Reissue 35mm Summilux Pre-Asph V1 Steel Rim

darylgo

On 10/13/2022 at 2:30 AM, shirubadanieru said:

Hope they also remake the hood, it's Leica's coolest hood by far :)

Hopefully it's not limited edition 

I two weeks ago bought the old hood for € 150. A shame to get an old one battered and bruised. For that price. But there are knock-offs I saw too.

Edited by Alberti

2 hours ago, darkspark said:

FYI: for anyone that's interested, there's an unboxing video of the 35mm SR showing the 2 hoods here:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WiAcizprzAc&t=729
(skip to around the 12:07 mark)

Thanks for the link and great to see a comparison; without the new lens in hand it hard to make any judgements but to me the Infinity lock profile appears a little ‘less elegant’ than the v2 that they show to compare. Also I’m on the fence about the larger 46mm filter front end as it does make it appear to have a bit more bulk, but I certainly understand Leica’s rationale for moving to a std size ring. The lens hoods are really wonderful and I personally rank it as one of the best features on this new Steel Rim. Looking forward to see some detailed rendering samples and comparisons to old/new v1 vs v2, etc…

vor 2 Stunden schrieb RMF:

... Looking forward to see some detailed rendering samples and comparisons to old/new v1 vs v2, etc…

In the above video there is one sample of the old and new (at about min20).

For next week they announced a comparison of all M 35mm Luxes. (min18)

I got confirmation from one independent dealer that this lens is only going to be sold through Leica's official stores. Same with the new M6. Quite unfortunate since I prefer buying from the smaller independent dealers. Posting this here since this is the first I've heard of about this. Has anyone heard otherwise?

Edited by Crem

26 minutes ago, Crem said:

I got confirmation from one independent dealer that this lens is only going to be sold through Leica's official stores. Same with the new M6. Quite unfortunate since I prefer buying from the smaller independent dealers. Posting this here since this is the first I've heard of about this. Has anyone heard otherwise?

Tamarkin in the US has a waitlist for the lens and they are not Leica store

5 minutes ago, Levpush said:

It's definitely confusing. Popflash told me they won't be getting any of them. I don't see it listed on B&H or Adorama, but I haven't contacted them. Maybe Tamarkin is special or in for an unpleasant surprise.

Edited by Crem

7 minutes ago, Crem said:

It's definitely confusing. Popflash told me they won't be getting any of them. I don't see it listed on B&H or Adorama, but I haven't contacted them. Maybe Tamarkin is special or in for an unpleasant surprise.

12 minutes ago, Levpush said:

Interesting, Leica Miami has also listed pre-orders and they are not a Leica owned store either.

Edited by RMF

13 minutes ago, RMF said:

Interesting, Leica Miami has also listed pre-orders and they are not a Leica owned store either.

I believe Leica Miami and Leica SF are privately owned, but have a special deal to use the name. They are effectively part of the Leica store list like the manufacturer owned stores. At least that’s what it seems like.  Popflash, B&H, Adorama, etc all sell mostly non-Leica products. Tamarkin might be special because they are mostly about Leica.

Edited by Crem

Why do some lenses have a SN with a very low number starting with "00000xx" while others have a new SN starting with "48xxxxx"?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by evikne

3 hours ago, evikne said:

Why do some lenses have a SN with a very low number starting with "00000xx" while others have a new SN starting with "48xxxxx"?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I think the 00000's may be for pre-release tester lenses, perhaps ?  Or is the image on the right from as tester / reviewer also ?

Edited by grahamc

2 hours ago, grahamc said:

I think the 00000's may be for pre-release tester lenses, perhaps ?  Or is the image on the right from as tester / reviewer also ?

Thanks, you are certainly right. These images were from Leica’s website. But I’ve seen members here on the forum with serial numbers as low as 0000023. They are probably testers too.

Edited by evikne
  • Thanks 1

The 0000000 lenses are already being reported as having better image quality than the lenses with 'standard' numbering.

The rendering is allegedly very special. No one is exactly sure why but speculation suggests that they may have different glass, different coatings or are perhaps just a bit different.

Interestingly, collectors are already referring to them as the MZSR lenses - the Many Zeroes Steel Rim. Side by side comparisons have categorically shown that the lenses are in some way comparable, yet not in others.

One thing is certain; now is the time to get in at the start and help build a Leica myth.

Ernst

• Like 1
  • Haha 11