Reissue 35mm Summilux Pre-Asph V1 Steel Rim

darylgo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I haven’t picked up my copy yet, so I can’t add any specifics.  Often times filters make caps and hoods less than perfect, I leave them in the box and add others. For this lens, I’ll add a filter and put an old Contax G lens hood onto the filter. The silver won’t match but it’ll keep it small.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SJH said:

Hi All - my lens arrived today and overall I'm delighted with it so far. However, my apologies if this has been covered but a few quirks:

1. If you fit a protection filter (I've used the B+W 007 Titanium which goes well with the lens) you can use the screw in hood but not the OLLUX?
2. How do you actually fit the OLLUX and get it off, no simple instructions anywhere and I don't want to 'force it'. There doesn't seem to be markers on the OLLUX hood to align the hood recess points with the lens rim. I'm I right in that getting it off is just a twist and pull?
3. If you fit a 46mm filter to the lens then the included lens cap will just fall off?
4. Fitting either hood means you can't use the included lens cap?

Many thanks 

I am also wondering about using filters with the two new hoods.
Can the Ollux hood attach if the lens has a filter?
Is there an external 46mm thread on the circular hood or it opens in two like the 35mm lux v2’s?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fred Miranda said:

I am also wondering about using filters with the two new hoods.
Can the Ollux hood attach if the lens has a filter?
Is there an external 46mm thread on the circular hood or it opens in two like the 35mm lux v2’s?

Yes it's something that isn't covered in any of the reviews and there are no simple instructions from Leica on fitting the OLLUX hood properly without damaging it for example.

Has anyone found anything or understands the ins and outs of both hoods - @jonoslack?

42 minutes ago, SJH said:

Yes it's something that isn't covered in any of the reviews and there are no simple instructions from Leica on fitting the OLLUX hood properly without damaging it for example.

Has anyone found anything or understands the ins and outs of both hoods - @jonoslack?

The original one snaps into place in the lens, so you just push it in until it locks. Then to remove it you unscrew it to the side and push it towards your body. I’m assuming this uses the same mechanism. I could also use filters and OLLUX with no problems, so I assume it’s the same for the remake. Give it a try and let us know 

Edited by shirubadanieru
  • Like 1

Thanks both for the replies above and in summary:

1. Yes all good with the vented hood, that works with an E46 filter i.e. you can screw the hood onto the fitted filter. The supplied lens cap cannot be used in this configuration of course.
2. If you fit a filter (even a thin one like the B+W 007 clear) then the supplied lens cap will just fall off, you'd need to purchase a lens cap, as per the E46 version Leica have on their website under accessories, if you want to use a lens cap in this configuration.
3. With the OLLUX 12487 the hood has small plastic lugs that fit into small recesses on the lens rim. However, there are no actual marks on the lens hood to show where to align them and which way to push and twist on and then conversely to twist and pull off. I haven't forced anything but the plastic lugs don't appear to be very strong and I think they will easily be damaged if you repeatably force it the 'wrong way' but of course none of us seem to know the right way!!
4. Given point 3 above if you then fit a filter (again even very thin ones) the OLLUX 12487 cannot use the 'male and female' lugs to secure the lens hood to the lens rim as there is too big a gap to click into place without damaging the hood.

Unless someone corrects me therefore please note that you cannot use the OLLUX 12487 with a filter of any type (even a clear protection filter) and if you do fit a filter only then the supplied lens cap will not stay in place.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Regarding 12487. the hood, one can push/snap on to lens, no worry---then you turn hood so 2tabs engages into cut out  two  indentations on rim of lens, you can hear a+click due to hood engagement.

to disengage just turn counterclockwise and pull it out.

I am not sure tabs are plastic or some other light metal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shirubadanieru said:

OLLUX hood has a small cut in the middle, that snaps aligned with the red dot on the lens. That should do it. To remove it simply rotate and pull.

Thank you and yes on the Leica website it has a shot of the new lens with the OLLUX fitted this way which I used for reference. I think it's clear now though that you can't actually use a filter with the OLLLUX 12487 as it creates too big a gap to push the hood on so that it 'clicks' in place. It's probably one of the reasons that the vented hood is in the box to!!

