Reissue 35mm Summilux Pre-Asph V1 Steel Rim

darylgo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Ernstk said:

Side by side comparisons have categorically shown that the lenses are in some way comparable, yet not in others...

Do you happen to have a link or sample for such comparisons? I'd love to see the differences. Even after release, I'm still having trouble finding many images taken by the SR reissue, regardless of their serial numbers.

Congratulations to Leica for this reintroduction, and to all those who get one! It was always the one I mentioned on the "What lens should Leica re-issue next?" threads. ;) 

I happened to pick up a black v.2 from 1982 early this summer (and prefer all-black and the LEITZ label) so I'll be skipping the Steel Rim for the time being. But it is nice to know the formula is available again - and with 6-bit coding!

I'll be watching the images thread. But while the MTF charts and construction diagram show tiny little differences here and there compared to the diagrams from the 1990s, I doubt they will be detectable in regular photography. And may just be artifacts of the charting process.

P.S. my 1982 black lens cost only about $1000 US less than the brand-new re-issue, so the re-issue is definitely a "cheap thrill" by Leica standards. ;) 

Edited by adan
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Ernstk said:

The 0000000 lenses are already being reported as having better image quality than the lenses with 'standard' numbering.

The rendering is allegedly very special. No one is exactly sure why but speculation suggests that they may have different glass, different coatings or are perhaps just a bit different.

Interestingly, collectors are already referring to them as the MZSR lenses - the Many Zeroes Steel Rim. Side by side comparisons have categorically shown that the lenses are in some way comparable, yet not in others.

One thing is certain; now is the time to get in at the start and help build a Leica myth.

Ernst

The final launch version no longer has the 4 screws on the testers copies - the 4 screws are unique to the 00000000 lenses.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, shirubadanieru said:

he was joking lol

Oh, I seriously thought he was serious. 😕 (and evidently I wasn't alone)

41 minutes ago, LKY said:

The final launch version no longer has the 4 screws on the testers copies - the 4 screws are unique to the 00000000 lenses.

Do you have a proper evidence or an example photo of this? I've been looking at as many SR reissue images as I could find and all of them have the 4 screws.

I'm not even sure who's making a joke here or whether the information here is true and that I just don't know, or have enough information, about it. We all love Leica cameras and lenses here so please don't start or spread misinformation (joking or not). And if it's a joke, please at least try to mention it somehow that it's meant as a joke. In case you don't know, joking doesn't translate well through written texts...

Edited by darkspark

10 minutes ago, darkspark said:

Do you have a proper evidence or an example photo of this? I've been looking at as many SR reissue images as I could find and all of them have the 4 screws.

I'm not even sure who's making a joke here or whether the information here is true and that I just don't know, or have enough information, about it. We all love Leica cameras and lenses here so please don't start or spread misinformation (joking or not). And if it's a joke, please at least try to mention it somehow that it's meant as a joke. In case you don't know, joking doesn't translate well through written texts...

The 00000xx do seem to be prototypes, sent probably to people who were testing the lens. This part is accurate. The part of it being special and having mythical qualities was the joke : p 

I have also seen screws so far in all pictures, but the 00000xx screws do seem a bit more accentuated than in the regular ones. Hard to see because most pictures are with the hood on…regardless, all seem to have screws in the front which does indeed look weird and I believe it’s a first for leica lens. Let’s wait to see more pictures from people who start to receive standard production ones. 

19 minutes ago, darkspark said:

4 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

The 00000xx do seem to be prototypes, sent probably to people who were testing the lens. This part is accurate. The part of it being special and having mythical qualities was the joke : p 

I have also seen screws so far in all pictures, but the 00000xx screws do seem a bit more accentuated than in the regular ones. Hard to see because most pictures are with the hood on…regardless, all seem to have screws in the front which does indeed look weird and I believe it’s a first for leica lens. Let’s wait to see more pictures from people who start to receive standard production ones. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, shirubadanieru said:

Thanks!

I highly doubt the screws are going to change though. I mean, I don't like them myself. They really ruin the look of otherwise a beautiful lens.

But all of the Leica's own promotional images of the lens have the dang screws... so it would be weird to deliver a product to customers that doesn't look exactly like the their own promotional images and videos.

5 minutes ago, darkspark said:

Wow, if this is true then I'm really glad I put my name down for this lens and I can't wait for it!

Those are photos from customers who have actually received their lenses just today.  It is also interesting to see in post #122 above that a lens with S/N 4836XXXX still have the 4 screws🤔

57 minutes ago, LKY said:

Oh wow ok this looks so, so soooo much better. Hope they all come out of the factory like this. Thank you for sharing. Makes me much happier to see this is the final design. Wonder why Leica has posted in their website the version that still has the screws

Old and new. So which one is the more beautiful, although the 4 screws are gone ? BTW: the new OLLUX doesn`t fit on the old lens.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

49 minutes ago, Wonzo said:

Old and new. So which one is the more beautiful, although the 4 screws are gone ? BTW: the new OLLUX doesn`t fit on the old lens.

that's great to see no more screws!! share with us what are your initial thoughts! would love to get your perspective

In the mid 90s I used a version 1 for several years and unfortunately sold it. I’ve just been looking back at the images and realised how great they look. So now this new version 3 is out I’ve been checking prices of the version 2… significantly cheaper by around £1200-£1600. I don’t feel the new lens is relevant to digital so my question is - in the real world of BW film is the v3 going to be noticeably different to the v1/2? On the plus side people will be selling their original versions for the new!

vor 9 Stunden schrieb shirubadanieru:

that's great to see no more screws!! share with us what are your initial thoughts! would love to get your perspective

What I found out so far: 

the weight difference ist 214g (new) vs. 230g (old). Filterthread 46 (new) vs. 41 (old). Due to the different filterthread, the new lens appears bigger, the old one more elegant. Build quality seems identical. The numbers on the old lens are thicker and easier to read.

Wide open the new version has a higher center sharpness, while the older lens has a more dreamy rendering. The new lens produces glow in a blurry way and not as radiating as the old one. Bokeh balls of the older version are more defined. But all in all the differences are not so huge, this new lens is definitely worth a purchase, especially for those, which still haven`t got any of these pre asph. lenses. 

Stopped down, sharpness of both lenses is excellent, with a slight advantage for the new lens. 

But please consider, that among the Version 1 there are many variations in terms of rendering, sharpness, glow, which will let the new lens shine more or less.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Wonzo said:

What I found out so far: 

the weight difference ist 214g (new) vs. 230g (old). Filterthread 46 (new) vs. 41 (old). Due to the different filterthread, the new lens appears bigger, the old one more elegant. Build quality seems identical. The numbers on the old lens are thicker and easier to read.

Wide open the new version has a higher center sharpness, while the older lens has a more dreamy rendering. The new lens produces glow in a blurry way and not as radiating as the old one. Bokeh balls of the older version are more defined. But all in all the differences are not so huge, this new lens is definitely worth a purchase, especially for those, which still haven`t got any of these pre asph. lenses. 

Stopped down, sharpness of both lenses is excellent, with a slight advantage for the new lens. 

But please consider, that among the Version 1 there are many variations in terms of rendering, sharpness, glow, which will let the new lens shine more or less.

Thank you! Glow is different..hmm interesting; please share wide open comparison shots if you can