50mm Summicron v4 vs v5

SNJ Ops

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Somchai:

Actually there’s no such thing as “v5”. In fact both lenses are v4 because the optics are exactly the same.

Technically you may be correct, but at least on this forum, members designate the version with the built-in hood as v5, whereas the preceding tabbed version of that lens is the v4. Most of the forum members understand the difference between v4 and v5, and it is just so much easier to use the v4 and v5 designations than always having to say "non-tabbed" or "with built-in hood", the more so since there are other non-tabbed Summicron 50 lenses, too.

Apart from the above, I seem to recall having read about some subtle optical changes between the v4 and the v5. Certainly not enough changes for Leica to change the version number, but some changes anyway. 

• 9 months later...

As a Leica Society International member, I learned from Leica Wetzlar management that the Version 4 and 5 are optically the same.  Version 5 is a purely mechanical update.

The reason that the lens is still in production since 1979 is that this is a reference lens with an outstanding design.  Stopped down a bit it is hard to distinguish the 50 Summicron

performance from much more expensive lenses of any type.  Also very hard to beat its very small size and weight, which is what Leica is known for.  The current Leica MTF diagrams confirm this.

58 minutes ago, B Royce said:

As a Leica Society International member, I learned from Leica Wetzlar management that the Version 4 and 5 are optically the same.  Version 5 is a purely mechanical update.

Would be interesting to ask Leica management what they mean by "optically the same". Are they including coatings in that statement? As shown above, internal reflections of early Canada-made v4 with convex("tiger paw") focus tab  have not the same colour as later German-made copies with concave focus tab.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lct said:

My v3 had more flare if i remember well. Was half a century ago though so my ageing memory may fail me.

Central veiling flare can be an issue - you learn to avoid the conditions that cause it. But even ver 5 can have that issue too.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, lct said:

Would be interesting to ask Leica management what they mean by "optically the same". Are they including coatings in that statement? As shown above, internal reflections of early Canada-made v4 with convex("tiger paw") focus tab  have not the same colour as later German-made copies with concave focus tab.

Not directly related, but I remember a Zeiss employee explaining that every Hasselblad lens was redesigned in the 1990s, even the ones that didn't get a new product code. The main change was due to fazing-out lead glass, but they also improved coatings and flare/reflection control.

I will confess an irrational desire for a “Tiger Paw/Claw” Summicron. A local camera store having one available is not helpful, in my coping with my 50mm addiction. I do not normally favor focusing tabs, but, the unusual convex profile of the “Paw/Claw” catches my eye, and, the different lens element coatings just might provide a different type of vintage look, in some images, if captured in some lighting conditions, with a color sensor.

Must resist… 

17 minutes ago, RexGig0 said:

I will confess an irrational desire for a “Tiger Paw/Claw” Summicron. A local camera store having one available is not helpful, in my coping with my 50mm addiction. I do not normally favor focusing tabs, but, the unusual convex profile of the “Paw/Claw” catches my eye, and, the different lens element coatings just might provide a different type of vintage look, in some images, if captured in some lighting conditions, with a color sensor.

It just causes a bit more flare in my experience. Otherwise it renders the same as later v4's and focus tabs are a matter of taste. With the convex one i feel like i must use my medium finger to focus, which i don't like much.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, lct said:

It just causes a bit more flare in my experience. Otherwise it renders the same as later v4's and focus tabs are a matter of taste. With the convex one i feel like i must use my medium finger to focus, which i don't like much.

Thanks. You are helping me to resist. 🙂

• Haha 1

Some (all?) early v4's have also plastic parts AFAIK, which i did not know when i bought mine in the eighties. Made no difference to me in 30+ years TBH but i feel more reassured with my later German made copy with concave focus tab. It has the same IQ as my v5 though so its main interest together with the concave tab is a slightly more compact size and a separate hood (metal 12585 or plastic 12538).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1