The small number of reviews on YouTube seem to all be using the vented hood for this practical reason.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SJH said:

Thank you and yes on the Leica website it has a shot of the new lens with the OLLUX fitted this way which I used for reference. I think it's clear now though that you can't actually use a filter with the OLLLUX 12487 as it creates too big a gap to push the hood on so that it 'clicks' in place. It's probably one of the reasons that the vented hood is in the box to!!

The small number of reviews on YouTube seem to all be using the vented hood for this practical reason.

Thats too bad…i love that hood but def need a filter in my lens to protect the front elements

• Like 2

10 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Thats too bad…i love that hood but def need a filter in my lens to protect the front elements

I can't see a way round this and I checked again this morning but even with a very thin B+W filter the OLLUX hood cannot 'clip' into place. 

Equally if you just use a filter and no hood you need to buy another lens cap as the one in the box will just fall off.

Wonderful lens and well done Leica but the 'OLLUX hood' thing doesn't quite work unless you use the screw in version which everybody seems to migrate to if you want a filter on the lens, which I do for shooting in adverse conditions etc.

Leica just loves to do stupid shit with their lens hood when it comes to using filters. Attaching the round hood onto the protective filter will 1.) look odd because now the hood is extended out by the width of the filter and 2.) impact to the hood transfers more directly to the lens than if the lens had a clip-on mount like the original v2. Regarding the OLLUX, this is just asinine that it won't work with a filter. Voigtlander and Zeiss have been making bayonet mount lens hoods for ages that work with filters. I swear the sometimes Leica lens designers are passive aggressive when it comes to using filters with their retro lenses (see the 50 Lux Black Chrome debacle thread).

I don't suppose anyone has tried to see if the 12504 hood will work with this lens.

16 hours ago, SJH said:

I can't see a way round this and I checked again this morning but even with a very thin B+W filter the OLLUX hood cannot 'clip' into place. 

Equally if you just use a filter and no hood you need to buy another lens cap as the one in the box will just fall off.

Wonderful lens and well done Leica but the 'OLLUX hood' thing doesn't quite work unless you use the screw in version which everybody seems to migrate to if you want a filter on the lens, which I do for shooting in adverse conditions etc.

Try putting the OLLUX hood on first, then carefully lower the filter down into the hood and see if you can get it to screw into the threads. I found this worked with the 28 Summaron to enable hood + filter use:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/265598-leica-summaron-28-image-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4462835

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 1

I got my copy of the reissue lens today, and took a long walk home to try it out. 

A few small observations - some repeat what has been written here already...

• The packaging is a departure from the recent Leica lens tradition. There is the usual flimsy outer grey box, the usual sturdy silver and black inner box. Gone though is the leather pouch and pair of foam inserts. Instead there is another black box with black foam inserts to hold each item (lens, 2 hoods) in its place securely. A simple felt-type drawstring bag is also supplied for the lens. 
  • There is the guarantee card, and a generic 'M-Lens General Information' booklet. There is no booklet specific to this lens included. 
  • The OLLUX-type hood (12487) is pretty, but the push-tabs on the hood, and recess grooves on the steel rim of the lens provide (unless I'm missing a trick) a flimsy attachment. It's not at all confidence inspiring. A gentle bump and the hood is off. 
  • The vented shade (12486) is very much in the style of the 12504 hood of old, except that it is E46 screw-in (NB - it doesn't unscrew into two pieces to fit 'serie' type filters). I can't see any internal grooves for putting a filter on top, so I guess the lens-filter-hood must be stacked.
  • The lens looks and feels great. It has that satisfying Leica jewel-like small-size, solidity, finish, and solid and heavy while actually being light kind of feel. 
  • I don't recall for the original 11869, but this reissue lens has half-aperture clicks.
  • I no longer have my Summilux v3 with 12504, but I find with this reissue the twin-focus tabs easier to locate and turn - there is a little more clearance back from the 12486 hood. Ergonomics seem improved (maybe someone who still has an original Summilux and 12504 can compare and confirm?)
  • Focusing tab and infinity lock have been implemented well.
  • Finder blockage with the 12486 is very minor. There's a bit more blockage with the OLLUX-12487. (Cute, but I can see now this thing will stay in the box). Note that because any filters used are stacked with the 12486 hood, blockage is increased a little as the hood sits a few mm further out. To me it still looks fine.
  • There is a thin plastic push-on lens cap. It only works on the lens without a lens hood (obviously), but interestingly, if I attach a B+W XS-Pro Digital 46mm UVa filter to the lens, that same lens cap will not stay on the lens. So, you can only use the lens cap without hood and without a filter (I'll try some other filters later to see if this issue is isolated to the B+W filter).
  • There is no other type of cap supplied. However, I plan to repeat a solution I used with the 12504 hood - a generic pinch-type lens cap in a size to fit on top of the 12486 hood. 

