Reissue 35mm Summilux Pre-Asph V1 Steel Rim

darylgo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, vi0lat0r said:

Appreciate you taking your time out of the day to check the review out and I truly appreciate all the kind compliments.  Also the fact you shared it with friends is always a pleasant and awesome surprise for my imposter syndrome.  I checked your instagram as well and realized I had been following you for a while! Love your work.  I definitely agree with the playing to strengths of the lens comment as I learned a lot of why these classic lenses were so beloved when I was working in Japan talking to the local film community wherever I could.

oh nice! thank you, followed you back! still waiting for my SR (despite being on a waiting list for 6 months in two stores..) Japan'ts rollout has been very slow.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my copy of the SR reissue yesterday, production date 05/12/2022. Just in time for my trip to Singapore/Langkawi.

First impressions.. the lens looks really nice on my silver chrome bodies, focusing is a bit stiff but it will probably loosen up with time, aperture ring feels a bit flimsy (especially compared to the Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4 II SC.. in my eyes a direct competitor that I own for quite some time now). I knew both hoods don't work properly with a filter but I still cannot believe they did this, as I currently live in the desert (Dubai..) I got used to shooting with filters on so this is a bit of a bummer, like everything Leica I will probably just get used to it.

First snapshots look really promising, glowy wide open and reasonably sharp stopped down. I hope I'll have some nice photos to share after my trip..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, junix said:

I finally got my copy of the SR reissue yesterday, production date 05/12/2022. Just in time for my trip to Singapore/Langkawi.

First impressions.. the lens looks really nice on my silver chrome bodies, focusing is a bit stiff but it will probably loosen up with time, aperture ring feels a bit flimsy (especially compared to the Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4 II SC.. in my eyes a direct competitor that I own for quite some time now). I knew both hoods don't work properly with a filter but I still cannot believe they did this, as I currently live in the desert (Dubai..) I got used to shooting with filters on so this is a bit of a bummer, like everything Leica I will probably just get used to it.

First snapshots look really promising, glowy wide open and reasonably sharp stopped down. I hope I'll have some nice photos to share after my trip..

Pictures or it did not happpen 😁

23 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Pictures or it did not happpen 😁

Of the lens or with the lens? :D

Here in front of me taken with an iPhone..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Both of course. Gorgeous!

For now I have just a couple of snapshots of my kid, the rest is NSFW so I cannot post them here. :D

"Unedited" DNG -> JPG in Lightroom and resized for the forum: 

• Like 3

Mine finally arrived today, went to the shop to pick it up…as we opened to check everything was in order, there was a huge spec of dust inside the lens…will have to wait for a new lens, which who knows how long it will take..wonder if people are signing the quality check card without even looking at the lens? Quite unfortunate…oh well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Mine finally arrived today, went to the shop to pick it up…as we opened to check everything was in order, there was a huge spec of dust inside the lens…will have to wait for a new lens, which who knows how long it will take..wonder if people are signing the quality check card without even looking at the lens? Quite unfortunate…oh well.

Well, that is disturbing to read and for you extremely disappointing.  I hope the replacement arrives asap. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Sorry to hear this, when I read descriptions of older lenses it mentions dust inside and the comment that follows "this will not effect picture quality."  I am not sure that is correct, and I am sure there are situations where it will.  Nonetheless, a new lens should not, and the thrill of looking through a new shiny lens is quite exciting.  I've had many issues with new lenses, including an aperture ring frozen in place, it makes me wonder if some of these issues occur in transit via rough handling after the inspection process and all cards are signed off.  

50 minutes ago, darylgo said:

Sorry to hear this, when I read descriptions of older lenses it mentions dust inside and the comment that follows "this will not effect picture quality."  I am not sure that is correct, and I am sure there are situations where it will.  Nonetheless, a new lens should not, and the thrill of looking through a new shiny lens is quite exciting.  I've had many issues with new lenses, including an aperture ring frozen in place, it makes me wonder if some of these issues occur in transit via rough handling after the inspection process and all cards are signed off.  

yeah it was like a white 'dust hair' for lack of better description, quite visible and large. If just a tiny spec Im ok with it but this is really poor quality control. Let's see when/if they'll send a new one to the store.

10 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

I’m sorry to hear this, was really looking forward to see your photos of Japan taken with this lens. I hope you’ll receive a new dust free copy soon enough.

Here’s a quick unedited snap from Singapore wide open, keeping it on the M10-R for now (although I think it is a mistake as I keep using my film camera much more..)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2022 at 6:18 AM, shirubadanieru said:

Really sorry to hear this ‘again’ about continuing QC issues with new lenses; @shirubadanieruI hope Leica is able to get you a new replacement quickly and to also take a close look at their final QC check process. I’m just patiently waiting on the extended waitlist for a chance to buy one at my local Leica Boutique. 

• Thanks 1

I spent a number of hours, during the big freeze conditions of the past few days, on the internet, looking at images and information on original versions of the Summilux-M 35mm, as well as this re-issue Steel Rim. In the past, while wading through information on all of the various 35mm Summicrons, I had largely missed the details of the pre-ASPH Summilux 35mm lenses. I am glad to have had the opportunity to play catch-up. These lenses, vintage and re-issued, now have my attention. I am thankful to those who have posted images and comments.

When I see the asking prices for some of the better-preserved post-Steel-Rim, pre-ASPH Summilux-M lenses, and their correct hoods, the official Leica price for the re-issued Steel Rim Summilux, with its two included hoods, seems quite reasonable. Every Leica lens, that I have bought, thus far, has been pre-owned. Perhaps this re-issued Steel Rim could be the first Leica lens that I eventually buy new.

3 hours ago, RexGig0 said:

When I see the asking prices for some of the better-preserved post-Steel-Rim, pre-ASPH Summilux-M lenses, and their correct hoods, the official Leica price for the re-issued Steel Rim Summilux, with its two included hoods, seems quite reasonable. Every Leica lens, that I have bought, thus far, has been pre-owned. Perhaps this re-issued Steel Rim could be the first Leica lens that I eventually buy new.

Re: reasonable, please don't let Leica hear that, it will encourage them to aim higher :-), and I agree with you.  

I'm seeing 50 Noctilux reissues appearing used from a few online retailers, the 35 new lens wait time could be longer than used copies becoming available.  

Edited by darylgo
  • Like 1

Ok Leica committed to cleaning it after the new year so went ahead & bought it! Here it is with the M10M!

Edited by shirubadanieru
  • Like 10

Here’s a couple of shots on my first day with the lens. All taken with M10M and edited to taste (contrast / highlights / shadows / noise only) 

F1.4 VS f2.8 at MFD

• Like 7