The Leica SL3 - A Review by Jonathan Slack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Over the last few days, I tested IBIS on and off on Tripot.

Used the 75 APO and the 90-280 at different focal lengths.

All images did not show any difference between IBIS turned on or off. zooming in 200% and 400%.

I think the camera does detect when it is mounted on a tripod, and pick the best option.

I was not able to try Multishot.

vor 39 Minuten schrieb Photoworks:

All images did not show any difference between IBIS turned on or off. zooming in 200% and 400%.

I think the camera does detect when it is mounted on a tripod, and pick the best option.

same here, I can't tell any differences IBIS on/off on tripod when using SL2 or SL3 

2 hours ago, Photoworks said:

I do not think that your tests are conclusive.

The negative effect of IBIS on tripod is noticeable

a) when framing and the sensor starts recentering itself

b) with very long exposure, when sensor starts readjusting itself.

At ‘regular’ shutter speeds, you may not notice any deterministic IBIS issues, though they may be there.

35 minutes ago, SrMi said:

I do not think that your tests are conclusive.

The negative effect of IBIS on tripod is noticeable

At ‘regular’ shutter speeds, you may not notice any deterministic IBIS issues, though they may be there.

bring the evidence and i will consider it.

36 minutes ago, SrMi said:

well, you frame it on a tripod and what is the recentering?
I did the test with with IS lens and non-IS lens same frame with IBIS on and off.

38 minutes ago, SrMi said:

My test was 1/60, 1/20/ 1s and 8s

this is what I typically have on a tripod.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

well, you frame it on a tripod and what is the recentering?
I did the test with with IS lens and non-IS lens same frame with IBIS on and off.

I have not tested with SL3, but with other cameras, when using geared tripod heads, once you have completed your adjustments, the framing continues to move as the sensor recenter.

The long exposure issue has been documented with other cameras.

Hoare’s famous saying: testing can only prove the presence of bugs, not their absence.

The fact that your testing did not discover any issues, does not mean that there are none, especially as IBIS behavior is non-deterministic.

I believe it is still a good recommendation to turn IBIS off when on tripod.

Edited by SrMi
  • Like 1

My experience with the SL601 and 90-280 was not that images were adversely affected with IBIS on and the camera on a tripod, but just that I could watch the viewed scene (at 280mm in my case) drift in live view, as if the sensor was not properly secured. It made it impossible to frame a specific area in a scene. 

Is this behaviour visible in the SL3? (I suppose I could test it on my SL2-S and 90-280, but I'm sitting comfortably with a drink at the moment.

• Like 3

On 3/26/2024 at 2:21 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

My experience with the SL601 and 90-280 was not that images were adversely affected with IBIS on and the camera on a tripod, but just that I could watch the viewed scene (at 280mm in my case) drift in live view, as if the sensor was not properly secured.

Didnt own the 601, but I thought it was IBIS-less. OIS issue perhaps?

Posted (edited)
On 3/26/2024 at 2:21 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

My experience with the SL601 and 90-280 was not that images were adversely affected with IBIS on and the camera on a tripod, but just that I could watch the viewed scene (at 280mm in my case) drift in live view, as if the sensor was not properly secured. It made it impossible to frame a specific area in a scene. 

Is this behaviour visible in the SL3? (I suppose I could test it on my SL2-S and 90-280, but I'm sitting comfortably with a drink at the moment.

Don't have a drink in hand (although the sun crossed the yardarm some time ago), but I do have an SL3.  I'll report back.

OK, here's a bookshelf at 7 feet, exposure a little over a second, cropped a bit, rendered in COne

click through to Flickr to see it in full res. Shot with the APO 35 SL, which doesn't have the conflict of an OIS with a mind of its own, but in-camera stabilization was on and the camera was on my desk, held by a Manfrotto table-top tripod.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 2

The connection to the Lightroom Transform Guide setting seems to be transferred to the DNG whether or not the Guide is set to show on the camera or not.  (This is a good thing, although sometime Lightroom's auto setting does an even better job of mangling your image; that's what 60Mpx is for...)

The manual is very good at elaborating on obvious stuff but is rather more reticent on getting GPS to persist, and other tricky cases, where a lot depends on the precise (privacy) settings of your phone, eg.

I like highlight exposure mode, but it seems that Lightroom still needs to be better tuned to the SL3: a temp of 18000/36 seems a little OTT.

On 3/29/2024 at 6:58 AM, scott kirkpatrick said:

Don't have a drink in hand (although the sun crossed the yardarm some time ago), but I do have an SL3.  I'll report back.

OK, here's a bookshelf at 7 feet, exposure a little over a second, cropped a bit, rendered in COne

click through to Flickr to see it in full res. Shot with the APO 35 SL, which doesn't have the conflict of an OIS with a mind of its own, but in-camera stabilization was on and the camera was on my desk, held by a Manfrotto table-top tripod.

Outstanding collection of Photography books Scott!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Ken Abrahams said:

Outstanding collection of Photography books Scott!  

Thanks.  That's about one quarter of the whole, which has trailed after me from NY to California to Jerusalem to Cambridge, MA.  Still not sorted.  Life's too short.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Smogg said:

Does the SL3 have the same dual shutter sound as the M11?

It sounds differently.

All mirrorless cameras have the same mechanical shutter operation like m11: close-open-expose-close-open.

EFCS and electronic shutters work differently, but Leica has not implemented EFCS in any of its cameras.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SrMi said:

It sounds differently.

All mirrorless cameras have the same mechanical shutter operation like m11: close-open-expose-close-open.

EFCS and electronic shutters work differently, but Leica has not implemented EFCS in any of its cameras.

Apparently Leica felt that perfect bokeh was more important and therefore did not implement EFCS

1 hour ago, Smogg said:

Apparently Leica felt that perfect bokeh was more important and therefore did not implement EFCS

Bokeh is only an issue with EFCS if shooting at very high shutter speeds and very wide open. Also, EFCS can be optional

• Like 3