Any advise for a good flash for SL2-S ?

Osirix

I use an SF 60. I considered an SF 40, but the inability to zoom the flash head forced me to the 60. Also, FWIW, biggest Lecia fanboy you'll meet over here, but I'll admit, the SF 60 is one fragile piece of kit. I've had to send two back to Leica, one because the screen just altogether stopped working (~1 year old), and the second just last week (4 months old) because it just quit firing the main flash entirely. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hellobrandonscott said:

I use an SF 60. I considered an SF 40, but the inability to zoom the flash head forced me to the 60. Also, FWIW, biggest Lecia fanboy you'll meet over here, but I'll admit, the SF 60 is one fragile piece of kit. I've had to send two back to Leica, one because the screen just altogether stopped working (~1 year old), and the second just last week (4 months old) because it just quit firing the main flash entirely. 

My SF 40 has a zooming flash head, both manual and automatic. Feels pretty well built too and has been all over without any problems. Severely overpriced,though, albeit not as bad as the SF26🥸

I've been using a Godox Lux Junior on a Q2 and SL2-S.  It's small and has plenty of power for such a small unit.  I use it mostly as a fill flash at car shows in Manual Mode at 1/8 power.  For the price ($69) it's hard to beat and the batteries last a long time.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Camaro5 said:

I've been using a Godox Lux Junior on a Q2 and SL2-S.  It's small and has plenty of power for such a small unit.  I use it mostly as a fill flash at car shows in Manual Mode at 1/8 power.  For the price ($69) it's hard to beat and the batteries last a long time.  

I was thinking of getting one as a travel flash. I assume you are satisfied with yours?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, hellobrandonscott said:

That’s very interesting, thanks for sharing !

12 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

Forget that overpriced Leica junk, and get a Godox. Better built flashes from every point of view at 1/4 of the price of the Leica. But their flashes are manual only (no TTL except for off-camera flash)

I was watching this video on YT and at the end is making some comments on Godox flashes, I don’t know if you agree with him 

2 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

I was thinking of getting one as a travel flash. I assume you are satisfied with yours?

Yes, very much so.  At 1/8 to 1/4 power (with the diffuser) it's enough for the automotive stuff I do without being too bright.  The diffuser seems to even out the brightness.  It also has a low profile and looks good on the camera.  The diffuser was cheap but hard to find.  Had to get mine from China but it was only about $6.  

This is an indoor car show image ('33 Buick) shot on a Q2 with the flash.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

My SF 40 has a zooming flash head, both manual and automatic. Feels pretty well built too and has been all over without any problems. Severely overpriced,though, albeit not as bad as the SF26🥸

I should've clarified, you're right, it does have a zooming head, but you can't control the zoom. From my understanding, it zooms automatically based on the focal length mounted, correct?

No it can be controlled  by long pushes on the on/off button when set to Manual  The LED will change colour according to the focal length.  It will zoom automatically in A and TTL. .In general, unless you need the power, it is the better flash of the two. 

13 hours ago, Osirix said:

I was watching this video on YT and at the end is making some comments on Godox flashes, I don’t know if you agree with him 

Well yes, he’s using Godox flashes himself. A V1 for on camera flash. I have the same unit. It’s a bit bulky, but good.  Perhaps you may want to have a look at a smaller one for your Q3?

He also mentions the AD100, but that is more of a portable monolight

When I started my Leica journey with the M8.2 there were few flash options.  My choice was the Leica SF58.  This was a Metz rebadge with the Leica digital TTL dedication.  In all respects it was a powerful and professional-build flash unit that performed as well as the primitive early Leica TTL implementations permitted.  Unfortunately, when mounted it made the M unwieldy due to its size and weight.  I now have an SF40 which feels flimsy in comparison but is much more useable. With my SL bodies the SF58 is my choice as the larger, heavier, SL bodies do not have the balance issue with this flash.  While the Metz-built Leica SF58 and the later Leica SF64 are discontinued, I believe they are still the best option today for the SL shooter.

20 hours ago, Osirix said:

Thanks for your reply, any model you would advise ?

I use the b10x and the A2 with the connect remote which is so discreet, small and incredibly useful.  I also use the new Pro Connect with full auto. 

So far I have tried to avoid an on-camera flash.  I either mount the strobes ahead of time at the event or recruit an assistant with the A2 handheld 

Yes, I probably need the a10 on camera set up for more discreet versatility at events and receptions, but I simply prefer the results from the a2 with small clic softbox more.  They carry well everywhere also. 

I really enjoy using the connect on the M11 as well.  That is a nifty trick. 

This image in a dark nightclub would not have been possible without the A2.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2