SL2 - FW6.0 and the 90-280 zoom

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just upgraded to FW 6.0 on my SL2.  Camera and lens were working just fine but guess contemplating possible trade in toward SL3 so wished current camera to be up to date.  After successful upgrade the sound of motor on 90-280 is quite noticeable when was barely perceptible with FW5.0.  I had this issue early in the SL2 lifecycle. Although many were told by Leica this was 'normal', after a number of us sent in our lens for check-up , 6 months later a firmware update miraculously fixed the issue they said was normal.  It is discouraging to see old lessons forgotten with FW6.0.  Wondering if any other members have noticed this increased motor sound on their 90-280 zooms after FW6.0 upgrade.

Also, could be my faulty memory, but do not recall user profiles being lens specific.  I have gotten in habit of attaching each of my SL lens at time of FW upgrade.  The user profiles I re-imported after camera upgrade required additional re-import for each lens after upgrade. Word to the wise, do not erase your saved profiles until after you upgrade all your lens. 

I've been doing the same in the last week.

My 90-280 is still silent. Like, completely silent. If I push my ear onto the metal lens body, I can hear a whir and clunk as the IBIS and focus do their thing. But if I am even a single cm away from the lens? Nothing. Certainly not from behind the camera.

I just rechecked because of your post and I'm in a nice quiet environment today.......

Gordon

Posted (edited)

No more noise with the SL2-S and 90-280. 

And no, my profiles have not been lens-specific either. I use a range of Leica SL lenses. I have one profile that is for M lenses, but they are 6-bit coded and the camera recognises them individually. I have another profile (for negative copying) that is specific to the encoded Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R 100 but that hasn’t caused problems. 

Edited by LocalHero1953

Agreed above, I used my 90-280 in Antarctica with SL2 and SL2-S, both with current firmware with very little noise.  I tried some autofocus settings for birds, and I could hear the autofocus keep focusing, but it was very, very quiet.  I updated everything before I left.

@presbyopia, is it possible your 90-280 firmware did not get updated?  I think it is pretty automatic, at least mine was.