Summicron collapsible 50mm

Moonshine

Mine is one year older (1951 ! ... radioactive glass ) but is pretty good performer on film and digital :) .

And my one too :)  rather an early s/n considering that official 1st batch starts at 920.000

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Indeed. Mine is a 1955 vintage. Here on the M9, in the streets of Havana a few years ago, with a slightly younger subject.  

• Like 8

And a couple more, while I'm at it. Same camera, same lens, same trip.

• Like 10

Mine is from 1953. I've hesitated to put it on my digital body (246) due to possible damage if the lens is collapsed. Is this a problem?

Collapsing works fine on all the digital bodies I have put my lens on.

If you are unsure about your particular body/lens combination, this is easy to measure with a caliper.

Always mount/unmount in extended position to avoid damage to the roller cam.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Gradycarter,

Thanks for revival of this lovely ancient lens.

From 1952, this is uncommon Summicron of first batch.

May I ask the first 3 digits ( 9xx or 1xx ) of your collapsible.

Mine is one year older (1951 ! ... radioactive glass ) but is pretty good performer on film and digital :) .

The complete serial number of my lens is #1021521

Mine is from 1953. I've hesitated to put it on my digital body (246) due to possible damage if the lens is collapsed. Is this a problem?

I found that when I collapse the lens, It does not protrude further than my lens adapter. So, I did not have any reason for the fear...!!

That is a Voigtlander brand adapter, no?

I'm glad you asked because what I did is went on eBay and bought this Helicoid made in china from a chinese merchant and it was a no name brand. It worked excellently. I was the best thing for the Collapsible  50mm Summicron because it allowed me to focus much closer than the minimum distance it was originally design. I bought another from a different merchant , but, unfortunately it was stiff on the helicoid close focusing. It still works though...

I recently got back a 50mm collapsible cron from Malcom Taylor.  Took a long time (don't ask) for him to figure out the best approach (re-polish, back order new old element, etc...) to get the most out of it.  But I reckon it's up there as one of the best, cleanest copies out there. I'll try and take some shots to share.

Here's mine:

36856340492_f8da406684_o.jpgP9040006 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

I got it along with my M2, back in the early 70's.  It saw plenty of action on an M8 and M8.2 when those came out.  Flares like crazy (only we call it "glow."):

original.jpg

original.jpg

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 6

Yes!

• Like 5

Here is another Collapsible Leitz 50mm f2 Lens made before the Summicron called the Summitar. This was bought before I acquired the Summicron. This lens was made in 1946...

• Like 2

Here is the 1st Photos I shot with that lens...

• Like 11

I recently got back a 50mm collapsible cron from Malcom Taylor.  Took a long time (don't ask) for him to figure out the best approach (re-polish, back order new old element, etc...) to get the most out of it.  But I reckon it's up there as one of the best, cleanest copies out there. I'll try and take some shots to share.

Malcolm rang me this afternoon to say that  mine is ready. I had few complaints with it anyway, but can't wait to see what he has done, and to introduce it to the M10 which arrived while it was on its hols in Herefordshire. I'll try to post some pics here once it's back.

• Like 1

Here's my 1955 specimen, looking rather good on the M10 I think;  Malcolm has cleaned it up marvellously. (He's also done a lovely job on my Canon LTM 35/2 - quite transformed it.) Sadly it has to go back as it's front-focussing, so no pics from it until it returns.

Christopher

• Like 3

I am owning this lens and using on my M8, M3, and Leica III without problem on collapsing the tube.

(This lens should be alright to use on M9 -- IMO, suggest to try this lens on M9 with guidance at shop or service center).

I also found no problem on close up to 1 meter with nice bokeh with the lens fully open ( this depends on glass quality of individual lens, as many of this lens are aged)

I went through reviews before I bought this lens, and find most of the reviews are helpful and reliable.

Will post the reviews for your reference if I found this.

I love this lens very much .. in terms of size, and price point --- IMHO

Mission accomplished !

I am also a sucker for old glas now for a while

Call it character or something else at the end it has to be the picture

that fits to your ideas and this you can´t find in any test or review

You have to find out yourself !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

And my one too :)  rather an early s/n considering that official 1st batch starts at 920.000

attachicon.gifMY_Summicron_LTM.jpg

There is a listing on eBay for this lens with as quoted: SN#921667 Early Preproduction Lens"

Any idea if rather  a higher price owner requested $770 (as opposed to other listing $400 - $550) somewhat reasonable with respect to the first production batch?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M-Summicron-5cm-1-2-1952-SN-921667-Early-Preproduction-Lens-Prototype/272831249283?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D47507%26meid%3D0fc82a2d6af349c4b9f9dca801c6938b%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D253132936072&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851