Monochrom 1 shots -post them here !

esquire53

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is one is a bit trickier that it looks, in that I had to use ISO 4000 to be able to handhold easily.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

This is one I could never have done with M9. ISO 2500. 1 250/th

• Like 3

The last one for the moment. Shot in the park of St. Cloud. ISO 640

• Like 1

Guest WPalank
William, I am not sure you actually need that yellow filter.

Experimentation my friend. I got a yellow-green and finally a yellow-orange today. Rather than read threads about filters throwing off the focus, I'm just trying to find what works (or doesn't) on my own.

I never shot B&W film, let alone with color contrast filters in front of the lens.

• Like 3

If you haven't shot black and white before, it is probably not a bad idea to see what the camera can on its own. I have worked with black and white for 40 years and only occasionally have I felt the need for filters. The yellow in your prints seems to blow out the highlights. The pictures look like prints make on a photocopier. Experiment after you have figured what this very sophisticated camera can do on its own.

On the Berlin subway. Non-aggressive camera. ISO 2500 at 90th. No aperture information.,

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The moment the MM has been announced I have been hunting one ever since.

It was long and difficult, to get one, but finally, I had my first hour with my very own M Mono this morning.

My first impression after shooting exclusively B&W for more than two years with the M8.2 and M9 - the M Mono is very, very different and incredibly so. Some months of learning are ahead now, to get a handle on using this camera.

This morning in Shanghai:

8092705311_631819040b_c.jpg

M Monochrom - first shots - portrait - two generations by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

8092703943_c93a4e0242_c.jpg

M Monochrom - first shots - womens hands by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

8092703543_e75c0b70e6_c.jpg

M Monochrom - first shots - worker preparing a tool handle by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

8092698373_f10f0fec87_c.jpg

M Monochrom - first shots - man walking dog meeting another man by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

• Like 13

Guest WPalank
If you haven't shot black and white before, it is probably not a bad idea to see what the camera can on its own. I have worked with black and white for 40 years and only occasionally have I felt the need for filters. The yellow in your prints seems to blow out the highlights. The pictures look like prints make on a photocopier. Experiment after you have figured what this very sophisticated camera can do on its own.

Not to get into it with you. What you see in my images is exactly what I was after. They show the mood of the street, what I felt that day. 40 yearsas a photographer or not, your image shown above is flat, lifeless, uninteresting. The epitome of why people out there are saying the camera produces only very grey monochromatic imagesHermes saddle in a stairwell, hohum. Any image of yours on any of the Leica sites?

Anyway, I like my images to push the outer limits of shadow and highlight.

Wow handheld. My suggestion to you, M 9 and just hi the desaturated button. Why even have the camera.

Nik Software has me inboard as a presenter. I would be happy to help you with the software.

I am just making a bunch of small (20 in) prints to show at a LeicaAkademie I am leading this week in Toronto, and it's obvious that the MM is noticeably ahead of the M9 in B/W. The increased resolution is there, and it seems to give more body to the print. This probably won't look anything in a jpeg, but a simple painted sign (on a curved column) has the feel of a contact print. I am knocked out by this camera.

• Like 7

Guest WPalank

Ian, I love it. Please tell us (or at least me) how you achieved the effect.

You've saved me. I bought this $8000 camera, doesn't even have a friggin' Red Dot, and all I could get out of it was a bloody monochrome image. ;)

• Like 2

Ian, I love it. Please tell us (or at least me) how you achieved the effect.

William, I'd been itching to give this a go since I heard about the Monochrom. The attempt today was just a bit of a test to see how easy or difficult it is to create colour from true monochrome. I took three shots on a tripod as quickly in succession as possible (it was breezy and the clouds were moving noticeably and the trees and grasses were swaying all over the place). I used three cheap filters – red, blue and (a slightly insipid) green. Once you have the three shots all you need to do is drop them into the channels of a normal RGB Photoshop file and then play around with the colours to make the combined RGB image look vaguely realistic. If I do it again I'll take a heavier tripod and shoot on a less windy day to get a better registration between the channels.

I don't think I'll be selling my M9-P yet.;)

8094141535_d00ee9138f_c.jpg

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 4

MM and Nocti 1.0, three shots stitched for a panoramic (B+W Yellow-Green filter)

8093590688_9db7f3d4a8_c.jpg

Carsten

Flickr

Carsten, it's a pity, this photographic themed forum here is so image hostile.

This post mark sized thumbnail really doesn't justice to your photos.

These look simply beautiful - a lot like medium format digital. I love it!

Dirk, lovely images. What lens(es)?

Thanks - I went with a Konica 35/2 UC-Hexanon LTM for the old ladies hands and with a Voigtländer 75/2.5 Color Heliar for the rest.

• Like 2

William, I'd been itching to give this a go since I heard about the Monochrom. The attempt today was just a bit of a test to see how easy or difficult it is to create colour from true monochrome. I took three shots on a tripod as quickly in succession as possible (it was breezy and the clouds were moving noticeably and the trees and grasses were swaying all over the place). I used three cheap filters – red, blue and (a slightly insipid) green. Once you have the three shots all you need to do is drop them into the channels of a normal RGB Photoshop file and then play around with the colours to make the combined RGB image look vaguely realistic. If I do it again I'll take a heavier tripod and shoot on a less windy day to get a better registration between the channels.

I don't think I'll be selling my M9-P yet.;)

8094141535_d00ee9138f_c.jpg

Thank you for the shots. That's what I was thinking about in:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/238357-right-firmware-without-ir-filter-m9m.html

(...) drop them into the channels of a normal RGB Photoshop file and then play around with the colours to make the combined RGB image look vaguely realistic.(...)

Ian - I love it.

Couldn't you take one shot of a uniform white rectangle through each of your color filters? I think that would help in coloring the color separated shots.

• Like 1

It was almost too dark, 1/24 sec handheld with MM and the 90AA, ISO 10.000, f:4

8096583803_383b3b6f4f_c.jpg

MM and 35Lux, 1/500 sec f:1.4 ISO 320, pushed 2 stops (had to underexpose because of bright reflections LHS and backlight)

8096591780_545eaa5d2b_c.jpg

(both were resized to 1050, but shown here in 800. Larger here)

Carsten

• Like 11

• jaapv changed the title to Monochrom 1 shots -post them here !
  • LUF Admin unpinned this topic
  • jaapv pinned this topic