Leica SL3 problems

Linas

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My first SL2S Reporter was such a terrific experience that I got a second one. Then I got a regular SL2S making it three. Never one issue with any including using in pounding rain storms as well in windy, desert environments.

The FW upgrades have been super with eye detection and with the addition of multi-shot for a 96MP DNG's.

Forgot to mention my SL3 is just as anticipated-terrific.

Edited by algrove
  • Like 2

SL 601, SL2 and SL2-S Reporter, used very intensively, never any problems

all very good - but in a special way the Reporter SL is more than a camera, it's culture (POV)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

SL-2S for about a year of regular use and no issues.  SL2 for 4 1/2 years with heavy use and today had the very first problem with the camera.  It simply will not power on, at all. Completely dead.  I shared this on another post on this forum.

SL2 and SL2-S (since 2021) in use and often under strong conditions, humid, tropical weather, etc.  Till today without any problems. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/14/2024 at 6:47 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

FWIW, I have had a problem-free SL2S since launch.

As a lesson.........I put the SD cards back in my SL2-S yesterday and switched it on. It was completely inactive except for the top display, which showed an 'Error' message. Removing battery and lens and refitting made no difference. Then I remembered I'd had two shoots yesterday, the first a video session for which my Video user profile treats the SD cards as a single unit of storage (SD1+SD2) and the second a stills session for which my 'Default' user profile uses the second SD card as back up (SD1=SD2). Both video and stills files had downloaded correctly. However, I pulled the SD cards, reformatted them in my PC. Result: camera starts up just fine.

Lesson: not all problems with cameras are caused by the camera (unless you expect them to protect against any use scenario, however unusual). 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

As a lesson.........I put the SD cards back in my SL2-S yesterday and switched it on. It was completely inactive except for the top display, which showed an 'Error' message. Removing battery and lens and refitting made no difference. Then I remembered I'd had two shoots yesterday, the first a video session for which my Video user profile treats the SD cards as a single unit of storage (SD1+SD2) and the second a stills session for which my 'Default' user profile uses the second SD card as back up (SD1=SD2). Both video and stills files had downloaded correctly. However, I pulled the SD cards, reformatted them in my PC. Result: camera starts up just fine.

Lesson: not all problems with cameras are caused by the camera (unless you expect them to protect against any use scenario, however unusual). 

FWIW: When formatting in PC use the free SD Formatter.

Posted (edited)

I had a strange one happen to me yesterday.  Mind you, I've shot the SL2-S for a few years and never had anything like this happen.  

I pretty much always shoot in Aperture priority mode with a minimum shutter speed of 1/250 and ISO set to Auto with a limit of 6400.  I use the rear dial for exposure compensation, front dial for aperture and new dial for ISO.  Yesterday I was shooting in the early part of the day at a car event and everything was going smoothly.  Shutter is pretty much always set in hybrid but I was outdoors in good light so I knew I would be in mechanical shutter territory.

I was using the 75 APO SL and was locked in at f/2.  At some point the camera somehow was inadvertently switched to Shutter priority mode.  Worse, the shutter speed was 1/16,000.  I shot about 50 images, including portraits before I realized what was going on.  Probably my fault for not checking my settings as I was shooting, but once I'm dialed in I pretty much only use my histogram to make minor exposure compensation adjustments - but it looked good so I wasn't paying attention.  So I have a bunch of images shot a 1/16,000 at ISOs that were up to 6400 for portraits that I could have easily shot at IS 100.  

My bad for not paying attention, but I'm curious how the mode got changed without me realizing it.  

Edited by Dr. G

5 minutes ago, Dr. G said:

I had a strange one happen to me yesterday.  Mind you, I've shot the SL2-S for a few years and never had anything like this happen.  

I pretty much always shoot in Aperture priority mode with a minimum shutter speed of 1/250 and ISO set to Auto with a limit of 6400.  I use the rear dial for exposure compensation, front dial for aperture and new dial for ISO.  Yesterday I was shooting in the early part of the day at a car event and everything was going smoothly.  Shutter is pretty much always set in hybrid but I was outdoors in good light so I knew I would be in mechanical shutter territory.

