I’ve now had 3 x sl2 bodies fail.

Gavin Cato

On 4/7/2022 at 1:43 PM, Stuart Richardson said:

Btw, if you love the lenses and just can't handle the body, you should look at the S1, S1R or S5. I have an S1 as a backup to my SL2 (actually had it first, primarily for video using M and S lenses), and it is an excellent camera. It has a different feel than the SL series, but it is a truly professional system. The only problem I have had with it is that the battery tends to drain slowly if left in the body (over days/weeks), but in terms of handling, ergonomics and color science, I like them a lot more than the Fujis and Sonys I have used. They will take all your SL lenses and use them 95% as well (there are some reports that they don't have quite the same edge sharpness as they do on the SL bodies, as the SL has a thinner cover glass).

It is interesting to read that you find that the batteries drain in the camera body. I experienced this as well and thought perhaps my camera had a problem, but this is then perhaps a systems problem. 

• Like 1

First Make Leica eat all the costs associated with the repairs, shipping both ways etc... Better yet, have them priority ship you a new cam directly from Germany, and send the old one back to them - can't trust it etc... Push hard, and they will do it. I am a big believer in making companies pay up for failed engineering/quality control... Cite the above law...

I second the panasonic S1r route, it's a robust cam, and the dealers have quite a bit of wiggle room on the pricing. On the Pana set the color space to natural.

Best of luck

Edited by Planetwide
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Gavin Cato said:

Just wanted to say I really appreciate everyone trying to help. Unfortunately I’m probably going to buy some Sony or canon gear next week. 

I just can’t shoot wedding with this hanging over my head. I’ll still keep a 47mp sl2 and a few lenses for personal use. 

You are not alone. 

Just be aware what Canon R series build quality is not as their DSLRs. I had power switch failure on my RP, googles it and realized it is common problem and not just for RP.

20 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

You are not alone. 

Just be aware what Canon R series build quality is not as their DSLRs. I had power switch failure on my RP, googles it and realized it is common problem and not just for RP.

He's talking about the SL, not the SL2. And it is mostly about the autofocus.

Edited by John Smith

21 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

You are not alone. 

There's a whole YT sub-genre of "why I'm dumping this product and moving to that one." It drives engagement, and it keeps channels from being brand-specific.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Olaf_ZG said:

It is not nice to switch gear during the wedding season. One get used to the gear, know its colors etc.

I didn’t mean there is no other nice gear around.

Yeah hammer on the head. I have my editing workflow super efficient at the moment with the Leica files in capture one and absolutely love the colours I’m getting. Honestly don’t even really need to edit the files much at all if I get it right in camera. Just wb tweaks mostly. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 4:41 PM, Gavin Cato said:

Sure, it could be me. I'd love to know what though. I've been shootings weddings for over 16 years with a variety of gear and this is the only gear ever mucking up like this.

I have 4 x of the genuine leica sl battery chargers, and thats how the batteries are charged.

I use a think tank airport manager bag heavily padded, and most of my gear still looks new - especially the lenses.

No magnets and the wife won't let me get a motorcycle.

There is no way the sony SD cards are causing a camera to mechanically fail. Sure, a bad sd card might give corrupt files, the odd camera hang etc - but a mechanical fault completely locking the camera up permanently so it needs to be flown to Germany? I don't think so.

My gut feel is these cameras just aren't up to doing 3-4 weddings a week. Which kills me, because I love them (when they work!) and I love using different stuff to my competition. 

Hi,

I think it’s comical that people are accusing you of damaging the camera! Quite frankly, as a professional photographer I was more than disappointed with the SL2. They are not professional cameras due to their unreliable behavior. It is widely know that their was a design flaw with the power supply, which restricts you from burst shooting even with Leica lenses.

This has never been fixed. Instead they screwed us and released a second version camera….the S.

My guess is that if you are using the cameras every day, you most likely are experiencing power fluctuations that are corrupting the internal operating system.

If you like your lenses, and must have the Leica brand so you can stand out, trade the bodies for the newer Sl2s. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Not only that but I have 4 bodies. 2 x 47mp sl2 and 2 x the newer sl2-s. both 47mp sl2 died. One of the sl2-s died. 

At first I thought I just had rotten luck either the first 2 sl2 dying to be maybe a bad batch out of factory. But the sl2-s that died was purchased over 12 months later so there’s no way it could have been in that batch. 

9 hours ago, Gavin Cato said:

Not only that but I have 4 bodies. 2 x 47mp sl2 and 2 x the newer sl2-s. both 47mp sl2 died. One of the sl2-s died. 

At first I thought I just had rotten luck either the first 2 sl2 dying to be maybe a bad batch out of factory. But the sl2-s that died was purchased over 12 months later so there’s no way it could have been in that batch. 

I repeat myself. It seems hard to hear, but the only factors that remains between all four unrelated bodies are you the User, your Environment, your Accessories and your Lenses. 
Just found the culprit among one of them. 
I might surprise you. 

5 hours ago, nicci78 said:

I repeat myself. It seems hard to hear, but the only factors that remains between all four unrelated bodies are you the User, your Environment, your Accessories and your Lenses. 
I might surprise you. 

Short of literally throwing the cameras against a wall I struggle to see how any buttons I press can cause a actual hardware locked up failure. That’s absurd. 

The “environment” is weddings. And I’ve used many other cameras with no such issues.

I was a computer engineer before photography and I’m not an idiot with electronics. I would love it if a reason could be found why but at this stage it’s just a lot of conjecture and nothing of any worth from Leica themselves. 

Regardless - needing a 4 month turnaround on repair of such an expensive piece of gear is utterly absurd and probably worth leaving the system for just on that point alone. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nicci78 said:

I might surprise you. 

One item was in Wetzlar and was repaired. No reaction from them, what the cause of the blocking was. That surprises me.

1 hour ago, Gavin Cato said:

Regardless - needing a 4 month turnaround on repair of such an expensive piece of gear is utterly absurd and probably worth leaving the system for just on that point alone. 

And this really shows - sadly - that Leica is not the brand for professionals. 
To stay with stereotypes: amateur, dentist and lawyer only.

Any camera can fail, though it service time shows the professionalism of the brand.

Except for Leica, no camera ever failed on me, despite heavy and careless use. A second hand Q was the first camera showing problems, and Leica serviced it very well, without cost, but it took them some time. That said, I would never use a Q as the sole camera on any pro assignment, but a SL would be such choice.

• Like 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Gavin Cato:

Short of literally throwing the cameras against a wall I struggle to see how any buttons I press can cause a actual hardware locked up failure. That’s absurd. 

The “environment” is weddings. And I’ve used many other cameras with no such issues.

I was a computer engineer before photography and I’m not an idiot with electronics. I would love it if a reason could be found why but at this stage it’s just a lot of conjecture and nothing of any worth from Leica themselves. 

Gavin, i have very good connections to the customer service in Wetzlar , want me to call them for you ? 

• Like 2