• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M2 | Elmar 50mm | Ilford HP5+ 400

• Like 4

My M2, button rewind from 1958 with Summicron 50 from 1957 iirc. :)

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Early birthday present. I bought this M2 rewind a couple of months ago, had it fully CLA refurbished. Foto Mechanic Reinhart Hannover did a good job. Found a collapsible Cron and now looks and works beautifully. Here it is in all its birthday glory. :-)). Tony.

• Like 3

1966 M2. Not an original black paint. It was transformed by Kanto Camera, from a tired and neglected chrome M2 into, for me, a thing of beauty. After the M5, my next favourite M.

Cheers,

Colin

Edited by colint544
  • Like 8

Very nice Colin, congratulations!

I've just acquired an M2, my first. A 1965 chrome one that only has light wear.

I put a roll through it today and everything appears well exposed, and the frames are nicely spaced (better than my MP) but...

I'm sure the frame counter made it round to 39 before it wouldn't advance further. I rewound the film thinking I'd finished the roll but see now it stopped at frame #33.

The shutter now won't fire, i can press it all the way in but nothing happens and I can't advance. I've tried the obvious things like removing bottom plate, self timer, removing and reinsert spool. No dice. The shutter curtains are closed. Any other options before I send it off?

I assume it jammed at frame 33 and I hadn't realised. I can't see any missing shots on the roll but it's still drying so haven't looked too closely.

I also wanted to get advice re: The rangefinder patch. It is nice and clear, with the blue tint, but the translucent patch itself does have numerous blue dots on it, like speckles in laundry powder or something. Are they something that could be cleaned, or just something that happens over 50 years?

The camera was sourced through a dealer so shouldn't be a problem to send back, just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

• Like 1

Very nice Colin, congratulations!

I've just acquired an M2, my first. A 1965 chrome one that only has light wear.

I put a roll through it today and everything appears well exposed, and the frames are nicely spaced (better than my MP) but...

I'm sure the frame counter made it round to 39 before it wouldn't advance further. I rewound the film thinking I'd finished the roll but see now it stopped at frame #33.

The shutter now won't fire, i can press it all the way in but nothing happens and I can't advance. I've tried the obvious things like removing bottom plate, self timer, removing and reinsert spool. No dice. The shutter curtains are closed. Any other options before I send it off?

I assume it jammed at frame 33 and I hadn't realised. I can't see any missing shots on the roll but it's still drying so haven't looked too closely.

I also wanted to get advice re: The rangefinder patch. It is nice and clear, with the blue tint, but the translucent patch itself does have numerous blue dots on it, like speckles in laundry powder or something. Are they something that could be cleaned, or just something that happens over 50 years?

The camera was sourced through a dealer so shouldn't be a problem to send back, just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

Hi, and thanks. I'm no Leica expert, but it does sound as though there is a fault in either your shutter, or film advance mechanism. The shot counter has no point where it stops, it just moves round by a small increment every time the film advance lever is stroked forward. And you should be able to move it by hand in order to reset it. But fortunately you've bought the camera from a dealer, so you can send it back.

As for the rangefinder patch, there will be forum members much more knowledgeable than I, who might know something about the blue dots you can see. I got my M2 from Red Dot Cameras a few years ago. It looked mint, but the controls were quite stiff, and the viewfinder was a little dim. Often the way with mint cameras, I think - they're mint because they've scarcely been used. Kanto Camera did a full CLA, replaced a shutter roller, and sorted the viewfinder out. It came back beautifully bright - turned out that it was condensation that was making it appear dim. And the controls are now nice and smooth.

When I look through the viewfinder on my M5, there are marks which look a little like water droplets on the frame lines. But they've been there for years, they've never changed shape, or got worse. I don't know what they are. They don't cause any trouble, so I just use the camera and hope for the best. I suppose that when you use a machine that's forty or fifty years old, you have to expect some foibles.

But anyway, that's a shame about your M2, but if there's a fault, at least you can return it, hopefully with no problem, and perhaps get a different M2. It's a lovely camera, the M2 - the viewfinder is one of the nicest things about it.

Cheers,

Colin

Thanks guys. I did try all the shutter speeds without success. I'll just send it back for repair on Monday.

It came from a collection, so probably hasn't been used regularly/recently, I hope I can put that straight.

I'll ask about the patch when I send it back. I'll also save my M2 picture for when it has returned!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The prognosis is good... a light seal came loose and caused everything to jam. I'm getting all the light seals redone and the rangefinder cleaned.

Should be back shortly.

One from that test roll in the meantime...

• Like 7

It returned. The shutter feels good at all speeds. I haven't had an opportunity to put a roll through it yet.

The viewfinder is lovely and clean too, no more blue spots.

But... the self timer isn't working anymore 

Something I'd rarely if ever use but I'd still like it to work.  :(

• 1 month later...

Loaded with Tmax 400. I'm running it through at 200 and will develop in Perceptol.

M-P 240, 50mm Summilux Asph.

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

M2, 21mm Super Angulon

• Like 4

Thanks Michael.

It was done by a former Leica technician who runs a repair store in Petrie (who's always done great work for me)

I can provide contact details if you would like them.

Same M2, same roll

• Like 3

He sourced this M2 for me and sorted out my wobbly 28mm Summicron too.

M2, 50mm Summicron Rigid

• Like 3