Case collection Freezes with Leica M11, M11-M, M11-P and Firmware V 2.0.2

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Remark in advance:

This is not a normal discussion thread, the purpose is to find individual problem cases. We will therefore moderate this thread more strictly and delete posts that do not adhere to this rule.

Topic are so-called "freezes" with Leica M11, M11-M, M11-P, which still occur after the last firmware update (V 2.0.2).

With the last firmware updates, the stability of the software has been further optimized, but apparently there are still individual freeze messages that are difficult to pinpoint. In these cases, the camera no longer responds to inputs - the battery must be removed and reinserted in order to continue taking pictures.

As the experiences of those affected are spread across different threads, we would like to bundle your feedback in this thread in order to get an overview and find data for a common cause.

To make it easier for us to get an overview, please do the following:

• Only report if you have exactly this problem with firmware V 2.0.2.
  • If possible, please provide information on how often freezes occur and under what circumstances.
  • Please no discussions, only case reports

If you would like to discuss your experiences, please do so in this thread:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Here a specific case report using the latest firmware. Hope this is the type of info needed.

In general I have very rarely experienced freezes, but it occassionally has occured.

• Most recent case shooting a music event last week.
  • Single shot mode, but shooting quite rapidly trying to catch the expressions of the musicians
  • I was using the rangefinder to focus and mostly had the live view turned off (turned on occassionally to check histogram)
  • Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO were all set manually.
  • Camera set to Internal Memory = SD card ("back up mode")
  • After a series of shots I noticed the shutter was not firing and when I checked I had the "red circle arrows" on the rear screen
  • <edit> not only was the most recent shot missing but the previous 2-3 pictures (where shutted had fired) also were missing>
  • I turned camera off and removed the battery, re-inserted and it was working normally again
  • Of course I missed my best shot as a result, "the one that got away" 😀
Edited by hoolyproductions
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Similar experiences with M11 and M11M. Latest FW on both.

Has happened either (a) when powering on or waking up the camera and trying to take a shot immediately or (b) when taking a shot and trying to review it very quickly. Result is the now infamous endless spinning circle that can only be interrupted by removing and re-inserting the battery.

Less frequent now as I'm trying to be more careful and avoid the above actions. Seems perhaps more likely to happen on the M11 or when the EVF is mounted, but not sure.

Cameras set to save in DNG-L only to SD card, then internal. Cards are SanDisk Extreme Pro 256 GB UHS-II.

I haven't been able to identify a freeze pattern related to the ISO, shutter speed or metering mode being used. I'm not saying there isn't one, but I have only had the cameras for a few weeks.

• Like 2

Freeze and corrupt DNG both happened after I started using a non-6-bit coded third party lens in silver on 2.0.2. Dust protection was set to “on”. Haven’t had a freeze or corrupt DNG after resetting the camera, not exporting/importing my user profiles during the reset, setting dust protection to off, and changing the image format to DNG-only instead of DNG+JPEG. Not sure if any of the changed settings make a difference, but thought it was worth mentioning just in case.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M11M on firmware 2.02. 

Leica 50mm APO attached, writing to internal storage first and mirroring to sandisk SD card

Froze during a studio session. I had a profoto trigger attached and was taking photos of the subject, after around a dozen shots the shutter stopped working, and I realised the camera was frozen - the screen was showing the spinning red arrows. I waited a couple of minutes to see if the spinning arrows would disappear but they did not. Turning off the camera didn't turn off the screen, so I had to pull the battery.

Once the battery was re-inserted the camera powered up and worked again, but I could not afford the interruption during a studio session so had to use another camera for the rest of the shoot. 

Edited by Stevejack
  • Like 2

I have a M11, with a Lux 35 mm, 6 bit codified. Firmware 2.0.2. From one month ago trouble free. But… today with the Visoflex 2 attached y took a few shot and then the M11 display the spinning circle and get blocked. I get out an the get in the battery and it returns to normal behavior.

These are my settings when the freezing session:

DNG Large only. Write to SD (128 GB Extreme Pro V3). Card formatted by the M11. Multi pattern exposure. Auto ISO and Auto Speed, manual aperture. Single shoot mode. Visoflex attached.

