best clear filter?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

in the past when buying ND filters I used to reflexively turn to B+W or Tiffen. 

Now I want to get a clear filter to protect my Leica lenses, so is Leica brand filter the best or do you prefer other brands?

3 hours ago, brickftl said:

in the past when buying ND filters I used to reflexively turn to B+W or Tiffen. 

Now I want to get a clear filter to protect my Leica lenses, so is Leica brand filter the best or do you prefer other brands?

Breakthrough

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica don't make their own filters, so I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for them.

I personally prefer B+W MRC Nano because they are second to none and I love the solid quality of the brass rims.

Heliopan and the top lines from Hoya, Kenko and Marumi are also excellent (some of which was and may still be supplying the Leica branded filters).

• Like 2

I see filters as consumables. They sit on the lens, they get dirty and scratched especially because I wipe them with whatever is available. So I use filters which don't seem to have any impact on the image (but refer to the last sentence) and replace them as needed. New Leica filters are too costly to view in this way so if I see any used I tend to buy them.

1 hour ago, pgk said:

I see filters as consumables. They sit on the lens, they get dirty and scratched especially because I wipe them with whatever is available. So I use filters which don't seem to have any impact on the image (but refer to the last sentence) and replace them as needed. New Leica filters are too costly to view in this way so if I see any used I tend to buy them.

that's what I was thinking. New B+W filter at B&H is about $65 so I'll go for it.

Thanks for all responses above.

1 hour ago, brickftl said:

wow it is cheaper!

They have this nano-x series, almost same quality as b+w nano pro MRC, but with 1/3 of the price.

They also have nano-x pro, which is practically same as nano-x (without pro), but supposedly slimmer brass frame, almost same price as b+w.

Just go with nano-x, no need to spend a fortunate on b+w.

The b+w superior quality is just a myth. At the price level of US$ 30-40, almost all the uv, haze, protection filters are same anyway. 

15 hours ago, pgk said:

I agree, if a filter needs cleaning sods law says it's typically at a time when I'm itching to make a photograph, so I use the nearest thing if my lens cloth is deep in my camera bag. But the MRC filters aren't popular just because they are good optically, they are very tough and clean very, very easily, even on a tee-shirt. As has been said Leica filters are made by somebody else and it's only Leica prices that differentiate them. But none of the big brands make bad clear filters, and if it's raining or sand is blowing around the worst of them would be good enough for me.

• Like 1