Simple and Clear Keywording

schimmey

Paul, it all depends on the requirement. A private individual sets his own criteria, sufficient to meet his modest needs. If supplying stock to a library, you have to meet a photo-library's requirements, which almost certainly will be greater than a lone photographer might need. Successful sales depend on accurate and relevant keywords.

If you return from a holiday, all material should carry place names and countries, which aid future searches. It is easier done when downloading new material into your chosen catalogue. Then, selectively,  add other special keywords as appropriate.  It will save you much time in the future.

Sequential folder number, place, and date, as the name for the folder the photos go in made in that place on that date. Each photograph number is pre-fixed with the custom folder number as it is downloaded. I don't bother with keywords for individual photos in that folder because if I can't guess what lens was used and can't fathom what would be in a folder called 'Christmas Day 25-01-23' then I'll be too far gone to care. All my folders full of photos are organised using Adobe Bridge. You'll be correct if you think this system sounds a bit like how photographers catalogued their work in the days of film, with one film to a negative sheet with a number, the title, and date written on it, I simply carried on my original filing system when I moved to storing digital photos and scans onto hard disks. The only additional notation would be the film used and the developer details.  But as I haven't yet thought of a good reason I'd want to find every photograph made with a 35mm Summicron, or whatever, keywords aren't a factor. Besides which the entire system falls apart unless you are ruthless in administering it or you change it slightly. 

So other than anything you consider essential, date, place, etc. don't limit yourself too much, as many or as few words as you need are better than a strict system with not enough space. This allows you to describe things with a keyword other than just gear, like 'warm', 'cold', 'happy', 'landscape', 'city' etc. and perhaps these are more important. But I contribute to photo agencies and libraries from time to time and a seemingly simple photo can end up with thirty keywords and it's hard work and an art in itself. Fortunately all this keyword information is done when uploading the photo to the agency so it compartmentalises keywording as a job of work and doesn't become a burden when simply downloading a card onto the PC.

Thanks wda and 250swb... I think for me the answer is to try not to get too tied down worrying about it - just a few consistent pointers. As you say... 'besides which the entire system falls apart unless you are ruthless in administering it or you change it slightly' ... and I would rather spend my time taking photographs 🙂

Cheers.

Paul

• Like 2