Carrying strap No 14312

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I looked for a Leica carrying strap, product no 14312, which I thought it was still supplied with all the Leica M bodies, but it looks like the new bodies are sold with a different strap. The strap I was looking for is out of stock; plus the 30 euros price has doubled to 55 euros---if available! Oh yes, I can get one at ebay for more than 100 euros, plus shipping cost.

For nearly 25 years, I have been using the same type; I got used to it. I am afraid, in the end, we will buy straps that will require firmware updates.

Edited by atournas
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, kivis said:

I will sell you mine for $40. It is unused, as like in brand new.

Kivis, thank you, I appreciate. However, I wonder if we are violating any rules in the forum by posting messages regarding direct sales between members.

The truth is, although the $40 is a decent price, importing from USA will cost me customs tax, let along with the shipping cost. But thanks anyway.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is interesting that Leica seems to have now moved on to more traditional leather straps.  I have to be honest, when I opened the box of my new M-E back when I first bought it, I was a bit shocked to see this nylon strap packed with a $5500 camera.

I much prefer the leather straps that Leica ships now, and also find them more comfortable than the rubber grippy pad in the nylon strap.  I have long hair and it snags/pulls on it painfully!  Perhaps it is telling me to get a hair cut!  The thing with the nylon straps is that they are meant to be really quick to attach/detach.  I know I am doing this wrong, but it seems no matter what I do I always attach them twisted!  So for me it takes way longer.

1 hour ago, Huss said:

but it seems no matter what I do I always attach them twisted!  So for me it takes way longer.

Same here, untill I follow the "manual" or follow the process on some strap boxes.

"Rear" in the hole = right.

"Front" in the hole = twisted.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

not like this 2a (front part = twisted), but the other way
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Same here, untill I follow the "manual" or follow the process on some strap boxes.

"Rear" in the hole = right.

"Front" in the hole = twisted.

not like this 2a (front part = twisted), but the other way

Thanks for posting that!  hadn't seen it before.  I do like the plastic 'sleeve' that covers the metal.  With mine I've glued some felt onto the back so it reduces the chances of scratching even more.

• Thanks 1

The 14312 was recently discontinued, although some dealers will have stock.  I bought an extra, as I use them on all my M bodies.  For the M10 platform, which deleted the plastic protectors on the top plate (presumably for better weather sealing), I add small leather ‘donut’ rings over the lugs to prevent abrasions. No problems so far, even with the M10-R Black Paint version.

Jeff

On 9/1/2022 at 7:56 PM, Huss said:

[...] The thing with the nylon straps is that they are meant to be really quick to attach/detach.  I know I am doing this wrong, but it seems no matter what I do I always attach them twisted!  So for me it takes way longer.

IQ test from day one for new Leica owners!

Try to "deliberately" attach it the wrong way; it may come out the right way! 😉

But honestly now, it is a real pain sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...

Johnny Martyr wrote a blog post about this strap. After reading it, I too put the Leica 14312 on all my cameras...even the Nikons.

https://johnnymartyr.wordpress.com/2019/03/14/the-best-camera-strap-in-the-world/

The Nikons have since switched back to the thin-ish OEM strap from the 1970's

I have a few spare Leica 14312 straps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BradS said:

Johnny Martyr wrote a blog post about this strap. After reading it, I too put the Leica 14312 on all my cameras...even the Nikons.

https://johnnymartyr.wordpress.com/2019/03/14/the-best-camera-strap-in-the-world/

The Nikons have since switched back to the thin-ish OEM strap from the 1970's

I have a few spare Leica 14312 straps.

For Nikons or other cameras that come with captive rings in the strap lugs as standard, I like the AN-4B, a no-nonsense but high quality subtly branded narrow black nylon strap with a broader section for your neck and no metal bits to scratch anything, which is still available new:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37064-REG/Nikon_639_AN_4B_Nylon_Neck_Strap.html

I even have this on a Leica ER case that has lost its original leather strap. It would be a decent choice to attach directly to a Leica M or LTM, but unlike the 14312 it has no protectors to avoid scratching the body (Nikon have designed their lugs and rings to avoid this problem) so you'd need the 'donuts' or something similar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anbaric said:

For Nikons or other cameras that come with captive rings in the strap lugs as standard, I like the AN-4B, a no-nonsense but high quality subtly branded narrow black nylon strap with a broader section for your neck and no metal bits to scratch anything, which is still available new:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37064-REG/Nikon_639_AN_4B_Nylon_Neck_Strap.html

I even have this on a Leica ER case that has lost its original leather strap. It would be a decent choice to attach directly to a Leica M or LTM, but unlike the 14312 it has no protectors to avoid scratching the body (Nikon have designed their lugs and rings to avoid this problem) so you'd need the 'donuts' or something similar.

That's the one!  The white "Nikon" comes off with some 99% isopropanol  and effort.

On the heavier Nikon F2, I prefer the wider, period correct and sometimes colorful, AN-6.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

They've changed the AN-4B a bit over time, and the modern variant I bought didn't even have the 'Nikon' lettering on the plain black nylon strap, just subtly moulded in small letters on the (now plastic) buckles. So nobody knows I'm committing sacrilege by using it on a Leica unless they get very close 🙂.