I was using the 75 APO SL and was locked in at f/2.  At some point the camera somehow was inadvertently switched to Shutter priority mode.  Worse, the shutter speed was 1/16,000.  I shot about 50 images, including portraits before I realized what was going on.  Probably my fault for not checking my settings as I was shooting, but once I'm dialed in I pretty much only use my histogram to make minor exposure compensation adjustments - but it looked good so I wasn't paying attention.  So I have a bunch of images shot a 1/16,000 at ISOs that were up to 6400 for portraits that I could have easily shot at IS 100.  

My bad for not paying attention, but I'm curious how the mode got changed without me realizing it.  

It often happens to me when working fast (SL2-S) but is easily explained - in my excitement I press the rear wheel at the same time as turning it, and accidentally find myself in S - usually; occasionally P or M.

I would be happy to see the back of the press function on the rear wheel.

• Like 3

Am 15.3.2024 um 21:11 schrieb MediaFotografie:

all very good - but in a special way the Reporter SL is more than a camera, it's culture (POV)

... than you got very poor samples like me with my 601 - a Leica working error-free is not a Digital-Leica :)

• Haha 1

On 3/14/2024 at 5:02 PM, Linas said:

I am professional event photographer with many years experience shooting different Nikon cameras from older DSRLs to the latest mirrorless. I don't remember my cameras ever going to warranty.

Last few years I wanted to explore something different and tried Leica SL2-S for the first time. The first camera I've received had huge ibis rattle inside and was replaced by the dealer. Then in a few months of light use the other SL2-S showed unacceptable wear of the body fabric which was replaced under warranty (I saw this also discussed in the forum). Then Profoto released the remote for Leica and another problem appeared where camera freezes in continuous burst mode when in use with the flash trigger. Camera went to warranty for the second time but returned without even identifying the issue. Then I sent the camera to warranty for the third time, now together with my own Profoto remote and Leica were able to finally identify the issue after one year of back and forth with the customer service. This affected all the Leica SL2-S and I think now is fixed with the new firmware update. Though the camera can still randomly freeze with no reason.

After the dreadful experience with the first Leica I was reluctant to order the SL3, but seeing many wanted improvements and having many amazing SL lenses I gave it a go. Received the camera today, but unfortunately the LCD screen has terrible yellow tint (EVF screen looks amazing), the memory card door gets stuck most of the times when opening and the thumb dial sounds and feels very cheap. The other dials are fine and all are fine on SL2-S. The customer service advised that camera has to be sent back to dealer for an exchange due to the LCD tint issue. But with current out of stock situation I have no idea when this will happen.

Am I just really unlucky with Leica or their quality control is so bad? What is your experience?

Leicas are not for professional work, you can use it for it, but they're not designed for pro work. If you want to use leica glass, get yourself 2x panasonic S5ii. You'll have a backup camera all the time and you can even have 2 lenses mounted all the time. 2x lower grade cameras is always better than 1x pro for professional work

• Like 2

On 3/16/2024 at 4:11 AM, MediaFotografie said:

Absolutely 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jack Lovel said:

I'm having issues tethering the SL3 with Capture One. I have updated to the latest version (16.3.7.10) but the connection seems to fail most of the time unless you restart the program/camera. Can anyone help with this??

take out the cards from the camera and use the PTP connection.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

It often happens to me when working fast (SL2-S) but is easily explained - in my excitement I press the rear wheel at the same time as turning it, and accidentally find myself in S - usually; occasionally P or M.

I would be happy to see the back of the press function on the rear wheel.

Same for me too. That is so easy to do if not careful and shooting one handed.

It seems to me many, many "problems" are user induced, not camera induced. We should have a thread "Problems with me while using SL3"

Edited by algrove
  • Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 2:58 AM, pf4eva said:

Leicas are not for professional work, you can use it for it, but they're not designed for pro work. If you want to use leica glass, get yourself 2x panasonic S5ii. You'll have a backup camera all the time and you can even have 2 lenses mounted all the time. 2x lower grade cameras is always better than 1x pro for professional work

I do have 2x Panasonic S5iix 😄

• Like 1