Read on Thorsten Overgaard's Site: CL Update in 2024-2025. . .

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"The Leica CL (2017) truly has the proportions of the original film Leica, which means it is smaller than a Leica M and a Leica Q. The fact that it had an APS-C sensor was the reason for its death sentence in 2022. But a new full-frame version is expected in 2024 as a way to use L-mount lenses on a smaller camera body. © Thorsten Overgaard..'

• Like 7

I can only hope this is true. I think the CL is a wonderful camera and if Leica can keep the size and the build quality and stick a full size sensor - and it doesn't have to be a mega pixel size - I will be first in line. Where did Mr. Overgaard post this possible good news? 

Just noticed it was posted on his site... I must learn to read more carefully.

Edited by GFW2-SCUSA

A 60 MP  Full Frame sensor would put it into a different camera group and price range which kind of defeats the original purpose of the camera - an entry into the Leica L system with affordable small lenses.  I might buy a CL2 with a SL2S type (or better) APS-C sensor if the price is right, but never a full-frame 60 MP one. 

I fully agree with Thorsten's analysis, I said so at the introduction of the CL: the only camera that Leica produces that follows Barnack's philosophy fully: small camera and negative, large prints. It even has the shape and feel of a Barnack Leica.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, jaapv said:

A 60 MP  Full Frame sensor would put it into a different camera group and price range which kind of defeats the original purpose of the camera - an entry into the Leica L system with affordable small lenses.  I might buy a CL2 with a SL2S type (or better) APS-C sensor if the price is right, but never a full-frame 60 MP one. 

I fully agree with Thorsten's analysis, I said so at the introduction of the CL: the only camera that Leica produces that follows Barnack's philosophy fully: small camera and negative, large prints. It even has the shape and feel of a Barnack Leica.

I never consider an APS-C as an entry into Leica L mount (or E or Z mount). Instead, I see it, thanks to the APS-C lenses, as a lightweight alternative to full-frame Leicas.

• Like 4

After "upgrading" from M6 through M8, M9, SL to SL2-S and loosing the fun factor, I recently rediscovered this fun when I bought a nice TL2.

I very much hope Leica brings something like a QL to us - reasonably light yet with all the Leica qualities -simplicity, build etc.

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd take a 60mp FF CL...I could use all my TL lenses in crop mode with 30-ish mp's. Would be nice to have a new AF system and in-body IS for them, then you could use those new small Portuguese ASPH Crons as well in 60mp mode and keep the kit small-ish

Edited by thatkatmat
  • Like 3

I never consider an APS-C as an entry into Leica L mount

Ditto. I bought the CL purely as a complement to my big 5D. I left my full frame SLR behind on a holiday to Japan because it was simply too big to backpack, then spent much of the holiday seeing pictures that I couldn't take. The CL was a small camera that I understood, and that didn't feel entry level. That was its appeal.

There's probably little reason to put an APSC sensor behind a lens mount that can take a full-frame sensor, so I can forgive Leica not making a CL2 if they really are about to make a camera that is effectively a full-frame CL. There is still the psychological issue of buying a camera with a big sensor and then feeling that you're under-utilising it if you put a small lens on it. Rather than cropping to APSC format (23.6 x 15.6mm) if you put a TL lens on a full frame camera (42% of the sensor), I have always thought it would be nice if you could capture 24x24mm square crops and utilise more of the big sensor (66%).

The CL did very well with a 24mp APS-c sensor. Given a lot of CL users have CL APS-c lenses I don't think a 24mp sensor would be an attraction, given with the native lenses you would get around a 10mp image, not terrible but not great. Confession I do use an M8. Anyway as sensor site density goes up so does the cost of the sensor. So a 60mp sensor would be very expensive, I think a sensor at high 30mp, low 40mp would work and keep the price reasonable (in Leica terms). But does Leica want to consider current CL users, that is debatable. 

•  

My post on the Cl discontinuation written on July 4th 2022

Hallo,

I bought one of the last available Leica Cl bodies at the Leica store in Wetzlar today. Letting the sales person know that I am not at all pleased to be left alone with 2 Cl bodies and their complete TL lenses line up after the discontinuation of their APSC line the sales person told me that Leica is listening to their customers and that they have started working on a solution. He mentioned a full frame camera with an L- Mount in the size of the Leica Q 2. The downside is that it will most likely take Leica Camera AG 3 to 4 years to complete such a camera as he let me know. The sales person also mentioned that I should not nail him down on his statement. Just wanted to inform the community know about this possible development.

regards

Yogi The Bear

PS The sales person was the head of the Leica Store at Leitz Park in Wetzlar at this time and the former main interviewer on new Leica product placements in German language

• Like 2

Apologies of introducing a much discussed subject in many forums but if I were to use my TL lenses on a full frame version of my Leica CL, because the sensor on it would be cropped and assuming this crop to be to the same size of current CL sensor, then the field of view would remain the same for any given lens. Have I got that right? 

One thought on the last post above is that 3 to 4 years to producing this camera is a very long time in technology. So much could change in that time that could risk rendering that development obsolete, or at least profitable than planned.  This is, of course, always going to be a factor in any product development cycle. Perhaps a flexibility to adapt the design can be factored during the critical design phase(s). One aspect that may shorten technology for Leitz AG is the collaboration with Panasonic under their L squared Technology alliance. Speculation, I know but this may help accurate the development cycle (and may already be happening - I hope so!).

On 1/26/2024 at 5:29 PM, SoCalLeicanator said:

"The Leica CL (2017) truly has the proportions of the original film Leica, which means it is smaller than a Leica M and a Leica Q. The fact that it had an APS-C sensor was the reason for its death sentence in 2022. But a new full-frame version is expected in 2024 as a way to use L-mount lenses on a smaller camera body. © Thorsten Overgaard..'

Can someone tell me where exactly is this quote? I can't seem to find it on the url posted in this comment. Thanks in advance.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 1stLeica said:

Quote is in his Leica SL3 Review...

https://www.overgaard.dk/Leica-SL3-Review-and-user-report-Page-1-mirrorless-fullframe-digital-camera.html

See portion of the review beginning with paragraph titled Will the Leica SL3 be smaller than Leica SL2?

And there it is...thank you! I had been looking all this time at the Leica CL url the op listed in the original comment.

4 hours ago, Devaprem said:

Apologies of introducing a much discussed subject in many forums but if I were to use my TL lenses on a full frame version of my Leica CL, because the sensor on it would be cropped and assuming this crop to be to the same size of current CL sensor, then the field of view would remain the same for any given lens. Have I got that right?

Yes.

8 minutes ago, trickness said:

Everything written in that article is conjecture, and it sounds like whoever wrote it has NOT seen the SL3.

I was not referring to Overgaard’s article.