Overgaard's lenses shade

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a lens shade last Saturday on overgaard's website.
The payment was made with the wrong address and I have sent him an email to inquire about it, but I have not received any response in 5 days, so I'm very anxious.

Has anyone successfully made a purchase on his website?

Do they usually contact you before or after shipping?

Edited by antikythera

• antikythera changed the title to Overgaard's lenses shade
Posted (edited)

This topic has been brought up many times.

for one, his shade is extravagantly overpriced. Once I questioned him by comparing with a Chinese made shade for less than 1/5 of the price and he even threatened to sue them for patent infringement.

for two, his shipment is a hit or miss. I heard some horrible stories that shipping from China or Hongkong or Vietnam or wherever it is took years.

sorry, not being helpful. But you can generally speaking find a similar one from eBay for less than 1/5 of the price if not less .

he is good at photography. He is not good at teaching it (watching his videos for 3 hours and you got nothing). He is even worse at monetizing his skillsets 

Edited by Warton
  • Like 2

Thank you for your reply.

It's very disappointing, as I occasionally visited his site. As you mentioned, I was surprised to find many cases similar to mine when I searched the site. I should have searched before posting this topic as well.

When I contacted PayPal to request a cancellation, they told me that there have been many reports of similar incidents. PayPal mentioned that they cannot leave this situation unattended and might impose some penalties if it gets worse.

Thank you also for your advice. I will look for it on eBay or Amazon.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Warton said:

This topic has been brought up many times.

for one, his shade is extravagantly overpriced. Once I questioned him by comparing with a Chinese made shade for less than 1/5 of the price and he even threatened to sue them for patent infringement.

for two, his shipment is a hit or miss. I heard some horrible stories that shipping from China or Hongkong or Vietnam or wherever it is took years.

sorry, not being helpful. But you can generally speaking find a similar one from eBay for less than 1/5 of the price if not less .

he is good at photography. He is not good at teaching it (watching his videos for 3 hours and you got nothing). He is even worse at monetizing his skillsets 

I suppose the selling point of the Overgaard hoods was that some of them used the dedicated hood threads of the lenses rather than the filter threads, but you were paying a lot for this compatibility. Most metal lens hoods from China are already well made, and a hood is, after all, just a hood. If the ebay traders are now offering hoods with the same threads, then I know where I'd get mine, given the price difference and less than positive customer service reports about his site on this forum. I would have thought it would be difficult for third parties to take legal action against each other - aren't they all just using mounting systems 'inspired' by Leica's own, on otherwise pretty generic hoods? I like Thorsten's site for camera reviews, but I can't say I've ever been tempted by his expensive products.

Edited by Anbaric

1 hour ago, M11 for me said:

As we can read here he always reacts or sends the ordered item. It just might last half an eternity. I hope it works out for you too.

Hmmm,
The case described in this thread recently was exactly the same as mine.

Anyway I don't think this situation is normal for an online store. If it takes a long time, the site should state so.

I am surprised that someone at least well known in the Leica community has such a bad online store. Maybe this is common knowledge within this community, but if this were a normal online store I would feel like I was being scammed.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Pierre68 said:

Seriously who would buy from Overgaard??? 

I understand his elephant hide lens hoods are very good, or am I confusing them with something else? 

Edited by 250swb
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Gobert said:

Elephant hoods. What’s that?

If lens hoods can be turned into a tragedy just think what could happen if the same person designed a suitcase.

• Haha 2

vor 14 Stunden schrieb antikythera:

Hmmm,
The case described in this thread recently was exactly the same as mine.

Anyway I don't think this situation is normal for an online store. If it takes a long time, the site should state so.

I am surprised that someone at least well known in the Leica community has such a bad online store. Maybe this is common knowledge within this community, but if this were a normal online store I would feel like I was being scammed.

No its not not normal at all. But its well known. Unfortunately you started your researched too late. My point just was that eventually you will get your overpaid stuff. We never read here that it does not work at all.

@Overgaard why do you let that happen? Threads over threads with the same story. Why do you not just close your shop rather than generating an army of unsatisfied customers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/6/2024 at 9:26 AM, antikythera said:

I bought a lens shade last Saturday on overgaard's website.
The payment was made with the wrong address and I have sent him an email to inquire about it, but I have not received any response in 5 days, so I'm very anxious.

Has anyone successfully made a purchase on his website?

Do they usually contact you before or after shipping?

I made a successful purchase about 6 years ago, took a few weeks for the lens hood to arrive, only to realise the original Leica hood looked better, so no... not worth it at the price they sell them for, the chrome finish does match perfectly with Leica's chrome finish there is that going for it.