My standard setting, with no freezing in a month, does not include Visoflex, Auto ISO and Auto Speed. 

Hope that help. Regards Leica friends

• Like 2

6 hours ago, VJPGG said:

I have a M11, with a Lux 35 mm, 6 bit codified. Firmware 2.0.2. From one month ago trouble free. But… today with the Visoflex 2 attached y took a few shot and then the M11 display the spinning circle and get blocked. I get out an the get in the battery and it returns to normal behavior.

These are my settings when the freezing session:

DNG Large only. Write to SD (128 GB Extreme Pro V3). Card formatted by the M11. Multi pattern exposure. Auto ISO and Auto Speed, manual aperture. Single shoot mode. Visoflex attached.

My standard setting, with no freezing in a month, does not include Visoflex, Auto ISO and Auto Speed. 

Hope that help. Regards Leica friends

So sorry for my mistake: the camera was setup to record DNG and JPG files to the SD card when get freezes. Just to be precise.

• Like 2

I’m seeing a few odd behaviors that appear to be FW related. 

1. When turning on the camera, the red LED lights up and stays lit, never turning off or allowing me to capture a frame.  This often happens when rapidly turning the power off and then on again, though occasionally it will happen simply by turning the camera on for the first time after sitting untouched for an extended period of time.  Camera is unresponsive to any input or the power switch. Battery must be removed and reinserted.  Happens 1-4 times per ~4hr session.

2. When releasing the shutter, the camera becomes unresponsive.  The rear display shows the spinning arrows.  Camera is unresponsive to any input or the power switch. Battery must be removed and reinserted.  Happens 0.5-1 times per ~4hr session.

3. DNG file corruptions, seemingly corresponding to occurrences of the events listed above. 

4. When shooting in continuous mode, the camera will fire 3-4 frames instead of a single one regardless of how quickly the shutter button is pressed.  It’s as if it temporarily freezes while the shutter input is being received, internally dragging out the command over 1-2 seconds.  I was able to reproduce this numerous times with representatives at the Leica Bellevue store both with my own body and the floor model, both on few 2.0.2.

Technical data:

-M11

-fw 2.0.2

-Summicron 50mm APO & Voigtlander Ultron 28mm

-SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC II 150MB/s W V60 256gb

Shooting settings that trigger freezes:

-L-DNG to SD card, L-JPG to internal memory

-Geotagging on

-Lens Detection Auto

-Drive mode: all

-Noise Reduction: Off

-JPG Noise Reduction: 0

Thank you for posting this thread, very glad to see this issue getting more attention. 

• Like 2

To day, my M11 under  2.0.2 FW froze  4 times in 2hours during a street session (for chinese new year parade) : ISO: Auto, Speed:  Auto, drive mode:  continuous high speed.

About 1 hour later froze one more time but this time ISO: manual,   speed: auto , drive mode : single. 

Each time I took,the battery off for 45sec /1mn to awake the camera.

Back home I tested twice ISO auto, Speed auto and continuous high speed and the camera did not freeze.

It is the first time since I up dated the FW.

SD card formated in the body is a Lexar 64GB  V60  280MB/sec R and 210 MB/sec W

• Like 1

I had been getting the occasional unreadable DNG, so I switched from SD first Internal second storage mode to SD = IN.  For the first time in a while I got a corrupted DNG on the SD card.  The same file on the Internal storage was readable.  It was, by the way, the first shot of a series, a grab shot, and so I think the M11 had just woken up.

FW 2.02

Card Lexar 1667x 128gb (deep format with SDFormatter then reformatted in camera)

Single Exposure mode

L-DNG only

Fotos Connectivity Performance Mode

Lens Detection AUTO

Edited by erudolph
  • Like 1

M11 under 2.0.2. While shooting in manual, the camera/Live View froze up while using the screen and EVF 2. The camera then stopped working.

Camera was switched off, EVF removed, and then turned camera back on. The camera then had the red border with spinning white wheel for about 2 minutes.

I then turned if off again via on/off switch, but nothing happened. Still spinning wheel.

