Film Recommendations for New Users

abrewer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What would you recommend to someone new to film usage? For example, a photographer switching from digital to a film camera to try it out firsthand....

I'd have to say Fuji Reala has proven almost indestructible in my hands as a choice for color.

And Ilford XP2 gets the nod for a first-timer's B&W choice.

Anyone else have opinions?

Thanks.

Allan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Am I the only one who hates REALA? It scans horribly on my Nikon V, and the prints look somewhat dull.

I like using Tri-X, HP5 and Xp2 for BW

For color I like Kodak UC100, 400 and Portra 160 is amazing IMO

But everyone will have different tastes.

I have yet to try slide film but have some Velvia, Ultra Chrome and Ektachrome to try out.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well I am fairly new:-

Fuji Superia for colour prints gives a greenish feel.

Kodak Gold for colour prints - I think I like it so far...

XP2 tends to be less contrasty than other B&W.

HP5 - so far I have liked but have not tried it at 800ASA which I was advised by someone.

I want to try FP4 and Neopan ...

I would say this - try them all and see what you like! Do you want colour or B&W? If so, what colours are important to you? Film or slide?

What would you recommend to someone new to film usage? For example, a photographer switching from digital to a film camera to try it out firsthand....

I'd have to say Fuji Reala has proven almost indestructible in my hands as a choice for color.

And Ilford XP2 gets the nod for a first-timer's B&W choice.

Anyone else have opinions?

Thanks.

Allan

If I were reared in the digital world and wanted to try out film and meet with negatives as my first try, I would abandon it altogether. The grains from negs would have put me off totally. I think slides would be more in line with my expectations.

I'm relatively new to the various films, but one thing that struck me was that color

reversal film was more convenient and cost-effective than regular negative films.

I tend to take a fair amount of photos per roll, but hate to admit that maybe 6 - 10 are what

I would call real "keepers". Once I choose the ones I like, those can be scanned at a later

time. Plus there's a nifty date-stamp on the sleeve, so I also find this more convenient

for archival reasons.

With slide processing it costs 10 bucks per roll, versus a per-print charge with standard

films, which given my patterns turns into a lot of unnecessary cost.

I don't know but... w/out knowing the person's need and his style it would not very helpful to throw in just brand names and such. We even don't know if he's going to do slide shows in public, color or IR. Does he need large prints? Is he going to give the darkroom a try? Is there a need to develop monochrome filme on the move? Is he traveling a lot?

For me this looks like a successful idea to fill the new section w/ life.... ;-)

Over the years, I've shot Kodachrome, Kodachrome II, Kodachrome 25 and Kodachrome 64. Well - no more Kodachrome. Hello, Fuji.

IMO. Fuji Astia is the most color neutral slide film now available. If you want "snap," then try Velvia for saturated colors.

Print color film? Fuji Superia if you don't plan to scan.

Since I can't have a darkroom, B&W film and an enlarger are not in the equation.

George (The Old Fud)

• 8 months later...

Re: B&W: I've always loved plain old TX @ 400. You can swing from bright scenes to dark ones with no fuss, whereas slower or faster ISOs keep you somewhat cornered.

Need more speed? TX to me is a better push @800 than any other film––just modify development from D76 to D76 formula “C” (potasium bromide and iodide added to hold shadow detail).

Controlled tripod work? FP4+ @100 is stellar.

Lots of other film/developer choices are fine too ... just that there are fewer and fewer year by year!

Black and white - for a beginner I would recommend something forgiving based on 60s (last century) film technology (not meant in a disparaging way, I've been told this was the time when film became really good to nowadays standards). Maybe more speed to give some reserves (400). Meaning FP4, HP5, Agfapan, Tri-X pan....

T-max and Deltas should be developed with care - probably not a good solution for the first go.

Well, thinking back the tricky thing was to get the film in absolute darkness in the helix. It probably doesn't matter which material gets creased ;) I did have some fights at the start especially with 120 film....