I don't remember a contact before of after the order. Tried looking for it in my email, sadly I have been on his mailing list ever since and there are thousands of emails to sort through, can't confirm.

Hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction in a timely manner, try contacting him by leaving comments on his social media, YouTube and Instagram, under a recent post or video. You may be able to get a faster response from him through these channels.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the advice.

It's already been a week without a reply to my inquiry, purchase confirmation, or shipping notification. Nothing.

I've already tried contacting him on Instagram and X but he seems to refuse to accept DMs from strangers. I have no choice but to try Youtube comments...

Not even responding to refund or cancellation inquiries is not just a matter of manners, it should be illegal in EU online stores.

I already contacted PayPal. They said that they have received many complaints about his site in the past and they are considering disabling the PayPal purchase button for such malicious sellers in the future.

I hope there will be no more victims of Thorsten Overgaard @Overgaard store.

Edited by antikythera

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2024 at 3:29 PM, 250swb said:

I understand his elephant hide lens hoods are very good, or am I confusing them with something else? 

Hurry - order your elephant hide lens hood now. 

With good fortune on your side, it might arrive about the time Leica introduces the M75-P.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, antikythera said:

I've already tried contacting him on Instagram and X but he seems to refuse to accept DMs from strangers. I have no choice but to try Youtube comments.

Don't contact him via DM, leave comments under this latest posts and uploads on Instagram and YouTube for everyone to see, that should surely provide you with a quick answer. 

Maybe contact Paypal and have them refund/cancel your order because of wrong shipping address (that's your fault not the seller) and no response from vendor.

The box will go to the address on your Paypal account, it has to to protect the seller.

I would at the least put in a Paypal claim ASAP and have done w/it. He will definitely respond to that. No seller wants claims on their account. And lose the Paypal fees.

But at least he is not as bad as Linhof which is a pure scam for replacing defective camera parts. Linhof purposefully mistates costs, then demands wire transfer only, then claims the wrong amount was sent and wont return funds or send the part. This happened to me last Dec. Then they have the gall to demand a 2nd wire transfer for the remaining funds. They tried to get me to send funds 2x's and not ship parts. Never send funds to Linhof...ever..you wont get the part, or a refund. They just steal your money. I was a sucker 1x...but not ever again will I endorse Linhof. Lesson learned.

Am 7.3.2024 um 10:04 schrieb patrickcolpron:

only to realise the original Leica hood looked better, so no... not worth it at the price they sell them

I just wonder: What was your initial motivation to by that lens hood at all. What emotions were behind that? Any professional/lovical thoughts or just your ego wanting your camera look even flashier when walking through town? Were there primitive human needs to meet.

6 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

I just wonder: What was your initial motivation to by that lens hood at all. What emotions were behind that? Any professional/lovical thoughts or just your ego wanting your camera look even flashier when walking through town? Were there primitive human needs to meet.

Dude this is harsh. Different people have different needs/desires.

I myself have a summicron 28 asp v2 and summilux 35 ASPH FLE v1. They happen to share exactly same lens hood, which is rectangle with a cutoff for viewfinder. I found them less practical or aesthetically pleasing. So I ordered a metal round ventilated shade and found I really like it so I ordered a second one. Both are from same Chinese eBay seller, cost about $10 each.

This is the motion or ego as per your language, whatever that means for a lens hood

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 13 Minuten schrieb M11 for me:

I always thought that the so-called ventilated lens hoods do not block the rangefinder view too much. However, the description of the product does not seem to say anything about this. "The use of a ventilated shade (also known as a sunshade or lens hood) eliminates stray light from entering the lens and causing slight halation on the image. The larger the aperture of the lens, the more important it is to use a lens skade to cut off the strong side lights which have no photographic value. Other than that, they function as bumpers when the lens accidentially hits a wall og you drop it. That they are ventilated makes them look classic and cool."

Thus, reading the last sentence, the ventilated lens hoods seem to be a kind of alloy wheels for the Leica man... https://www.hotcars.com/wheels-too-ugly-for-words/#porsche-918-spyder

17 hours ago, M11 for me said:

"or just your ego wanting your camera look even flashier when walking through town? " That's a weird comment, mentioning/projecting "Ego" by someone who has M11 has a handle on an online forum, but what do I know. 

To answer the question I just thought I needed added protection for the front element on a 50 Lux  at a specific client in Paris where space was thigh. The lens retractable hood didn't stay in pace... It is the only location where I used it a few times only to realise it didn't make a difference. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1