LEICA 50mm f/2 SUMMICRON-M ver 6

kivis

According to this Summicron version guide version 6 is the APO-Summicron-M F2.0. 'with the build in hood' is applicable to both v5 and v6. The Leica Wiki has a different set of numbering. 😞
Please call it APO-Summicron-M 50 to avoid even more confusion.

I stick to my humble Summicron 50 v4, without the hood most of the time. I have not seen the sun in 4 days anyway. Belgian autumn/winter weather at its best 😉

But I am sure v6 results will be lovely. Congratulations with your new 50mm.

Edited by dpitt

I'm Summicron fan since long, as such I had accumulated them for a while.

I don't bother which version is (are) these two.

The right one is with sliding hood LTM, and the left without, but same optical and with 8 blades ( first world problem ).

Anyway, they are beautiful and each time I use them, the feeling is right and great results every time.

I think that count a lot.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm not sure, but hardly important,

with one of these lens (the subtle color rendering ?)

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 3

I have seen some sources call it Ver 5 and some Ver 6. It is not the APO version.

• Like 1

@kivis I think the v1 was the collapsable, then the rigid/DR, the strictly German-made with no focus tab, the Canadian/German-made ASPH model with focus tab, and then the v5.   The v5 was updated a few years ago but from what little I know the differences are minor for everyday purposes and did not justify a version change designation.  

Why the APO is not customarily called a v6 is beyond me.  It's a 50 and a Summicron so logically should be referred to as v6.  I guess a $9,000 Summicron get's its own designation.  

Look forward to seeing some of your future photos.  

• Like 3

vor 4 Stunden schrieb RayD28:

the Canadian/German-made ASPH model with focus tab,

It doesn‘t have aspherical lenses.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb RayD28:

Why the APO is not customarily called a v6 is beyond me.

It’s called „Apo-Summicron“ - much easier for identifying the lens than trying to find one of the weird version numbers. If one does not accept that „version 4“ and „version 5“ are different lenses, which makes sense as they have the same optics and their only significant different is the hood, the current Summicron is „version 4“. So the Apo would be „version 5“ which many people use for the current non-Apo Summicron… 

Edited by UliWer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 minutes ago, UliWer said:

It’s called „Apo-Summicron“ - much easier for identifying the lens than trying to find one of the weird version numbers. If one does not accept that „version 4“ and „version 5“ are different lenses, which makes sense as they have the same optics and their only significant different is the hood, the current Summicron is „version 4“. So the Apo would be „version 5“ which many people use for the current non-Apo Summicron… 

Not sure. I like the Ken Rockwell classification. If you follow the 'same optics' route then the Summicron v1 collapsible is the same as the Rigid and the DR version. They are totally different in use. The DR can not even be used on most digital Ms while the others are compatible with all Ms.

The same with the v4. It is smaller and lighter than the v5 with built in hood. And it is tabbed. I prefer it over the v5 because I rarely have need for the hood. What is the use of versions if you can have a different form factor and compatibility?

I love Leica products in general, but their naming decisions are really inconsistent to say the least. Look at the decision to call the upgrade of the M9 -> M(typ 240) and then M10. Or even worse, calling the new digital products simply CL (there was a compact film CL that is still widely used) and the SL digital while there is a SL classic from the sixties (as well as a SL2)

• Thanks 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb dpitt:

If you follow the 'same optics' route then the Summicron v1 collapsible is the same as the Rigid and the DR version.

The „rigid“ certainly has a different optical design. It’s obvious if you compare the results. 

vor 3 Minuten schrieb dpitt:

What is the use of versions if you can have a different form factor and compatibility?

Well, I always thought the „version“ numbers were used to make others understand what is meant. 

9 minutes ago, UliWer said:

The „rigid“ certainly has a different optical design. It’s obvious if you compare the results. 

Well, I always thought the „version“ numbers were used to make others understand what is meant. 

Yes, I fully agree about the Rigid. Although they collapsible / rigid and DR are on the same page here:
https://wiki.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Summicron_(I)_f%3D_5_cm_1:2
I do not care which version we need to call it, but it is confusing to talk about the variants this way.

So, indeed, version numbers should make understanding better, not worse. Leica should have started by using consistent naming. This is not our responsibility... 😞

vor 13 Minuten schrieb dpitt:

Leica should have started by using consistent naming. This is not our responsibility... 😞

You‘ll never find a new lens called „version x“ bei Leica. They usually just give it a new number to order it - though not always so. The 50mm Summilux had a new optics without any indication. The whole „versionalogy“ was invented by some book authors and many internet websites and only created confusion, the Wiki of this forum is just one of them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kivis said:

I have seen some sources call it Ver 5 and some Ver 6. It is not the APO version.

