I’ve now had 3 x sl2 bodies fail.

Gavin Cato

50 minutes ago, Gavin Cato said:

The camera is hard locked with the shutter stuck over the sensor.

turning the camera on with without a SD card it’s still locked. 

Did you take the battery out and in again? 

One camera is repaired (and runs) and one runs, right? Can you compare the firmware versions of these two?

Just wanted to say I really appreciate everyone trying to help. Unfortunately I’m probably going to buy some Sony or canon gear next week. 

I just can’t shoot wedding with this hanging over my head. I’ll still keep a 47mp sl2 and a few lenses for personal use. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Gavin Cato said:

Just wanted to say I really appreciate everyone trying to help. Unfortunately I’m probably going to buy some Sony or canon gear next week. 

I just can’t shoot wedding with this hanging over my head. I’ll still keep a 47mp sl2 and a few lenses for personal use. 

Wise decision, though probably not nice.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Are you registered with Leica as a professional photographer. BTW (submit websites, company numbers and VAT in UK case) they give you priority on repairs. I've had some kit come back after about 1 week (dropped 90mm APO smashed front lens) 

Funnily enough I shoot all my commercial work on SL2-S's for the flash triggering ease etc and weddings on rangefinders - I hope you arrive at a solution soon.

Edited by douglas fry

Just now, douglas fry said:

Are you registered with Leica as a professional photographer. BTW (submit websites, company numbers and VAT in UK case) they give you priority on repairs. I've had some kit come back after about 1 week (dropped 90mm APO smashed front lens) 

They don’t have anything like that in Australia unfortunately. 

Gavin,

I would highly suggest you call Leica Germany directly (not email), and talk to the customer service team. Tell them that you are a pro and this is the third time it has happened and that you need to not only get the cameras fixed, but understand why they are breaking. I would not rely on the local distributor. I think you have the best shot understanding and fixing what is going on if you have a direct line to the factory. In my experience they are not great about email as a first contact. Call them, find out who you are speaking to, and keep speaking to that person. It is a small company and there are not so many people involved, so if you ask you can stay in touch with the person in charge. And if it were me, I would definitely try to reach out to the SL system project manager. I am not sure who that is now (Maike Harberts?) , but that is the person who is responsible for overseeing that line of the camera in the company, and upon whose shoulders this kind of problem lies.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gavin Cato said:

An interim/cheaper solution would be to get a used SL or two. I have personally used them for years for weddings, and I know other photographers who have as well.

I would get an S1R (or S1/S5 if you prefer) so that you have a (different technology) fallback system. Then you can first keep the lenses. (I used that for the few cases that I needed flash.)

They are not very expensive (well I don’t know about Australia). I actually like the S1R, for landscape it is maybe even preferable. It seems really robust.

Then in the meantime you could try to speak directly to Leica support in Wetzlar, and explain your special case. Maybe also write down a description of each failure. Maybe you notice a pattern while you do it ...   You have 3 of them which is unusual, maybe a detailed history will clarify things. (Did they fail at beginning of session, or at the end, in the outsides or later in the building, or did you notice the error later after the session ...    Was it three times the same steps or each time completely different ? Random ?)

And do not worry about the lenses being less “sharp” on the Pana cameras. This is nonsense. This will not be visible in wedding photos. (You can find a difference only under rare and very special circumstances. When you check resolution at the corners at highest magnification. This is the typical BS of some peeping fans.)

Edited by caissa

I would second the suggestion of the S1R body. I bought one to try out a couple of years ago. I then sold my Leica SL and bought a second S1R.  You will like the grip and handling of the camera as well as the flip screen. Also works with Good products which may be a plus for you. 

2 hours ago, hillavoider said:

Well well well, the lemon SL2 has finally got ya, about a year ago you tore strips off me for criticizing the SL2 and its flaws and now ya got 4 of the dogs...well have fun now

Yes, this is really a classy add-on. Don’t you feel ashamed to add such nonsense here ?

Probably you feel now it serves him right ....

What a poor forum member ....       Why not simply switch to places where your sort of “member” activity is welcome ?

Edited by caissa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hate to say it, esp as huge of a Leica fan as I am (heck, my ten year old daughter's name is Leica) but Leica's really have become primarily for dilettantes and casual users at this point. Esp considering the huge turnaround time for repairs, and how many issues they can have right out of the box brand new (my M10-R black paint had to go back to NJ for month out of the box). If I was doing so many high pressure jobs such as weddings I wouldn't rely solely on Leica's. Or at least have a basic second system (either Sr1 or perhaps a Nikon Z7 and a couple of lenses if sticking to EVF's).  That said, I've done pro jobs (and even a wedding or two, though for friends) with only M's, but fingers always crossed. Not saying the SL2 isn't a great camera in its own way, but with so many failures I would be pissed off and my trust blown. 

Thats a bad experience! I am not pro but have used SL, SL2 and SL2-s for quite some time now and all 3 cams just work.

If you love the glass I would directly get in touch with Leica. I know they are some times ignorant first, but I also think they want to make things work so I would believe once they understand what happened to you they would seriously help you.

As an engineer I would think that there is something in your typical shooting/setting which is different from others and might cause a problem.

The only other idea I have is that your cameras are from one faulty batch of deliveries?

I would ask Leica to give you an additional loaner camera for free as back up as long as these problems are not solved.

19 minutes ago, charlesphoto99 said:

I hate to say it, esp as huge of a Leica fan as I am (heck, my ten year old daughter's name is Leica) but Leica's really have become primarily for dilettantes and casual users at this point.

Are you extrapolating from one user's experience? I know successful professionals who do 100+ weddings per year with Leicas, for the past decade. Sure, there are support issues, and you always need backups, but that's true of every brand.

This SL2 problem is very peculiar, it seems to only affect one photographer: you won't find dozens or even hundreds of similar threads, as you would if it was a common problem (we Leica users love to complain!). I don't mean to minimize the issue, just to point-out that it isn't generalized.

• Like 2