How do you like the new black coating of M11

tom0511

How do you like the new black coating (M11)  

97 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like the new black coating (M11)?

• I like the new black coating of M11 better than the black chrome of M10 models because it feels more grippy
    • I prefer the older black chrome coating from the M10 because it felt smoother
    • For me it feels just as good

1 hour ago, lct said:

Why "because it felt smoother" and not "because it scratches less"? It is black paint isn't it so little chance it resist scratches as well as black chrome i would think but i may be wrong.

I seriously doubt that it’s paint. Magnesium/aluminium alloys are notoriously hard to paint, and would require multiple coats, including a hard glossy clear coat on top, or it’d scratch or flake as soon as you’d look at it.

The black ”paint” is more likely hard anodization with a surface treatment to make it grippier. HA can be extremely tough and wear proof - if grown right and thick enough, it’s essentially amorphous sapphire. Making it grippier (larger surface area) will, however, make it less wear resistant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lct said:

Why "because it felt smoother" and not "because it scratches less"? It is black paint isn't it so little chance it resist scratches as well as black chrome i would think but i may be wrong.

Only time will tell...but after a few weeks it is holding up exceptionally well. My M10 and M10M showed rub marks from the straps almost immediately...so far none on M11 with same strap. I read somewhere that this is the same black finish used on Leica's Binoculars, which generally receive more handling and abuse, so I think Leica has a history with this finish.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, digitalfx said:

My M10 and M10M showed rub marks from the straps almost immediately...

The M10 platform eliminated the plastic protectors above the strap lugs (presumably for better weather sealing). I add a small leather ‘donut’ ring under my standard Leica 14312 straps on all my M10 versions.  Not a mark after extended use.

Jeff

• Like 1

When I saw the demo camera in the store, it had chipped in a couple of places. Somehow I get the feeling that this finish may be less durable than the black chrome of the M10. Also the Visoflex will leave bright marks over time. 

Edited by rramesh
  • Thanks 1

vor 15 Stunden schrieb lct:

Yes, I should have included durability, but when don know yet if it is better or worse or same.

22 hours ago, digitalfx said:

Only time will tell...but after a few weeks it is holding up exceptionally well. My M10 and M10M showed rub marks from the straps almost immediately...so far none on M11 with same strap. I read somewhere that this is the same black finish used on Leica's Binoculars, which generally receive more handling and abuse, so I think Leica has a history with this finish.

Those rub marks where quite easily removable. So, no reason for complaints.

7 hours ago, Gobert said:

Those rub marks where quite easily removable. So, no reason for complaints.

How exactly? I tried everything...still there

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, digitalfx said:

I've got zero rub marks after six months with a black paint M10-R and rub marks on my brand new M10M after a week. Works the same with or without marks so nothing that's ever bothered me on the dozen Leica's I've owned the last twenty five years. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

Works the same with or without marks so nothing that's ever bothered me on the dozen Leica's I've owned the last twenty five years. 

Never bothered me either, I posted in answer to a question about durability of finish. Same strap on M11 hasn't left same rub marks, thats all.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 8:23 AM, digitalfx said:

same here, a few spots in my M10M is leaving a chrome marks... just like yours.

Edited by stefanusj