What is the most exotic lens you've used on the SL2 / SL2-S ?

Pierre68

Pierre,

I use the Leica Vario-Elmar S 30-90mm zoom with the S to L adapter. Just an awesome lens, with some of the best glass Leica has ever produced. The SL2 with 

its IBIS makes using the heavier lens a dream handheld. Colors and rendition are the true "Leica glow".

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lieca M39 Screw mount 50mm Summicron – 1999 collector's edition, on my Leica SL (Typ 601)

https://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/50mm-f2-m.htm#m39

Only a few hundred made.  Wasn't amazing and if anything had a yellow cast → easy enough to fix though in post (via Capture One Pro)

350mm Tele Tessar FE : Sadly, borderline unusable. Just way too soft for digital. I have also used it with random view camera lenses on a Sinar P2, so maybe the 180mm APO Macro Sironar, or a reversed 90mm 4.5 APO Componon HM enlarging lens for high reproduction macro. Nothing beats the APO Summicrons though...not even the S lenses, to my eye.

MS Optics 57mm f/2 Petz Vario lens:  Not really a Petzval lens, just smeary in the periphery wide open, very sharp in the center of the frame, and good imagery all over stopped down to about f/4. Build quality of the lens inspired little confidence, as the aperture "stick" slot would allow easy ingress of dust and moisture.  Might work well for an indoor shooter who's weight-conscious, as it tips the scale at 110g.

I love using the really exotic Leica 500/8 Telyt lenses (mirror lens) on my SL and especially the MeyerOptik lenses Orestor 135/2.8 and Orestegor 200/4 from the 1960s with M42 mount and a warm and unusual character, and the bokeh is also very nice in my subjective opinion. The SL really harmonizes very well with these old/vintage lenses (probably analogous to the M lenses). 

-thomas

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

350mm Tele Tessar FE : Sadly, borderline unusable. Just way too soft for digital. I have also used it with random view camera lenses on a Sinar P2, so maybe the 180mm APO Macro Sironar, or a reversed 90mm 4.5 APO Componon HM enlarging lens for high reproduction macro. Nothing beats the APO Summicrons though...not even the S lenses, to my eye.

I think the 50 Summilux SL does. It has some extra magic to it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tpau17 said:

I love using the really exotic Leica 500/8 Telyt lenses (mirror lens) on my SL and especially the MeyerOptik lenses Orestor 135/2.8 and Orestegor 200/4 from the 1960s with M42 mount and a warm and unusual character, and the bokeh is also very nice in my subjective opinion. The SL really harmonizes very well with these old/vintage lenses (probably analogous to the M lenses). 

-thomas

Which of those lenses did you use for this picture?

Edited by Pierre68

Is this lens exotic enough? If you consider a “hole” also as a lens. f/110 😮

Edited by Stef63
  • Like 2

180/2 Summicron-R - my favourite gig lens - homeless after many years on my DMR, but now resurrected again.

Georgia Cecile at this years Cheltenham Jazz Festival - handheld 1/200 at F2

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

I don’t know if you’d consider it exotic, but the rendering from the Light Lens Lab Speed Panchro ii is different than some other lenses…

• Like 1