Leica M11 / M11-M / M11-P: Firmware Update v.2.0.2

LUF Admin

@LUF Admin  My M11-P update did not work!!

I've tried twice.  each time I add the new firmware in its M11-P to the root directory of the card, insert card, go to Camera information., down to firmware update, and it is greyed out.  So there is something deficient in this morning's downloaded copy of the 2.0.2 update.  I'll try again using FOTOS.

This update went more smoothly for me than the previous.

Done both times through the Fotos App, last time I had to remove the camera completely form my phone (bluetooth & WiFi) then re-add it to get connected again.

This time no such troubles, after the smooth update all was fine. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 minutes ago, lct said:

No problem here either but can someone explain me what difference(s) is(are) in the behaviour of the camera when dust protection is on or off?

From the firmware update notes:

"DUST PROTECTION

The shutter closes automatically during lens change to prevent the ingress of dust and other particles. In some cases, when using specific adapters, the sensor for lens detection may not be covered fully. This may result in the dust protection function not detecting a re-locked lens and will not automatically open the shutter. When using such adapters, the function should be deactivated before changing the lens.

Select Camera Settings in the main menu

Select Dust Protection

Select On or Off.

Notes

Make sure to always have a lens or the camera bayonet cover attached to prevent dust or other foreign bodies penetrating the camera.

That is why you should always replace lenses quickly and in a dust-free environment."

I always prefer to do Leica firmware updates from the Fotos app. In the past I've had to wait days for the update to appear on the Fotos app after the update was released on the website for manual download. So thank you Leica for making v.2.0.2 available first thing on the Fotos app! 

Note: Someone might find this helpful. On this occasion I did have a problem connecting my iPhone to the Fotos app to transfer and install the update. After a few unsuccessful connections, I unpaired the M11 from the iPhone via "forget this device" command and then re-paired the M11 to the iPhone and the updated transferred and installed as normal.

39 minutes ago, LBJ2 said:

The shutter closes automatically during lens change to prevent the ingress of dust and other particles.

Thank you @LBJ2 The shutter was closed, in my case, when dust protection is off too. In fact, i happened to switch the camera off before the lens change as i always do. For people like me, the sentence above should be understood as "When the camera is switched on, contrary to Leica's instructions, the shutter closes automatically..." or something like that.

Edited by lct
  • Like 2

Just now, lct said:

Thank you @LBJ2 The shutter was closed, in my case, when dust protection is off too. In fact, i happened to switch the camera off before the lens change as i always do. For people like me, the sentence above should be understood as "When the camera is switched on, contrary to Leica's instructions, the shutter closes automatically..." or something like that.".

Yes. Maybe a translation nuance. 

I've alway appreciated dust protection on my mirrorless cameras. But seems some lenses/adapters can interfere with the dust cover/shutter operations, so absolutely necessary that this can be set on/or off for those circumstances. 

Hillarious. I guess I just won't shoot anything important.

"Important information regarding the import of DNG files • In rare cases, the import of DNGs from the SD card to image processing programs like Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Photoshop Lightroom would result in damage to the data structure, rendering the DNGs unreadable. This error will be remedied shortly"

2 minutes ago, LBJ2 said:

Yes. Maybe a translation nuance. 

I've alway appreciated dust protection on my mirrorless cameras. But seems some lenses/adapters can interfere with the dust cover/shutter operations, so absolutely necessary that this can be set on/or off for those circumstances. 

Under firmware 2.0.1, sufficed it to switch camera on to open the shutter with no lens attached. Was handy for fast sensor cleaning with a blower for instance. I hope it is still possible under firmware 2.0.2 but i suspect i will have to set dust protection to off for that.

24 minutes ago, lct said:

ISO maxi values are still prioritized apparently. No rocket science to crank them up manually to increase shutter speeds IMHO. YMMV.

Camera adds 1/3 of a stop on its own and don't use shutter speed set by user, that's a bug, bug should be fixed, no opinions are required.

8 minutes ago, Krzysztof said:

Camera adds 1/3 of a stop on its own and don't use shutter speed set by user, that's a bug, bug should be fixed, no opinions are required.

Then my lack of opinion 😉 is to recall that auto iso does not set apertures and to ask you to elaborate if you don't mind or to post a link if this has been discussed already.

M11-P problem seems solved.  I upgraded firmware using Fotos.  I was using a fresh iPad, so I didn't have to erase all trace of previous incarnation of the M11-P, but that is always a good thing to do.  Checked things with a shot or two.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

No problems for me with update via Fotos app on M11-P. Will test it out in the morning. Currently in Munich for a few days and then Southern Italy for a little over a week. The camera should get plenty of use over the next two weeks. It has not had any problems so far. 

Upgraded without issues using a dedicated sd card. After upgrading, with the sd card for shooting (yes it is UHS-II), it didn't take too long for the first "sd card error", with corrupted .dng's on the card. After reformatting the card with Disk Utility everything seems ok again. But not good (trust comes on foot and leaves on horseback).