Technically this is the v4 Summicron with a built-in hood. I have it also. Love it. I will never sell this lens. 

better refer to these lenses by their model numbers. Just say the 50 Summicron #11826. 

@RayD28 The only ASPH 50 Summicron is the APO or more accurately the #11141. 

I don’t like tabs (unless on very small lenses like my 35 Nokton II or a KOB or 28 Summaron), so for me the nicest APO is the model #11811.

The APO ASPH would be too corrected and perfect, so I still prefer the regular 50 Summicron #11826. IMO the greatest 50mm ever created. Hasn’t changed since 1979 and you can still mount it on an M11 and it still looks the best. 

IMO this is Mandler’s greatest creation. 

Edited by muskyvibes
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, UliWer said:

You are correct and thank you for reminding me the v4 and v5 are not ASPH.  You are right about the version numbers.  Can be confusing.  I suppose if everyone is consistent (nearly impossible to do) it would be easier.  

1 hour ago, muskyvibes said:

Technically this is the v4 Summicron with a built-in hood. I have it also. Love it. I will never sell this lens. 

better refer to these lenses by their model numbers. Just say the 50 Summicron #11826. 

@RayD28 The only ASPH 50 Summicron is the APO or more accurately the #11141. 

I don’t like tabs (unless on very small lenses like my 35 Nokton II or a KOB or 28 Summaron), so for me the nicest APO is the model #11811.

The APO ASPH would be too corrected and perfect, so I still prefer the regular 50 Summicron #11826. IMO the greatest 50mm ever created. Hasn’t changed since 1979 and you can still mount it on an M11 and it still looks the best. 

IMO this is Mandler’s greatest creation. 

You are right and thank you for reminding me.  

1 hour ago, muskyvibes said:

I still prefer the regular 50 Summicron #11826. IMO the greatest 50mm ever created. Hasn’t changed since 1979 and you can still mount it on an M11 and it still looks the best. 

I'm still wondering which is the best of the 50mm Summicron (11826) and 50mm Summilux pre-ASPH (11868) at comparable apertures (especially f/2). I haven't seen many direct comparisons.

3 hours ago, evikne said:

I'm still wondering which is the best of the 50mm Summicron (11826) and 50mm Summilux pre-ASPH (11868) at comparable apertures (especially f/2). I haven't seen many direct comparisons.

I don't know which is best (anyway depending on individual tastes and situations),

Me, I prefer when weight is not a problem, 50mm Summilux-M 11868 and 11869 over my other Summicrons.

Happy using now Summarit-M 2.5/50 which is my prefered 50mm lens.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, evikne said:

Technically I would say a more corrected lens with floating elements will be “better” at f2 than the Summicron 11826. 

I never shoot it at f2 though. Mostly f4-f8 and rarely at f2.8. 

I will always choose my Summicron over a Summilux because it’s smaller, lighter, and not as corrected. The Summicron gives you so many different looks depending on the aperture and the lighting. The little bit of flare can be controlled by the photographer and it’s not an issue in every day use for me. 

But if I needed something more corrected with minimal flare and more clinical to the edges I would go for the Summilux (the APO is too expensive). 

I did own the APO-Lanthar 50 which as they say it’s not too far away from the Leica APO and I ended up selling it. I love the cron more even though it’s not as perfect. 

Optical perfection is overrated for me. 

If you want absolute perfection from f2 to f11 the and don’t mind getting rid of some vignetting at f2 (there’s a profile on LR), then I recommend the APO-Lanthar. The only drawback is the size and weight. Which isn’t bad, just more like a Lux 11891 than a Summicron. 

Edited by muskyvibes
  • Like 2

Oh goodie!

The Summicron V5 (non APO) is my favourite Leica in terms of operation and tactile feedback. It's amazingly small and light, perfect focus throw. Love the retractable hood! I can totally see and feel why this lens is still in production.

Optically, it is superb as well. Here are some shots (all taken with M10-M and a light-red filter).

Edited by Lesslemming
  • Like 1

As a bonus: The Apo Summicron metal cap (14398) fits the Summicron V5, too.
You can improve the fit by adding just a tiny bit of electrical tape to the inside.
Note, however, that the cap sits against the aperture ring and might cause wear to the finish.

To prevent this, I applied a thick coat of matte black revell paint to the bottom of the lens cap which prevents metal rubbing against metal.

Edited by Lesslemming