Leica Q2 images, Post them here !

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/20/2019 at 3:08 PM, Siriusone59 said:

Ok, can't someone show a little mercy for those few of us that have decided not to upgrade at this time and post a bad shot from a Q2?  These photos are all fantastic! 

I'm not sure I entirely agree--even though I probably will upgrade eventually.

I've been struggling with image quality of the Q2. Some of these photos, where the main subject is front and center, seem to me actually to have too much "pop." I realize that sounds absurd, given that Leica (and Zeiss) is famous for the "pop." Pop allows a photograph to produce on a two-dimensional plane a three-dimensional projection. The human brain through its eye portal also produces three dimensionality, but it fully takes aware of what, in camera terms, is the bokeh (psychologically, rather than physiologically, because background to the eye technically if miraculously is in complete focus).

The larger Q2 sensor is so good, so highly resolved, that when I stare at a lot of these photos, I sense the main subject not just in a separate dimension from background, as is the case for what the mind/eye produces, but really in a completely separate psychological sphere. It just seems too digitized, too "unnatural" to me.

I know it's just me. We all have our different favorite lenses (and favorite film), and I will get used to this, as we all get used to whatever's new. But I do sense that as Leica adapts this larger sensor, we are going further down a particular path aesthetically. It's not just because of sheer perversion that many of our best photographers on this site still shoot film.

• Like 4

The blues have been changed to protect the innocents...I mean bump the colours

Q2 - Remain March by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Edited by dancook
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, bags27 said:

I've been struggling with image quality of the Q2. Some of these photos, where the main subject is front and center, seem to me actually to have too much "pop." I realize that sounds absurd, given that Leica (and Zeiss) is famous for the "pop." Pop allows a photograph to produce on a two-dimensional plane a three-dimensional projection. The human brain through its eye portal also produces three dimensionality, but it fully takes aware of what, in camera terms, is the bokeh (psychologically, rather than physiologically, because background to the eye technically if miraculously is in complete focus).

The larger Q2 sensor is so good, so highly resolved, that when I stare at a lot of these photos, I sense the main subject not just in a separate dimension from background, as is the case for what the mind/eye produces, but really in a completely separate psychological sphere. It just seems too digitized, too "unnatural" to me.

I know it's just me. We all have our different favorite lenses (and favorite film), and I will get used to this, as we all get used to whatever's new. But I do sense that as Leica adapts this larger sensor, we are going further down a particular path aesthetically. It's not just because of sheer perversion that many of our best photographers on this site still shoot film.

So you are saying the Q2 is capable of producing 4-dimensional images? 😀

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bags27 said:

Actually I was referring to the composition, colors and textures more that the technical qualities of the Q2 images. I believe that those that have posted really put a lot of effort into their work.  Maybe holding a Leica forces the user to take better photos and a new Leica may have more of that power. 😎

That said, I personally couldn't tell if they were shot with a 40+mp or a 6 mp on this screen but I agree with you about the "pop" they do have that.

As for the digital seeming unnatural, I've noticed that for years but have become used to it...to me it can almost be compared to the difference between vinyl records and cds.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Siriusone59 said:

Actually I was referring to the composition, colors and textures more that the technical qualities of the Q2 images. I believe that those that have posted really put a lot of effort into their work.  Maybe holding a Leica forces the user to take better photos and a new Leica may have more of that power. 😎

That said, I personally couldn't tell if they were shot with a 40+mp or a 6 mp on this screen but I agree with you about the "pop" they do have that.

As for the digital seeming unnatural, I've noticed that for years but have become used to it...to me it can almost be compared to the difference between vinyl records and cds.

Thanks for this! 

I know it sounds so superficial, but I do believe that Leica inspires better photography. The easy answer is: if you've spent that much money, you better turn out good photos. But I think it really is because of the Leica philosophy, of less is more. 

And yes, the analogy between digital and analogue music is quite apt.

• Like 4

"Kelp Totem" sculpture by Lin McJunkin
La Conner, Washington

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Hotel Planter, 1907
La Conner, Washington
Leica Q2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

This is some random stuff

Q2 - Random by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

This one is ISO 8000 pushed 1.5 stops

• Like 14

50 minutes ago, dancook said:

This is some random stuff

This one is ISO 8000 pushed 1.5 stops

Dan,  Even your “random” shots are fantastic.  I especially like your street work—thanks so much for sharing!

• Like 3

Lovely shots, Dan - and good to see the high ISO test shots on your Flickr page.

Do you see any banding at high ISOs in low light conditions? I see the grain, which looks nicely organic, but on my Q1 I will often see banding as well. Probably my biggest bugbear with the Q1, as I like shooting in low light more than anything...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sulis said:

Lovely shots, Dan - and good to see the high ISO test shots on your Flickr page.

Do you see any banding at high ISOs in low light conditions? I see the grain, which looks nicely organic, but on my Q1 I will often see banding as well. Probably my biggest bugbear with the Q1, as I like shooting in low light more than anything...

Thanks, not seen any banding from the Q2

• Like 1

• jaapv changed the title to Leica Q2 images, Post them here !
  • LUF Admin unpinned and pinned this topic
  • jaapv pinned this topic
  • LUF Admin unpinned this topic