Another bag question…!

Kiwimac

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m looking at my pile of camera bags and not quite seeing what I need. 

I am flying and cruising for six weeks and I want to find a bag that will transport M11, 21 VM Nokton, 35 Apo Summicron, 75 Apo Summicron, Visoflex2, battery etc

AND 

noise cancelling over ear headphones, Kindle Scribe, medicine, hand gel, passports, tickets, guide/notebook etc etc. 

AND

be allowable as carry on for the single Easy Jet flight which is the only one on the trip with strict restrictions of 45cm x 36cm x 20 cm. 

Closest I have is a Billingham Hadley One but it’s a bit tight to fit that lot and lacks a zip. I could add end pockets for more space but by the time I ship them here they’ll be about 40% of the cost of a new bag anyway. 

I don’t really need to work out of the bag and some places I’ll go, anything that looks too fancy might draw unwanted attention. 

Filson did a bag in conjunction with Magnum a few years ago that would have probably been ideal but that isn’t available any more sadly. 

Does anyone have a suggestion? I wondered about the Billingham Eventer which is fractionally bigger than a Hadley One and has a zip but I’m not convinced it’s different enough to justify the not insignificant cost. 

32 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Lack of zip is a plus IMO.

Jeff

For working out of, yes. For transport, I’m of two minds. 

The Eventer has the Tuk Top, which my 445 has, that gets the zip out of the way when you’re working. It’s fairly effective. 

I’d take the 445 but it fails the Easy Jet rule by some margin. 

Yes but it needs to be a shoulder bag. 

I broke my back 18 months ago and I don’t find backpacks comfortable to carry at the moment. 

Hopefully that will change in the future, or else I’ll have a couple to sell!!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As much as I prefer over ear headphones for plane travel, I was recently forced to upgrade to in-ears mid-trip (over ears broke). I strongly suspect if you dump your over hear headphones, the gear you mentioned will easily fit in a Hadley One. One body with three lenses and accessories doesn’t take up all that much room - but will necessarily require stacking in the One. I use neoprene pouches made by Hakuba (Amazon) for stacking lenses.

In your shoes, I would also pick up a Wotancraft 3.5L or 7L for daily use on-the-move (purchased directly from Wotancraft, online).

Have a great trip!

• Like 1

How about a very simple bag that meets the aircraft’s size requirements?  Put the Hadley inside it and put other items on top / to the side.  Depends on whether you need the perfect bag for the full trip to always have all of those items together or if it’s just during the flight that you need it to be that way.  I sometimes use a simple Muji collapsible bag for this purpose.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Mute-on said:

As much as I prefer over ear headphones for plane travel, I was recently forced to upgrade to in-ears mid-trip (over ears broke). I strongly suspect if you dump your over hear headphones, the gear you mentioned will easily fit in a Hadley One. One body with three lenses and accessories doesn’t take up all that much room - but will necessarily require stacking in the One. I use neoprene pouches made by Hakuba (Amazon) for stacking lenses.

In your shoes, I would also pick up a Wotancraft 3.5L or 7L for daily use on-the-move (purchased directly from Wotancraft, online).

Have a great trip!

Unfortunately I can’t stand in ear headphones. I’ve never yet found a pair that are even vaguely comfortable. I’ve got a pair of Sennheiser top of the range ones. All I can hear is my own heartbeat which is distracting. They’ve had about 2 hours of use for the almost $2000 they cost. 

I wish it wasn’t so because you’re right - they’d be a lot easier to carry!

Edited by Kiwimac

Posted (edited)

@Kiwimac This is what I fly with. Will fit a 13" MacBook Pro, an M body and a few lenses (last weekend's trip I actually put my Wotancraft 2L inside the bag with the camera and lenses inside that) and a hardcover book, or a pair of over ear headphones and smaller paperback, plus chargers, meds etc. Really haven't found anything as comfortable and voluminous  and easy to slide under the seat and still allow for foot room. Also looks pretty good. 

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/photocross-13

EDIT: Ah, but it does sling to the back, so might not work for you. Just saw that. It does hang pretty well over one shoulder though if just needing to get through the airport. 

Edited by charlesphoto99

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Kiwimac said:

Yes but it needs to be a shoulder bag. 

I broke my back 18 months ago and I don’t find backpacks comfortable to carry at the moment. 

Hopefully that will change in the future, or else I’ll have a couple to sell!!

That’s why I also mentioned TT options, including bags with rollers, designed specifically for travel.  Shoulder bags can be very bad for backs.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

5 hours ago, Jeff S said:

That’s why I also mentioned TT options, including bags with rollers, designed specifically for travel.  Shoulder bags can be very bad for backs.

Jeff

I do have a TT Airport Navigator. Great bag. Too big to pass the Easy Jet rules though. 

I don’t normally use budget airlines because the hassles like this are irritating but the flight is part of the cruise cost because it’s a bridging step between two different ships. 

The other flights (Auckland to NYC direct, Rome to Singapore and Singapore to Christchurch are in Business and Premium Economy so no bag hassles then)

I got my hands on a Billingham Eventer II as a comparison to the Hadley One. 

