the most gentle of colour gradations...101.36

And can "pop" with the best of them.. 101.37

This is the only reason to have an M8:

and:

My point being that a rangefinder camera is essential for this kind of work and the M8 is the only digital camera currently available which allows me to work as i would with a leica m6 etc. which is how i would normally work. Dslr's such as the D3 are no doubt great but i for one, do not need a camera which works at 6400 asa - that means that there are no more "mistakes" no more blurs and all the magic that happens when you push things to the limit. if you have a camera that does it all then you are confined to the "perfect exposure" and that isnt what photography is about- at least not for me. i like the prospect of a surprise when i push it and attempt the impossible. i dont want perfection i want photography. and to all those people who buy M8's because it is a Leica and you feel superior because you have paid such a premium to have the camera - you are missing the point; take pictures. that is really all that matters. Otherwise buy a Nikon D3 because that is "perfection" in this digital world and god knows the world needs perfecting. Cheers, Jon Lister

I am in that sort of mood where i feel that all the negativity surrounding the M8 is just [***]; [***] Kambers Iraq field test etc. his pictures are not that great anyway. I couldnt help thinking that i wouldnt want to waste any time over what he was complaining about anyway. i mean, the pictures used to illustrate the shortcomings were just rubbish anyway so why complain. he obviously had a bad run and all i can say is i would "most definitely take an M8 to Iraq" and i would bet that i wouldnt have any of the problems that he has had. i too have used Leica cameras for decades including conflict situations, the M8 is perfect for this. I believe another photojournalist has written positive things about his experiences in Iran - the M8 is a digital M6 and i love it. it is all about the pictures. [***]!

I'm sorry, I forgot to put **** in place of bad words... and i should perhaps mention that all these pictures were exposed at 640asa - under exposed by 2/3ds raw format and corrected in Adobe cs3 requiring little or no correction. The Leica M8 is a wonderful camera. full stop. period. [***]

A warning to us all to be careful when posting a message under the influence.

Quite frankly the last piece of advice is ridiculous. A rangefinder isn't for everyone, neither is the M8. Presumably your sentiments are being extended to everyone who uses Leica SLRs, or point and shoot cameras.

overall, i'm quite happy to read a good, strong and positive message from bondipix and others about the m8, even with "bad" words.

it was a refreshing change from all the posters who use every opportunity, photo, press article and review about leica, particularly the m8, to find the negative elements among all the positives, then shout "see, i told you how bad it was!"

i like the m8 and associate lenses a lot. i switched from a very good DSLR and lenses (great products all) and have never had a second thought about changing to the m8. personal decision only. BUT! i think that if i wanted to sing the praises of another brand, which is certainly possible, it might be more interesting to do it on that brand's site or forum, not here.

soapbox time over.

good weekend to all

rick

Jon;

... i like the prospect of a surprise when i push it and attempt the impossible. i dont want perfection i want photography. ...

yes, Yes, YES!!

I thank the lord for all the misfits, mistakes, etc, that make this life wonderful. It's the differences that matter, not the act of conforming to some committee-determined standard.

JohnS.

Added to these words:

Many of the posted pictures might seem trivial, but actually show some special things of the M8.

Take JaapV's little red ladybird (lieveheersbeestje, Marienkäfer). Look at the saturation it has. Or all wide open pictures (including Nocti's).

Now that is quite a difference from other DSLR shots with image stabilization, auto-focus and other gadgets.

These pictures are showing objects with great curvature, and still present a useful and pleasing plane of focus - what no AF camera or modern DSLR (with factory savings on the ground grass) will allow. The M-system has this great advantage of knowing the plane. Taking pictures at infinity is no big thing; I did architecure for years but got depressed. Postprocessing ain't th right thing imho either.

Another example. No shot I have ever seen in this forum uses a flash (well, I have seen one... OK, but that was in a string about how to do it) so hidden things like that need to be uncovered as well and should make part of the favourable stance we share.

It is a trivial remark to say these pictures are not differentiating. They are, but alas, like art, it is in the beholder.

alberti

"Many of the posted pictures might seem trivial, but actually show some special things of the M8."

This post was trivial pursuit and that is what made it so much fun. This forum needs more posts like this. Not everyone buys a camera to produce "art" or to be a ground breaker that pushes the limits of photography. Thanks for this thread! On second thought maybe we could add this post as a reason.

My point being that a rangefinder camera is essential for this kind of work and the M8 is the only digital camera currently available which allows me to work as i would with a leica m6 etc. which is how i would normally work. Dslr's such as the D3 are no doubt great but i for one, do not need a camera which works at 6400 asa - that means that there are no more "mistakes" no more blurs and all the magic that happens when you push things to the limit. if you have a camera that does it all then you are confined to the "perfect exposure" and that isnt what photography is about- at least not for me. i like the prospect of a surprise when i push it and attempt the impossible. i dont want perfection i want photography. and to all those people who buy M8's because it is a Leica and you feel superior because you have paid such a premium to have the camera - you are missing the point; take pictures. that is really all that matters. Otherwise buy a Nikon D3 because that is "perfection" in this digital world and god knows the world needs perfecting. Cheers, Jon Lister

this sounds you suggest that working with a "less perfect" tool increases creativity. I can not see how it would.

For me the freedom towrk with high ISO gives me more room to be creative, because I can use the f-stop and DOF I want and not the one I get dictated by the avaibility of light.

Cheers, Tom