Well, I'm more bemused than irritated by the quirks. Overall I think things look and feel good. The vented 12486 hood is a working solution as supplied. Just note that there is no 'lock' to the 12486 vented hood (like we see with the 35 LX FLE, or 21 SEM for instance), so we will have to judge how tight to turn it to ensure it is secure, but not over-tightened.

Much more important than anything above however - wow! It's so nice to have this lens! I'm so glad Leica has (re)issued it. I took some deliberately demanding test shots with it on the way home, and I look forward to seeing the first files from it. 

• Like 8

I received my lens yesterday.  I plan to write up more detailed notes to share once I get some hands on time with it.  Overall, actually super surprised and impressed, as a huge fanboy of classic infinity lock lenses.

I did notice the lens seems to have a little more focus resistance as it nears infinity (versus turning towards the MFD direction) on first uses.  This is actually the first "new" leica lens I have ever purchased, so I'm not entirely sure if this is relatively normal and just something that will even and smooth out over time (eg: lubricant getting worked after sitting in a box for months).  I have normally used incredible silky smooth vintage lenses (Summicron 35mm 8 Element and Summaron 35mm F2.8) that were overhauled in Japan so I may have different expectations as well.

18 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Try putting the OLLUX hood on first, then carefully lower the filter down into the hood and see if you can get it to screw into the threads. I found this worked with the 28 Summaron to enable hood + filter use:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/265598-leica-summaron-28-image-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4462835

From the pictures of lens/hood I've seen, it looks like your idea could work. I should get my copy on Friday and will test it out. Perhaps someone could give it a try and beat me to it.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Fred Miranda said:

From the pictures of lens/hood I've seen, it looks like your idea could work. I should get my copy on Friday and will test it out. Perhaps someone could give it a try and beat me to it.

I'm jealous! I put in my pre-order literally the second the order form was opened on Leica Miami's website, but all I've heard is crickets.

41 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

I'm jealous! I put in my pre-order literally the second the order form was opened on Leica Miami's website, but all I've heard is crickets.

I purchased mine from a forum member who was in a Leica Store 'waiting list' before the lens was even officially announced! He told me he joined that list almost a year ago just based on rumors.

Last week, Josh at the Miami store, told me the waiting time for pre-orders is now over a year. If you were one of the first ones, you should get it soon.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fred Miranda said:

I purchased mine from a forum member who was in a Leica Store 'waiting list' before the lens was even officially announced! He told me he joined that list almost a year ago just based on rumors.

Last week, Josh at the Miami store, told me the waiting time for pre-orders is now over a year. If you were one of the first ones, you should get it soon.

I just wish I knew if was was #10 in line or #1,000. Over the last few years, no matter how soon I pre-order with them, I always end up finding the product somewhere else first. Gotta be frustrating for them, too. I may just end up getting another v2 since I really like the 12504 clip-on hood over the idea of one that screws into my filter.

6 hours ago, hdmesa said:

@hdmesaSame here, in fact it was up and available for pre-order on the Leica Miami website about 20min before their (Leica Miami) e-mail was sent out to those on their mailing list. I just happened to refresh the Leica Miami site right went it went live- placed my pre-order at that time but I have no idea how many might be in front of me.  Fingers crossed that we both get a call soon.

Edited by RMF
  • Like 1