Pulled battery, and turned back on via on/off switch. The screen remained blank, but after 12 seconds, the red light came on, followed by the screen.

The camera had frozen while shooting and had lost the last 5 images that I shot.

The battery was three quarters full at that point.

SD cards used, same as ever Delkin Black 64Gb SDXC V30 UHS-I, formatted on SD Card Formatter V5  in computer, then reformatted in the camera. 

Images shot as DNG, saved only to SD card and not to INT memory.

Video of this avail if required.

Edited by HRJ
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for those case reports. I'm no mod here so don't take this post into account if it bothers you but it would be interesting to elaborate, if you did not already, on were you using a 6-bit coded lens when freezes occurred. Also was Dust protection set to on at that very moment.

9 hours ago, lct said:

Thank you for those case reports. I'm no mod here so don't take this post into account if it bothers you but it would be interesting to elaborate, if you did not already, on were you using a 6-bit coded lens when freezes occurred. Also was Dust protection set to on at that very moment.

–>

On 2/15/2024 at 2:14 AM, LUF Admin said:

...If you would like to discuss your experiences, please do so in this thread:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hdmesa said:

I just call to the Leica Store. The first question was “Have you checked, from the first picture you take, that the SD card inserted can achieve 300 MB/s?”

I first installed and used a 170 MB/s.

A couple a weeks later a get a new one faster (300 MB/s)

One month later I get a red square, spinning circle and my camera get freezed. I  realize after taking off, waiting 10 seconds, and reinstalling battery that I lost two or three DNGs.

It seems that the trouble (AFAIK) is related to the writing speed. The M11 tries at 300, if the card can not archive this rate, something wrong happen. And from this moment the M11 will be frozen, sooner or later.

So probably the fix (AFAIK) will be a “deep” or “internal” factory format. 

Edited by VJPGG
  • Like 1

No freezes since 1.6, but multiple file corruptions since 2.0.2.  Around a dozen or more at this point. Mitigated to a degree by using SD=INT.  After switching to that storage mode, while I still encounter corruption on the SD, in all cases the internal memory saved the shot properly despite the SD file being unreadable.  As has been reported by others, in every instance the corrupted image was the first capture taken after a power on.  It's important to note that the camera was given more than sufficient time to boot (certainly so as evidenced by the fact that the images are intact on the internal memory).  Apologies, if this is seen as speculation, but I feel compelled to suggest, given the difficulty in tracing these issues, that the problem could be related to shutdown, not startup, as many seem to have assumed. ie. some unexpected state/non-0'd nv memory occasionally persists across the power off/on sequence that gets cleared after the first shot has been taken. Hence only the first shot fails after which all others succeed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

从 1.6 开始没有冻结,但从 2.0.2 开始出现多个文件损坏。此时大约有十几个或更多。通过使用 SD=INT 可在一定程度上缓解。切换到该存储模式后,虽然我仍然遇到 SD 损坏的情况,但在所有情况下,尽管 SD 文件不可读,但内部存储器都正确保存了镜头。正如其他人所报告的那样,在每种情况下,损坏的图像都是开机后拍摄的第一个图像。值得注意的是,相机有足够的时间来启动(当然,内存中的图像完好无损就证明了这一点)。抱歉,如果这被视为猜测,但考虑到追踪这些问题的困难,我觉得有必要建议,问题可能与关闭有关,而不是像许多人似乎认为的那样与启动有关。 IE。一些意外的状态/非 0d nv 内存偶尔会在电源关闭/打开序列中持续存在,并在第一次拍摄后被清除。因此,只有第一次射击失败,之后所有其他射击都成功。

yes, even though the camera has enough time to start up, the broken DNG still come up on first shot, we do not push it ……

• Like 1

I've experienced 2 freezes since updating to FW2.x. Both occurred on switching the camera on. One time the lens cap was definitely on, the other i'm pretty sure it was. Both were remedied by removing and reformatting the SD cards (one Angelbird and one SanDisk, each with SDCardFormatter). I mentioned this to my cool & friendly local Leica Store guys one time I was in there who hadn't experienced this and offered to get my body reset- I didn't take them up on the offer.

• Like 2