Monochrom 1 shots -post them here !

esquire53

Another low light situation: ISO 2500, which seems to very manageable in what I now think of as grain, rather than noise.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

Carsten, the first one in particular demonstrates some impressive technique (1/24 using a 90). Did you filter either lens?

No filter. For landscape, I use a filter in 90%, but for a natural looking portrait I find the unfiltered results already nice in spectral response. Art effects are another story

BTW, 1/24 was really an exception. With the 90, I prefer 1/180 or even 1/250 for critical sharpness (but, as my wife said correctly: portraits dont need to be so ultra sharp...). I sacrificed exp for f:4 because f:2 so close is extremely shallow DOF

Carsten

Another low light situation: ISO 2500, which seems to very manageable in what I now think of as grain, rather than noise.

Beautiful shot.

Re grain: I give you right, the grain looks very nice, you only lose some fine detail. I find even ISO 3200 usable for landscape, but have some nice shots @ ISO 10.000 I would have missed otherwise

Carsten

The moment the MM has been announced I have been hunting one ever since.

It was long and difficult, to get one, but finally, I had my first hour with my very own M Mono this morning.

My first impression after shooting exclusively B&W for more than two years with the M8.2 and M9 - the M Mono is very, very different and incredibly so. Some months of learning are ahead now, to get a handle on using this camera. /[ End of quote]

Congratulations Dirk, thanks for sharing ! Enjoy !!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am just making a bunch of small (20 in) prints to show at a LeicaAkademie I am leading this week in Toronto, and it's obvious that the MM is noticeably ahead of the M9 in B/W. The increased resolution is there, and it seems to give more body to the print. This probably won't look anything in a jpeg, but a simple painted sign (on a curved column) has the feel of a contact print. I am knocked out by this camera.

I'm curious about the prints. I read that you're using an Epson 4900 and Ilford Gold Fibre; are you using the standard Epson inks with Epson Advanced Black and White mode? How do you soft-proof? Unlike with standard color management, for black and white I've been unable to set up a soft-proofing profile that accurately shows on screen what the print will look like.

I'm curious about the prints. I read that you're using an Epson 4900 and Ilford Gold Fibre; are you using the standard Epson inks with Epson Advanced Black and White mode? How do you soft-proof? Unlike with standard color management, for black and white I've been unable to set up a soft-proofing profile that accurately shows on screen what the print will look like.

I don't soft-proof. My screen is calibrated, and in terms of light levels shows me what I am going to get. Don't use the Advanced Black and White either, though I am going to play with it. I use the Ilford profile, which actually may fairly useless in BW. I just make the print, and if it doesn't feel right, make another. Standard Epson inks. I looked into John Cone's inks and decided I didn't want to go. Did some big panoramas a few years ago with the piezography inks, and found permanence issues -- darks turning blue quite quickly, and an instant yellowing of the hahnemuhl paper in a couple of weeks at the framers. This whole subject is fraught, and it is extraordinarily hard to get real information about longevity. For the larger 36 inch prints I work with a really good printer at a custom lab, and he goes through a lot more steps than I do, but what I am asking him to do is to make a bigger but similar print to the one I give him as a guide. The bigger ones are on Hahnemuhl photo rag. This probably isn't too helpful.

I love this - tremendous atmosphere.

Visited my old college (King's Cambridge). I had to get my college card from the development office housed in the Gibbs Building; outside the office was this scene with a portrait of Alan Turing. No attempt to modernise the place! MM, 35/1.4, light yellow filter, a little cropping, otherwise just LR4's export filtering. ISO 5000 and the noise is apparent at 100% but apt for this image.
  • Like 1

Berlin Ubahn Elmarit V4 28 ISO 2500

• Like 2

I don't soft-proof. My screen is calibrated, and in terms of light levels shows me what I am going to get. Don't use the Advanced Black and White either, though I am going to play with it. I use the Ilford profile, which actually may fairly useless in BW. I just make the print, and if it doesn't feel right, make another. Standard Epson inks. I looked into John Cone's inks and decided I didn't want to go. Did some big panoramas a few years ago with the piezography inks, and found permanence issues -- darks turning blue quite quickly, and an instant yellowing of the hahnemuhl paper in a couple of weeks at the framers. This whole subject is fraught, and it is extraordinarily hard to get real information about longevity. For the larger 36 inch prints I work with a really good printer at a custom lab, and he goes through a lot more steps than I do, but what I am asking him to do is to make a bigger but similar print to the one I give him as a guide. The bigger ones are on Hahnemuhl photo rag. This probably isn't too helpful.

Thanks, that was quite helpful. My screen is calibrated and is an Eizo, so pretty accurate, yet when using Advanced B&W I find a huge difference between what I see and the prints. I'll have to play around with printing without Advanced B&W. I tested most of the fiber papers a few years ago and settled on Epson Exhibition Fiber, though Ilford 's Silk wasn't out yet (I have a sample on its way from Ilford and will try it). I used Hahnemuehle Fine Art Baryta for a while until I ran into inconsistencies from batch to batch, which Hahnemuehle claimed were within their limits of tolerance.

I've seen comparisons of Cone inks to Epson inks and can't discern any difference.

--Andrew

Andrew, I get the impression that you really have to do the Vermont workshop to "get" Cone's system. I have a photographer friend in Miami, Randal Levenson, who is a formidable printer and has three large dedicated Epson to various tonings of Cone. I am going down to have fun with all this in early December.

Andrew, I get the impression that you really have to do the Vermont workshop to "get" Cone's system. I have a photographer friend in Miami, Randal Levenson, who is a formidable printer and has three large dedicated Epson to various tonings of Cone. I am going down to have fun with all this in early December.

I'll be interested to know what you conclude after that!

--Andrew

ran to catch up and get into position for one fast shot..Lexington Avenue 58th Street NYC

sorry about the ugly watermark...working on learning how to make it smaller,etc..

Edited by Avatar
  • Like 2

Sixties Modernism, Berlin, last week

• Like 2

… some from this morning with uncoated 3.5cm Elmar and collapsible Summicron 50mm:

8105619425_dc12c95748_c.jpg

tai chi - both hands 2 by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

8105633536_f6580b9b04_c.jpg

portrait - man with iPod by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

8105569328_0f66ee8e22_c.jpg

overloading a truck - horizontal by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

8105537945_7ac6f7674a_c.jpg

security trucks and scooters by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

• Like 13