Leica M11 -purplish tint ???

DominoGE

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Everyone,

I purchased a new Leica M11 a little over a year ago and have been using it with a Leica Summicron 1:2/35 mm ASPH Lens.

I’ve observed that all the photos taken with this camera have a slightly purplish tint. Does anyone know what might be causing this coloration in the images?

Thank you very much for your insights.

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

There is a running thread on the subject. The problem is not in the camera but in the camera profile in your postprocessing program. Replace by a correct one or adjust it and the problem is gone 

Just wondering, has someone uploaded a correct profile that I could download and use through Lightroom? 
thanks!

vor 6 Stunden schrieb DominoGE:

Hello Everyone,

I purchased a new Leica M11 a little over a year ago and have been using it with a Leica Summicron 1:2/35 mm ASPH Lens.

I’ve observed that all the photos taken with this camera have a slightly purplish tint. Does anyone know what might be causing this coloration in the images?

Thank you very much for your insights.

The magenta cast of the M11 is well known. Many like it, many don't. Personally, it is too pronounced for me, I would prefer a little less magenta. But it's not a problem with the RAW converters, they only process information from the camera.

If you don't like the magenta cast, you can reduce the tint in Lightroom, I find values of +10 (instead of +20) a good starting point. Or you can change the calibration of the camera in Lightroom. See here:

More on the discussion about the Magenta Cast here:

vor 14 Minuten schrieb jaapv:

So make a complete camera profile using Xrite. Less than ten minutes work.

Basically Leica should push Adobe to correct this mismatch. Or provide a correct camera profile to upload in LR/ACR.

Please, stop blaming Adobe for this. Have a look at the JPGs out of camera, they show the same magenta cast! It is up to Leica to finally correct the white balance.

Edited by don daniel
  • Like 5

42 minutes ago, DominoGE said:

Pretty crazy that the finish is so magenta. Makes me want trade in my m11 back to a Q2. Is there an easy way to correct this automatically - so I don't always have to correct in post ?

Yes. It has been mentioned multiple times. Correct the camera profile in your postprocessing software. Make the corrected profile default.

• Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb DominoGE:

Pretty crazy that the finish is so magenta. Makes me want trade in my m11 back to a Q2. Is there an easy way to correct this automatically - so I don't always have to correct in post ?

No, in my opinion there is no easy way, because you would have to create different colour profiles for different lighting situations. The white balance of the M11 often works quite well in artificial light, but fails completely in daylight. Or can you correct different incorrect white balances all with the same profile? The solution must be for Leica to update the firmware of the M11 to provide a better white balance that does not produce such a magenta cast in daylight shots. Then you can save yourself the trouble of adjusting each image afterwards or creating an extra profile. Then you only have to correct the rarer cases where the white balance is off. This is exactly how it works with the M10-R, which is much better at white balancing. As soon as this is possible, the JPGs from the M11 are also directly usable - as a side effect, so to speak. 

• Like 3

How do I "correct the profile" in post process and make it default? I use adobe Lightroom.

Thank you very much for all the input.

What do you think about switching from m11 to q3. In the end I care about the finish and convenience. Having to adjust the image every time seems to defeat the purpose of having a nice camera like the m11

Edited by DominoGE

1 hour ago, don daniel said:

No, in my opinion there is no easy way, because you would have to create different colour profiles for different lighting situations. The white balance of the M11 often works quite well in artificial light, but fails completely in daylight. Or can you correct different incorrect white balances all with the same profile? The solution must be for Leica to update the firmware of the M11 to provide a better white balance that does not produce such a magenta cast in daylight shots. Then you can save yourself the trouble of adjusting each image afterwards or creating an extra profile. Then you only have to correct the rarer cases where the white balance is off. This is exactly how it works with the M10-R, which is much better at white balancing. As soon as this is possible, the JPGs from the M11 are also directly usable - as a side effect, so to speak. 

All Lightroom profiles can push the Tint value too high for M11 files, just depends on ambient lighting and colors captured in the file whether you see it or not. If you see magenta cast simply slide the TINT slider to a single digit value.