101 reasons for having an M8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Tom,

I understand and agree to some level what you are saying, but I know that when I am limited in my possibilities to solve a problem I try extra hard to come up with a solution. Sometime, not always, this results in very creative and refreshing results. On the other had being able to do things you were not able to do before, like with the high iso qualities of the D3, can also provide you with new creative possibilities.

I recently bought a second hand book of Ernst Haas, Color photography. In this book there are pictures of the bull fight from the fifties, in color. The ISO values of the color film were too slow for the action pictures. He creatively used this to his advantage.

So I think both statements are true.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...... It works much better on the M8

And it got me out to the beach last week. Anybody keeping count of what number we have got to, or is it irrelevant?

........... Chris

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I've been traveling for a week, (with the M8 and M5 of course) and just now am finding this thread, and thoroughly enjoying it and endorsing the positive sentiments about the camera. I've also discovered the good use of the "ignore" option for the first time. One only wishes for such an option in the real world! best...Peter

this sounds you suggest that working with a "less perfect" tool increases creativity. I can not see how it would.

For me the freedom towrk with high ISO gives me more room to be creative, because I can use the f-stop and DOF I want and not the one I get dictated by the avaibility of light.

Cheers, Tom

Tell us which camera is a perfect tool for everyone. You purchase a camera for what ever reason you have and work with its strengths and limitations to produce your photography. I don't understand this demand on Leica to produce a perfect camera when someone is always going to claim a limitation. It would be nice if we could all sit down individually with a camera designer and have our perfect camera made for us but that is not practical from a cost stand point to either the end user or the manufacturers.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Tell us which camera is a perfect tool for everyone. You purchase a camera for what ever reason you have and work with its strengths and limitations to produce your photography. I don't understand this demand on Leica to produce a perfect camera when someone is always going to claim a limitation. It would be nice if we could all sit down individually with a camera designer and have our perfect camera made for us but that is not practical from a cost stand point to either the end user or the manufacturers.

Couldn't agree more. I started as an amateur with my father's Leica III and Rolleicord TLR. In the 60s I moved on to the Pentax Spotmatic with a couple of lenses and then spent years using OM1 and OM2. I started getting paid to take photos around the time I bought an M6 and a 35mm Summicron 4 and spent some years working professionally with Leica and Canon EOS 1n and 1v and scanning film. Now the M8 sits alongside my Canon system (I tried the 1Ds and 1Dm2 got rid of them because they were too big and heavy - lovely tools, but not things I wanted to carry around all day), and am now delighted that the M8 lets me work how I want to, and that the 5D with L series lenses lets me do other work.

And that was the whole point of the thread. There are 101 reasons for having an M8 - and none of them necessarily are reasons for getting rid of other systems.

Best.

T go back to the thread. Reason 1XX!

When AF struggles or you'd have to resort to manual focus or it would take time to select a specific focus point (I know I have to do this on my other cameras) or whatever... the M8 is SO simple to focus. 90 Summicron wide open

T go back to the thread. Reason 1XX!

When AF struggles or you'd have to resort to manual focus or it would take time to select a specific focus point (I know I have to do this on my other cameras) or whatever... the M8 is SO simple to focus. 90 Summicron wide open

And what we should not forget is the accuracy of the RF concept compared to a SLR where the ground-glass has been optimized for a specific max aperature - not a combination of 90 mm/F2 for instance. So focussing, other than using AF, would be impossible nowadays at least. And AF is a nightmare. Always at the wrong place. Here I include a challenge.

Mind you, it is 1/16 sec. Handheld, a feat by itself. 90 mm @ f4 though (macro-elmar 90 mm) so the shallow DOF doesn't stand out too much.

alberti

And what we should not forget is the accuracy of the RF concept compared to a SLR where the ground-glass has been optimized for a specific max aperature - not a combination of 90 mm/F2 for instance. So focussing, other than using AF, would be impossible nowadays at least. And AF is a nightmare. Always at the wrong place. Here I include a challenge.

Mind you, it is 1/16 sec. Handheld, a feat by itself. 90 mm @ f4 though (macro-elmar 90 mm) so the shallow DOF doesn't stand out too much.

alberti

Alberti, I'm a Leica lover and owner, but what you describe is not my experience at all.

The Pro AF systems on DSLR's work very well indeed and across the whole frame with the 45 AF point systems. Critical focus can be assured, even when the subject is on the move. That's not possible with a rangefinder system in my experience where it's easier to compensate by closing the aperture for greater depth of field.

The RF system is fundamentally flawed for critical focus of off-centre subjects, but we accommodate that because we love using the RF cameras.

Here's a response to your out-of-focus challenge. This heavily cropped image was shot with a Canon 24-70mm zoom, wide open at f2.8 using an an off-centre focus point. Hand held at 1/15s and at 800 iso in RAW, unsharpened.

The contact lens is clear to see. Have you got any 'sharp images' to compare ? Your image demonstrates camera shake and I experience that too at slow speeds, but it's no basis for your complete bias.

Rolo

My second day with the M8, my first post, and my first picture with it:

2632909752_11f5e0b408_b.jpg

My XXX reason for loving this camera: The learning curve with an RF may be steep, but the thrill of taking pictures is back.

Eman

Alberti, I'm a Leica lover and owner, but what you describe is not my experience at all.

The Pro AF systems on DSLR's work very well indeed and across the whole frame with the 45 AF point systems. Critical focus can be assured, even when the subject is on the move. That's not possible with a rangefinder system in my experience where it's easier to compensate by closing the aperture for greater depth of field.

The RF system is fundamentally flawed for critical focus of off-centre subjects, but we accommodate that because we love using the RF cameras.

Here's a response to your out-of-focus challenge. () Your image demonstrates camera shake and I experience that too at slow speeds, but it's no basis for your complete bias.

Rolo

A shoot-out! Accept my lack of heavy experience of AF, that was more like a side remark. It is the lenses like a 1.4 50 mm that are hard to focus in a SLR, example even my canon F.

My claim is that the M2 or M8 RF with its large base can focus critical subjects and lenses (even e.g. Nocti). Any alleged shift not withstanding of course.

My bias is based on my experience that with the RF I can focus - and shift the compo somewhat at will (introducing some chance of shift; the turning introduces a movement in a circle, not a flat plane, I know). In my film time I did exactly what you write: stop down the lens, just not to waste a frame. Now I get feedback I see I could have made many more nice shots in the past.

Take for example this picture, inside, 1/128 sec., a 50mm F2 shot. Still a bit shaky though I suspect. I focussed on the rim of the glass.

alberti

• 2 months later...
My second day with the M8, my first post, and my first picture with it:

2632909752_11f5e0b408_b.jpg

My XXX reason for loving this camera: The learning curve with an RF may be steep, but the thrill of taking pictures is back.

Eman

the main advantage of the M8 ...could not agree more

wonderful photograph

To see an image, to capture it.. no big camera.. no sticky out lens... no cropping.. no photoshop... just photography.. and my way of seeing.

Probably I got the exposure wrong. As to the focus, I'm top 1% myopia. It's my fault that I can't be doing with all the buttons and thumbs. But I ain't shooting for an exhibition. And I'm happy.

No. 101.34

Wow!! I really like this photo a lot. I like all the photos in this thread, but this one strikes me. What is she thinking about...

Bigfeet