Leica M11-L for left-eye shooters ...

Datsch

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can't seem to stop designing new M variants, sorry ....

This one for all us lefties out there ... I made a cardboard mockup to try it out and it's a bit freaky at first but quite nice to have one's nose out in the fresh air and not  squashed ... 🙃 👃

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Datsch
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Just hold the camera upside down! (maybe someone can create a mount for this!) - I have simply accepted my eternal nose smudges on the screen.

The problem I'd have with this is that whilst I am left eye dominant I am very much right handed and this looks like it would feel unnatural to hold. 

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Warton said:

Does that mean a left eye dominant person has to be a left handed person too?

How does this thing work with left eye on to the view finder while using right hand to press the shutter?

No, since eyes worm contralaterally. I am  a somewhat strongly left handed person (I have never met an entirely left handed person, most (all?) of us do some things like right-handed people) and shoot with the right eye. That makes the M so pleasant. 

There are some left handed wind cameras, like the Exakta.

I hold a knife in my right hand when using a knife and fork, but use a knife in my left hand at any other time. A spoon is always held in the left hand. We are just conditioned by the right hand world to do some things their way.

8 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

There should be a law that forces manufacturers to produce goods equally designed for use by left and right handed users.

That might well simply result in an M with the viewfinder in the middle and a shorter rangefinder base. Be careful what you ask for😁.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, pgk said:

That might well simply result in an M with the viewfinder in the middle and a shorter rangefinder base. Be careful what you ask for😁.

The first Barnack Leicas had a central finder, before it was moved off centre for some reason.

• Like 1

The Leica is of course a left-eyed camera already. Shooting with your left eye to the finder, it is properly braced against your face for steady shots at slower shutter speeds. Those stories about being able to see the scene better with the finder to your right eye are just propaganda by people who aren't holding it properly.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pyrogallol said:

The first Barnack Leicas had a central finder, before it was moved off centre for some reason.

And later, those fitted with two 'hotshoes' could be used with a central viewfinder and a vertical rangefinder. 'Progress' comes with caveats.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

There should be a law that forces manufacturers to produce goods equally designed for use by left and right handed users.

In order to subdue acrimony from the left handed contingent, Leica should make the M12 body two inches taller and install a second viewfinder on the right side of the body.  Place the shutter speed dial and the shutter release on opposite sides of the central hot shoe and all is golden.

And yes - a chrome version must be offered, too.  And a blue version, for those whose favorite color is blue.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

Back in the day, of course, Leica would make left-handed cameras for special customers.

https://twitter.com/rayrapkerg/status/887557145633357824

Guess what? If we all shoot only ourselves in mirrors, then we're all sporting left handed Leica's. Problem solved (that was easy).

FYI Leica did make a hot shoe accessory that would allow for release of the shutter with the left hand. They never made a left handed body. 

Edited by charlesphoto99

21 minutes ago, charlesphoto99 said:

They never made a left handed body. 

You're just jealous you aren't as famous as Stanley Kubrick and wouldn't have qualified for the custom left-handed Leica programme. I have it on good authority that these cameras were assembled in a special workshop staffed exclusively by left-handed technicians working with left-handed screwdrivers.

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

You're just jealous you aren't as famous as Stanley Kubrick and wouldn't have qualified for the custom left-handed Leica programme. I have it on good authority that these cameras were assembled in a special workshop staffed exclusively by left-handed technicians working with left-handed screwdrivers.

I know you're joking, but do keep in mind Kubrick wasn't famous yet when he was a stringer for Look. In later years he could command specially made lenses etc for 70mm movie cameras. Also, I'm pretty sure he was right handed. 

That said, not many know that Kurt Cobain famously played left handed guitar, but wrote with his right. 

• Like 1

Here Leica explains the 'professional' way to hold an M4 in portrait mode, naturally with the left eye.

• Like 1

I enjoyed this thread, I'm also left-eyed and had recalled that Leica once made a "leftie" version but could not find any evidence online so I guess I'm mistaken. When shooting in portrait mode I often use the method shown above (but also often do it the 'conventional' way, even though it is a bit awkward).

As has been pointed out, people are very rarely (if ever) fully left-sided. I write, play snooker, shoot cameras, use tools etc left handed. I also ride snowboards 'goofy'. For unknown reasons I play racket sports right handed, tend to kick with my right foot and an right-bodied for skating and martial arts.

And regarding the ergonomics of M cameras, I could never adapt to a left handed rangefinder having been using 'normal' ones for over a decade :D

• Like 1