LEICA 50mm f/2 SUMMICRON-M ver 6

kivis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK - so I'm curious. Although I no longer own it, is this a Ver 5 or 6 according to the discussion above? Just Curious

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

8 minutes ago, Lesslemming said:

As a bonus: The Apo Summicron metal cap (14398) fits the Summicron V5, too.
You can improve the fit by adding just a tiny bit of electrical tape to the inside.
Note, however, that the cap sits against the aperture ring and might cause wear to the finish.

To prevent this, I applied a thick coat of matte black revell paint to the bottom of the lens cap which prevents metal rubbing against metal.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Can I ask why you would go to that length to adapt such lens cap when the existing one, the clip-on, works perfectly?

No criticism here, genuinely interested.

Mind you, the first thing I do with a new lens is to get it out of the box, front and rear lens caps go back in, and I fit a high quality protector filter in front and a double sided rear cap. I never use front caps.

40 minutes ago, spydrxx said:

OK - so I'm curious. Although I no longer own it, is this a Ver 5 or 6 according to the discussion above? Just Curious

To my understanding, a V6 does not exist in our vocabulary here. The V5 is what you seem to have and the next version is the APO. Sometimes , apparently, the normal Summicron you have is also referred to as V6, hence the confusion.

41 minutes ago, Harpomatic said:

Can I ask why you would go to that length to adapt such lens cap when the existing one, the clip-on, works perfectly?

No criticism here, genuinely interested.

Mind you, the first thing I do with a new lens is to get it out of the box, front and rear lens caps go back in, and I fit a high quality protector filter in front and a double sided rear cap. I never use front caps.

That is a fair question. I find clip-on caps a flimsy and uncharacteristically low budget protection. It’s just a cheap piece of plastic and doesn’t look all that good.

I love the feeling of a well fitted, velvet lined metal cap and feel the premium we pay with Leica entitles me to a free one (but here we are…)

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kivis said:

yes This latest version of the 50mm f2 non APO, is Version 5. I guess the APO version is considered 6.

I really think the APO is not considered V6 around here, and most places I have been to. It is referred to as “APO”, acknowledging a completely new branch in the lineage. Same goes for the 35mm APO. They exist next to their non-apo kin and are not their replacement (hence both non-apo versions are still in production)

Edited by Lesslemming
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1