Show us your Summilux-M 75mm f/1.4 shots wide open

Milan_S

Amber

M-P w/Summilux-M 75.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

On 12/20/2019 at 3:41 PM, Milan_S said:

In praise of this wonderful portrait lens. It's a lens i will never part with, the Noctilux-M 75mm f1.25 is superior in specs, the 75mm Summilux has a wonderful creamy bokeh and glow but is very sharp stopped down. One of Walter Mandler's favorite lens designs. 

Dandy Christmas

M246 with 75mm Summilux f1.4

#milanswolfs

I have been looking for a 75mm Summilux for a long time. I wanted one in perfect condition but I did not want to play crazy money. The day before you wrote this post I called into my local Leica store in manchester to wish them a happy Christmas and they had just taken one in perfect condition. One of the last ones produced in Canada in mint condition in every way. Did a bit of “uming”and “aring”as we say in the north and took the lens home.Happy Christmas to me. 

Hair tie – M10 w/75mm Summilux

• Like 16

Balancing – M10 w/75mm Summilux

• Like 19

May I contribute one from the 75's virtually identical twin, the Summilux-R 80, on the M10? I have had both, currently the 75, and I really wouldn't like to try to tell the results apart. They are both wonderful - maybe not my most-used lenses, but certainly my favourites. I have other lenses which are good for portraiture - an old 90/2, a Jupiter 85/2, a 135/4 - but they hardly ever get used; one of these two is really all you need.

• Like 14

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Back to the 75, in non-portrait mode on the Monochrom 1.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Musotographer said:

May I contribute one from the 75's virtually identical twin, the Summilux-R 80, on the M10? I have had both, currently the 75, and I really wouldn't like to try to tell the results apart. They are both wonderful - maybe not my most-used lenses, but certainly my favourites. I have other lenses which are good for portraiture - an old 90/2, a Jupiter 85/2, a 135/4 - but they hardly ever get used; one of these two is really all you need.

From what I’ve seen the 75 is a tad sharper wide open but the OOF blur a little less smooth than the 80. 

BTW, if you look at the optical diagrams they’re not “identical twins” but rather, “kissing cousins”. IIRC, the R has more aperture blades accounting for the softer bokeh. 

One from the 75 Lux on Lumix S1 - happy christmas everyone.

• Like 8

Haircut time - M10 + 75 Lux

• Like 17

1 hour ago, james.liam said:

From what I’ve seen the 75 is a tad sharper wide open but the OOF blur a little less smooth than the 80. 

BTW, if you look at the optical diagrams they’re not “identical twins” but rather, “kissing cousins”. IIRC, the R has more aperture blades accounting for the softer bokeh. 

Ah, I stand corrected, thank you - I had read that they are optically the same, and as someone with zero scientific instincts (I was the despair of the physics master at school!) I just took that on trust.

Given that there are very slight difference between the two lenses perhaps in a perfect world one should have a copy of each..... 😀

Edited by Musotographer
  • Haha 1

Lindey

M-P w/Summilux-M 75.

• Like 18

34 minutes ago, Musotographer said:

Ah, I stand corrected, thank you - I had read that they are optically the same, and as someone with zero scientific instincts (I was the despair of the physics master at school!) I just took that on trust.

Given that there are very slight difference between the two lenses perhaps in a perfect world one should have a copy of each..... 😀

Not to worry. As lens maven Erwin Puts (normally a very picky person about small differences in lenses) says, in jointly reviewing the 75 and 80 f/1.4s in his Leica Lens Compendium:

"We should realize however that these differences, while measurable, will probably be lost in everyday picture taking."

1 hour ago, adan said:

Not to worry. As lens maven Erwin Puts (normally a very picky person about small differences in lenses) says, in jointly reviewing the 75 and 80 f/1.4s in his Leica Lens Compendium:

"We should realize however that these differences, while measurable, will probably be lost in everyday picture taking."

Phew - quel relief! - thank you Andy.  I'd have been worrying about that all over Christmas....... 😀

Edited by Musotographer

On 12/22/2019 at 2:44 PM, BrianP said:

I have been looking for a 75mm Summilux for a long time. I wanted one in perfect condition but I did not want to play crazy money. The day before you wrote this post I called into my local Leica store in manchester to wish them a happy Christmas and they had just taken one in perfect condition. One of the last ones produced in Canada in mint condition in every way. Did a bit of “uming”and “aring”as we say in the north and took the lens home.Happy Christmas to me. 

Hey. May I ask what is the fair price of 75 summilux?

Edited by Kim Dahl

4 hours ago, Kim Dahl said:

Recall, it was manufactured with the exact same optical formula for over 25 years (1980 until ~2007) thus, if condition held to be similar, prices are version & age-dependent.

From what I've seen watching them for some time, about US$2700-3000 for the very earliest Canadian version without a built-in hood (11814), later Canadian with built in hood (11815) $3000-4000 and the final German version (11810) $4,500-5,500. Popflash in LA has been sitting on one of the final German models for almost a year at $5800 so I'm pretty confident about the realistic high-end estimate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jrp said:

Very thorough comparison. Having owned own three 75’s and one 80 however, I’m convinced that these lenses are varying quite a lot per individual copy. Philip’s language is also a bit sweeping: he calls OOF area’s of his 75 a bit harsh. I would call the OOF area’s of his 80 a bit soft and undefined. So it’s really a matter of taste too, apart from individual differences between copies. If a copy looks worth $5800,= at the outside, it does not necessarily mean that it has its focus at the right place in your M, or that it’s focus shift is the least disturbing possible. My third 75 that I own now has a sharpness and selectivity in focus that I never held possible for this lens in general and it’s just from 1983, Canada, nothing highbrow. I paid 2500€ for it about 5 years ago.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Kim Dahl said:

Condition is all important as with most things.I wanted the 2nd version which was made in Canada . The 3rd version was assembled in Germany with  parts made in Canada at ALCAN. In some cases body parts where ex ALCAN and had made in Canada engraved on them.Leica made alteration to the mount which reduced the weight by 40 grams so the lens was now 560 instead of 600 grams.Asking prices are from £2500 to £4300 , and vary considerably depending on condition. At the lower end factor in a visit to Leica for a CLA . 6 bit coding is not necessary but if it has to go to Leica anyway pos worth having done.Mine looks unused,with very smooth focusing and strong click stops on the aperture ring.I paid Less than the top figure. Worth bearing in mind that these lenses are unlikelly to go down in price.Its modern day replacement the 75 Noctilux is £10250 in the UK and is a lot bigger,heavier and possibly inferior as a portrait lens.I had a budget of £3500 to £4000 for a lens which had to be in perfect condition so I am happy as my purchase met all my requirements.I have dealt for over 40 years with the same Leica dealer for most of my requirements and I find this sort of customer relationship works very well for me at least,good advice,great service and it’s nice to buy from friends.

ps Don’t forget the all important test as like many of the older lens designs performance can vary on a modern digital camera.

Leica store Manchester are a family business and are highly reccomended ,not just for the way they run the business but for the accumulate knowledge that Ben,Rick,Steve and David have.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, BrianP said:

75 Noctilux is £10250 in the UK and is a lot bigger,heavier and possibly inferior as a portrait lens

But of course superior for showing off

4 minutes ago, BrianP said:

have dealt for over 40 years with the same Leica dealer

+1 This is for this lens almost a necessary condition in my opinion.