It’s about 20% larger and very nice. The full leather base makes it very luxurious. 

I think it’s a better travel bag for cameras and ‘stuff’ because you can zip it shut which helps when putting bags in overhead racks and bins etc. 

It’s a little slower to work out of and the shoulder strap needs to be a bit longer for me to wear it cross body at the ideal height. 

One thing I noticed. I don’t know if it’s deliberate but I wondered about using the half width Hadley One insert in the Eventer. 

Billingham have fitted the press studs reverse in each bag. The Hadley inserts have the female half fitted to them and so does the Eventer II bag, so you cannot pop them together! The half insert works fine apart from that. 

As a pure camera bag the Hadley series is probably better. As a multi purpose bag, the Eventer is. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 8:55 PM, RobW0 said:

How about this one?

https://www.wotancraft.tw/id/product/pilot-travel-camera-backpack-v2-khakibrownC

I have a couple of their smaller bags and are well made. 

I had this 18L backpack and sold it, and I love Wotancraft gear and have their 7L, 3.5L and 2L bags, in addition to their pouches and straps (I have two orders coming this week from them), but this 18L just didn't work for me.  I do have the Wandrd 11L backpack and I think it's one of the best small & light weight backpacks out there now; I traveled all around Asia for over two months with this backpack and it was great.  I was able to get more comfortably in the Wandrd 11L then I was in the 18L Wotancraft.  

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 6:33 PM, Kiwimac said:

I’m looking at my pile of camera bags and not quite seeing what I need. 

I am flying and cruising for six weeks and I want to find a bag that will transport M11, 21 VM Nokton, 35 Apo Summicron, 75 Apo Summicron, Visoflex2, battery etc

AND 

noise cancelling over ear headphones, Kindle Scribe, medicine, hand gel, passports, tickets, guide/notebook etc etc. 

AND

be allowable as carry on for the single Easy Jet flight which is the only one on the trip with strict restrictions of 45cm x 36cm x 20 cm. 

Closest I have is a Billingham Hadley One but it’s a bit tight to fit that lot and lacks a zip. I could add end pockets for more space but by the time I ship them here they’ll be about 40% of the cost of a new bag anyway. 

I don’t really need to work out of the bag and some places I’ll go, anything that looks too fancy might draw unwanted attention. 

Filson did a bag in conjunction with Magnum a few years ago that would have probably been ideal but that isn’t available any more sadly. 

Does anyone have a suggestion? I wondered about the Billingham Eventer which is fractionally bigger than a Hadley One and has a zip but I’m not convinced it’s different enough to justify the not insignificant cost. 

Just a suggestions from someone who travels and walks a lot.  My wife and I have done over 20 countries in just the past 18 months, and are over 70 countries to date.

I carry a smaller sling/shoulder bag which I put inside my carry-on backpack.  The 3.5L sling/shoulder bag (Wotancraft 3.5L or 7L) will hold my m11P, Leica Elmarit-M 28mm, Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.5, my X100V, plus cellphone, batteries and a few other small items like passport and cash (the 7L will hold even more).  The backpack will hold that bag plus everything else like my iPad, Sony headphones, and just about any other tech needs I may have.  This way when we get to a country I take out the 3.5 or 7L bag and hit the streets with it but leave the other items in the room safe so I'm not walking all around with 20lbs of gear on my back, much of it that I won't use. 

This comes from years of experience and hiking around many different countries, some of which were very remote.   Just my $.02

Also, I love Wotancraft bags, they're really well made and thought out and don't look like camera bags, I think they were fashioned after old military bags. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by AllenB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AllenB said:

Just a suggestions from someone who travels and walks a lot.  My wife and I have done over 20 countries in just the past 18 months, and are over 70 countries to date.

I carry a smaller sling/shoulder bag which I put inside my carry-on backpack.  The 3.5L sling/shoulder bag (Wotancraft 3.5L or 7L) will hold my m11P, Leica Elmarit-M 28mm, Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.5, my X100V, plus cellphone, batteries and a few other small items like passport and cash (the 7L will hold even more).  The backpack will hold that bag plus everything else like my iPad, Sony headphones, and just about any other tech needs I may have.  This way when we get to a country I take out the 3.5 or 7L bag and hit the streets with it but leave the other items in the room safe so I'm not walking all around with 20lbs of gear on my back, much of it that I won't use. 

This comes from years of experience and hiking around many different countries, some of which were very remote.   Just my $.02

Also, I love Wotancraft bags, they're really well made and thought out and don't look like camera bags, I think they were fashioned after old military bags. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I also really like the Wotancraft Pilot bag series. They have two advantages over modern Billinghams: discreetness and WEIGHT. For example, the Billingham Hadley Small Pro is very beautiful and has convenient pockets, but weighs more than 1 kg. The Billingham Hadley series uses inserts, which are also too thick, which eat up a lot of useful space. I preferred the protection of the Billingham fstop system (discontinued), which had no inserts, the protection was thinner and the bags weighed much less.

• Like 1