SD Card Issues with M11/M11M Since Firmware 2.0.2

johnbuckley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

23 hours ago, RMF said:

As per the 2.02 release notes; 

‘Important information regarding the import of DNG files.
In rare cases, the import of DNGs from the SD card to image processing programs like Adobe Photo-
shop and Adobe Photoshop Lightroom would result in damage to the data structure, rendering the
DNGs unreadable. This error will be remedied shortly.”

So they acknowledge the issue (that some are having) in the 2.02 Release notes…. just now waiting on when the “the error will be remedied shortly’ part. 

About the "shortly": these release notes were published this morning exactly three months ago...

I was not having any issue with images saved Firmware 2.0.2. After updating, my M11 will corrupt some photos saved to the SD card, but will write the same file fine to internal memory. I have hd the problem occur on 256GB Lexar Gold UHS-II and OWC Atlas Ultra UHS-II SDXC cards. I have observed this can occur at the beginning of shooting if the camera has been just turned on or just woken from sleep. Usually only the first photo will be corrupt, and others will be fine. I have a work around that works for me: After turning the camera org or waking it up, I wait a few seconds and take time composing the first image before pressing the shutter release to capture. The delay seems to make a corrupt file on the SD card very unlikely. If I forget and start shooting very quickly, the first file is usually corrupted on the card. I have not tested this systematically to see if it's a repeatable error.I have not had any corrupt files at the end or in the middle of a sequence show in one go. They are always at the beginning of a sequence. That is repeatable.

The corrupt photos will be unreadable by either my M1 14" MBP laptop or my Mac Pro, both running Mac OS Monterey 12.7.3. I use Adobe Lightroom Classic (latest), which will fail to show a preview and fail to import the file, giving an error. The preview in Mac OS finder will also not display an image for these corrupt files. When this happens I have to download the good copy from my M11 internal memory and USB-C cable, and they are always uncorrupted.

Could it be that the M11 with Firmware 2.0.2 boots up the internal memory first, then the SDXC card, which may be slower to boot if it's larger in capacity? Perhaps if the card is still booting up / not fully mounted the first file is written fine to the internal memory but only partially to the SDXC card?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2024 at 10:03 AM, johnbuckley said:

I’m so sorry this is happening to you, but relieved to find it’s not just me. Perhaps Leica is aware of this? If not, Leica, please fix this issue.

Hello John

Did you contact Werner to advise? If so, his comments?

On 1/3/2024 at 4:00 PM, lct said:

Got SD card issues with 3 cameras in 10+ years. Sony A7s, Leica M240 and Leica M11 (early firmware). All fixed with SD card Formatter, don't ask me why. Does no harm to try it since it is free.

The last time I used Sd card Formatter was with an M1oM. I had no issues just wanted to see how it worked with a Sony Tough card 300/s. Well it totally corrupted my card so it seems and I had never had a problem before this and also never since as I DO NOT use Sd card Formetter-only format card in camera as it should do. Just my story.

3 minutes ago, algrove said:

The last time I used Sd card Formatter was with an M1oM. I had no issues just wanted to see how it worked with a Sony Tough card 300/s. Well it totally corrupted my card so it seems and I had never had a problem before this and also never since as I DO NOT use Sd card Formetter-only format card in camera as it should do. Just my story.

No problem since it works for you. For those interested, SD Card Formatter works perfectly with my Sony Tough card 300/s but i have nothing to sell to anybody 😎

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, algrove said:

Weird. I'm using SD Card Formatter (v5.0.2 for macOS) for all my cameras SD-cards: a mix of Sony G Tough 64GB and 128GB.

Only my CFexpress A/B cards were formatted in-camera.

Edited by Knorp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

23 minutes ago, Knorp said:

Weird. I'm using SD Card Formatter (v5.0.2 for macOS) for all my cameras SD-cards: a mix of Sony G Tough 64GB and 128GB.

Only my CFexpress A/B cards were formatted in-camera.

Are you saying you have not had any problems or issues with your workflow?

• 4 weeks later...