Best part of this Q3 review is the photography

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yet another Q3 field review. A balanced review, however, what I really enjoyed most is the street photography that Federico Zaza (Nove100) did with the Q3. Thought I'd pass it along for those of you that may also enjoy it.

Edited by MindsEye
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

On 12/21/2023 at 10:58 AM, MindsEye said:

Yet another Q3 field review. A balanced review, however, what I really enjoyed most is the street photography that Federico Zaza (Nove100) did with the Q3. Thought I'd pass it along for those of you that may also enjoy it.

His most recent wedding photography is also stellar.

Bob

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the link.  interesting thoughts.  I have one question.  He refers to pixel binning for the ability to shoot lower resolution images, but hasn't that been shown to be not truly pixel binning but just some post production algorithm to reduce the resolution of the image?  I  think either Johathan or the Mathphotographer showed this. Correct me if I am wrong on this. 

thanks for the link. He also states this:

The quality is outstanding at all three resolutions, and when dropping to 36 or 18 megapixels, you gain even more dynamic range and noise reduction capabilities

Is that the experience of the swarm? I would have thought the other way, but I am no expert.

20 hours ago, Olaf_ZG said:

Great photos, but some could use tighter cropping. A Q3/45mm would have served him well.

17 hours ago, Patrick NL said:

Agree. He clearly is not used to such a wide prime. He is too far from his subjects.

It's a stretch to say "He is clearly not used to such a wide prime." or otherwise speculate about what equipment is best for him, without knowing him and his working methods personally. Perhaps, in your opinion he shoots some images wider than you would prefer. IMO, as a fellow professional photographer (35+ years), his work is wonderful. If you look at his other work (also outstanding) he uses context quite a bit. I think it helps accentuate the subject rather than distract.

But as I've said a number of times on this forum: Ask two photographers, get three opinions 😄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MindsEye said:

It's a stretch to say "He is clearly not used to such a wide prime." or otherwise speculate about what equipment is best for him, without knowing him and his working methods personally. Perhaps, in your opinion he shoots some images wider than you would prefer. IMO, as a fellow professional photographer (35+ years), his work is wonderful. If you look at his other work (also outstanding) he uses context quite a bit. I think it helps accentuate the subject rather than distract.

What would be the fun in that? 😉

I do think a lot of these shots are a bit too wide given the position of the subject. You can simply crop that to give the impression you are close enough, but I think in most shots it would have been better to be closer. Or maybe even further if you want context. Somehow, I think most of them are just a bit off somehow. I do agree this is my personal view and nobody has to agree with me.

But what do I know. I'm not a pro, meaning I have another way to make money and do not have to shoot what other people want me to shoot. I have done paid shoots, but I only do them if I feel like doing them and the subject/circumstances are to my liking. having to make money with photography is hard work and no fun for most photographers. I only envy a few really lucky ones.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Patrick NL said:

What would be the fun in that? 😉

I do think a lot of these shots are a bit too wide given the position of the subject. You can simply crop that to give the impression you are close enough, but I think in most shots it would have been better to be closer. Or maybe even further if you want context. Somehow, I think most of them are just a bit off somehow. I do agree this is my personal view and nobody has to agree with me.

But what do I know. I'm not a pro, meaning I have another way to make money and do not have to shoot what other people want me to shoot. I have done paid shoots, but I only do them if I feel like doing them and the subject/circumstances are to my liking. having to make money with photography is hard work and no fun for most photographers. I only envy a few really lucky ones.

You bring up a couple points, each of which could be threads of their own. I appreciate your weighing in. Bottom line for Zaza's galleries, like any art, is in the eye of the beholder.

Regarding shooting for my full time living: I've worked very hard and perhaps have also been lucky with my timing. For most of my career I've enjoyed following my passion. The hard work part has allowed me to reach a point where I shoot what I like to shoot. Fortunately, my patrons also like it. Although I've done well for myself, I won't encourage my tween-age daughter to go into photography. Video may be viable for awhile but still photography is a dying art, or at the very least, there are much easier ways to make a good living. I've reinvented my business more than once to stay ahead of the curve in photography. These days I love many of the AI tools. But AI will ultimately be a nail in the coffin for professional stills shooters. I'm thankful to be in the twilight years of my career. It's no easy task to make major changes to one's business and after awhile you get "change fatigue"

Back to the point of my original post, I think Zaza wrote a useful review, augmented by some fabulous images. And of course, you don't have to like the images. I fully expected differing opinions, because, as you say, what would be the fun, otherwise.

Happy holidays and new year to all!

And happy shooting!

Joel

• Like 2