Show us your Summilux-M 75mm f/1.4 shots wide open

Milan_S

11 minutes ago, BrianP said:

snip >> with  parts made in Canada at ALCAN. In some cases body parts where ex ALCAN and had made in Canada engraved on them.Leica made alteration to the mount which reduced the weight by 40 grams so the lens was now 560 instead of 600 grams << snip

One correction, ALCAN is an acronym for Aluminium Canada.  The raw materials may have been produced by ALCAN but the finished lens parts to which you refer to were made by ELCAN which stands for Ernst Leitz Canada.

10 hours ago, Kim Dahl said:

Hey. May I ask what is the fair price of 75 summilux?

As an addition to my previous post i would reccomend that if you are offered a copy which meets your particular requirement just buy it. Prices don’t usually drop. I paid £1100 about 12 years ago for a 50mm F1 noctilux last version. 75mm Sumilux where around the same cost.While Leica are now charging around 10k £ for these lenses in the latest versions they are as good as money in a bank.

1 hour ago, BrianP said:

as good as money in a bank

Much better. If you are able to keep it as mint as it is, which is easier with this 75 than with the Summicron 35 iv, which is more prone to wear but is in 10 years nearly doubled in price.

Edited by otto.f
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, BrianP said:

Leica store Manchester are a family business and are highly reccomended ,not just for the way they run the business but for the accumulate knowledge that Ben,Rick,Steve and David have.

Couldn't agree more, I have had excellent service from them. Not the cheapest, but knowledgeable and trustworthy.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This lens is specially challenging on film with live subjects. From a roll of 36 exposures, got just a handful good enough.

Roberto Buzzini - Cinema Puro

Leica MP & Summilux-M 75mm, Ilford XP2 Super

• Like 8

10 hours ago, james.liam said:

Maybe the RF needs adjustment? 
I have an M6 0.85 and focus accuracy is superior to 0.72 magnification.  

Thanks, but I do not think so. Focus is spot on with static subjects.

Roberto Buzzini - Cinema Puro

BTW, my MP is 0.85x.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, otto.f said:

What did you focus on here?

I focused the gentleman's right eye. He moved around quite a bit in a badly lit room, therefore I had problem not only with focus, but also motion blur.

With digital I could use much higher shutter speeds.

• Like 1

M10 with 75mm Summilux

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

10 hours ago, evikne said:

M10 with 75mm Summilux

Hi- with M10 did you use the rangefinder or evf?

Before you sent your lens in, at what distances did you check for back focus? Thanks- looks like perfect focus now 😬

2 hours ago, lawman said:

Hi- with M10 did you use the rangefinder or evf?

Before you sent your lens in, at what distances did you check for back focus? Thanks- looks like perfect focus now 😬

I always use the rangefinder only with all my lenses. Before the service, I tested the lens with my Spyder Lenscal at a normal portrait distance (2–3 m), but the focus didn't even hit the ruler. Instead it focused somewhere behind. At longer distances the back focusing increased even more, maybe 1 m at 10 m focus distance. Not very reliable, in other words. 😉

M10 with 75mm Summilux

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17

45 minutes ago, evikne said:

M10 with 75mm Summilux

Colors, composition, seeing it... great. And then the drawing of the 75lux... marvellous! Could be blown up big

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, otto.f said:

Colors, composition, seeing it... great. And then the drawing of the 75lux... marvellous! Could be blown up big

Thanks! I think that without the rendering of the 75mm Summilux, this wouldn't have been any image at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evikne said:

Thanks! I think that without the rendering of the 75mm Summilux, this wouldn't have been any image at all.

I agree. This is about knowing your lens, or learning to know your lens. And this is why I disagree so much with the clichee: (buying another lens or camera) “won’t make me a better photographer”

4 hours ago, evikne said:

You make some gorgeous images with your camera and lenses so this is not criticism directed a you, more of a general observation.  I own the Summilux M 75mm so fully agree the lens has very nice transition between focus and out of focus areas (provided examples to the thread), but are we not giving lenses like this mythical qualities? 

i was making similar images (look similar to me on the large computer screen) with most recent Nikon Z 24mm f1.8 lens on the full frame sensor (Z7), this being Leica forum  it is not within the rules to post such image.

Sure thing, there would be obvious difference in field flatness between 24mm and 75mm lenses but focus/out of focus aesthetics is becoming discipline on its own and almost any lens, especially fast one can produce image with sharp background and blurry background all depending on the background and the distance between the camera and subject in focus.  I always thought fast lenses were made to deal with the problem of slow film and dim light.