Summilux 35 ASPH (Pre FLE) on film

poli

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

Lately I hardly shoot digital and because of that sometimes it is very nice to have an extra stop of light. I do own a summicron 35 (asph, brass) and a summilux pre asph v2. I like the summilux, but I dislike the 1mtr focus limit. I keep wondering how the pre fle will be on film. Definitely lighter than my summicron 35...

Would love to hear some experiences with the Pre FLE on film? I often shoot BW. Would love to see some examples! :)

Cheers,

Paul

On 5/7/2023 at 12:50 AM, poli said:

Hi All,

Lately I hardly shoot digital and because of that sometimes it is very nice to have an extra stop of light. I do own a summicron 35 (asph, brass) and a summilux pre asph v2. I like the summilux, but I dislike the 1mtr focus limit. I keep wondering how the pre fle will be on film. Definitely lighter than my summicron 35...

Would love to hear some experiences with the Pre FLE on film? I often shoot BW. Would love to see some examples! :)

Cheers,

Paul

Hi paul, 

is the pre FLE u referred to pre asph? If it is, i have the steel rim reissue with a 1 mtr MFD and i believe it’s closest to pre asph v2

i shot films and digital with this lens as it’s compact form factor is decisive, and love it on films since its rendering is most unique too

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

The Summilux-M 35 pre-asph v2 is mounted on my MP or M4. I have posted a number of photos here. I can't now quickly pick all of them, but these are recent ones.
MP, Portra 400

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Pre FLE was my first Leica lens, and to this day, I still think it's one of the best. The only lens that managed to take its place was the 35AA, and they are extremely similar. I think that 95% of the people can't tell the difference, and the 5% that can can't on 95% of the pictures. The bokeh sometimes is a bit more interesting on the 35AA but globaly, the main difference on film is that the lines seems a bit more gentle and thiner. The Pre FLE is the leica lens with the most value in my opinion. I never was bothered by any FS on digital, and I've owned at least 5 copies, so needless to say it's a non issue on film. 

Get that lens, it's a real masterpiece. The photos are so much more beautiful than the FLE. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I shoot only B&W film now, and have owned this lens twice over the last 20+ years.  To my eye, this lens makes a lot of sense with color film, but I've never been a big fan of asphericals for B&W.  Don't get me wrong, a good lens, capable of great pictures, as are so many lenses out there, but for B&W film I've always gravitated toward the older optics, or modern renditions of the old lenses (e.g., single coated 35/1.4 Nokton, Light Lens Lab).  In fact, I recently sold my last copy of this lens, keeping instead the pre-aspherical Summilux (plus many other lenses in this focal length).  It is a physically bigger lens too.  But that's just me, maybe you like the modern look on B&W film.  Love fast lenses though; that extra stop of speed can give you some DOF creativity, and the pre-fle Summilux can be used at f/1.4 w/o thinking/learning/caution.   

Edited by TheBestSLIsALeicaflex
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2