What is the reasoning behind the 80% led on the charger?

Migs

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Friends:

What is the reasoning behind the 80% led on the charger?

If the battery is full then why mislead with 80% led lit?

Plus sometimes I charge a battery and both leds blink crazy for a while? Is there something wrong with my battery?

Thanks amigos

Migs

Yeah, I got to agree that the logic is misleading. The 80% light should turn of when the battery is full. If there were more lights, like for example 50%, 80% and full, they would better form a "bar graph" and could stay on without causing head scratching.

But OTOH, Leica does have bigger issues to deal with.

Yeah, I got to agree that the logic is misleading. The 80% light should turn of when the battery is full. If there were more lights, like for example 50%, 80% and full, they would better form a "bar graph" and could stay on without causing head scratching.

Like the lack of a "Calibrate" or "Refresh" button/mode on their chargers… Just to add another to the list :p

Edited by NikonJeff

Well the 80% light gives you a sense of progress don't it, that said the battery is probably also very usable at that point. So if you are in a hurry, or charging in you car and cannot keep it running any longer - voilà! Some of my chargers blink at different rates to show charge, my 1DX charger has LEDs marking progress (with a LED for 80% I might add).

I bought two new batteries recently, thinking that my two current spares are getting old, and the batteries in the MM and the M9, whilst younger, still date to the time of the cameras' introductions. I ordered them online from a large photo dealer in Toronto who shall be nameless. The familiar silver boxes arrived, labelled "M8 Battery". So much for their turnover of Leica stock. If they won't take a charge they will be going back.

Chris

I bought two new batteries recently, thinking that my two current spares are getting old, and the batteries in the MM and the M9, whilst younger, still date to the time of the cameras' introductions. I ordered them online from a large photo dealer in Toronto who shall be nameless. The familiar silver boxes arrived, labelled "M8 Battery". So much for their turnover of Leica stock. If they won't take a charge they will be going back.

Chris

I reckon that they have just never got round to changing the packaging label. As you're no doubt aware, the part number (14 464) is the same for M8/M8.2/M9/M9-P/M-E and MM.

I bought one last week from my dealer for my MM, box labelled 'Rechargeable Battery M8'. Seems fine, holds charge etc. But I agree, no apparent way to determine age, and they do slowly degrade from the date of manufacture which I guess is your concern.

• 2 weeks later...
Like the lack of a "Calibrate" or "Refresh" button/mode on their chargers… Just to add another to the list :p

U don't need Calibrate or Refresh modes with modern battery's... this was something from the NIHM battery era.

• Like 1

Jip, not exactly true. Nikon retains the calibration function for its Lithium-ion DSLR batteries, such as the D4. Calibration assures that the charger and the camera read the battery state correctly. I've had to use calibration a couple of times on my D2x.

On a Li--Ion battery the main use of a full (well, not totally full, draining it to 0% can kill it and will certainly shorten the lifespan considerably.) discharge is to reset the charge level readout. The longest lifespan can be obtained by never letting the charge level drop under 20%. The batteries have no memory effect like NiCads.

Apologies for piggybacking off of this thread, but my question is related, and rather than start a new thread......

Recently I have charged two batteries - at the time of charge the first one was around 20% charged according to my M-E, and the other one was just under 50% charged. However both of them were showing as 80% charged as soon as I put them in the charger. Is there any reason for this? Faulty battery/charger? Both batteries are fairly new and probably haven't been charged more than ten times each.....

Apologies for piggybacking off of this thread, but my question is related, and rather than start a new thread......

Recently I have charged two batteries - at the time of charge the first one was around 20% charged according to my M-E, and the other one was just under 50% charged. However both of them were showing as 80% charged as soon as I put them in the charger. Is there any reason for this? Faulty battery/charger? Both batteries are fairly new and probably haven't been charged more than ten times each.....

Was the 80% light on solid or flashing?

The battery will never reach 100% full. Whatever the circuits thinking it is full, it could be 99%, 97%, 90%, ..., This also depends on the aging of the battery.

For practical reason, 80% is just that magic number, meaning the battery is "almost full". Albeit it's a very conservative mark. The actual fullness should be somewhat higher than that,

It's a fast charger, like most devices these days (think of iphones, ipad, laptops, smartphones etc etc.) They charge up til 70-80% in a short time... then the last 30-20% takes just as long as the whole first 70-80%...

meaning if ur in a hurry knowing its at 80% is a good thing.

• 9 years later...