Antwerp meeting September 3/4 2022

pegelli

Unfortunately I have been unable to successfully resolve the matters that are out of my control, one of which is renewal of my UK passport owing to the glut of applications and the glacial speed that the passport office appears to be processing them, so with great regret I will not be able to join you in Antwerp after all. :(

Regardless, I wish you all an excellent weekend in what looks to be a very interesting city judging by the pictures that Pieter has posted here and elsewhere and I hope to visit Antwerp in the future.

(I nominate Paulus to consume the beer that I would have drunk if I'd been able to come and I will email him some unicorn tears to cover the cost.)

Pete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So sorry to read that you will not be coming dear Pete. 

We had to change our hotel as booking.com messed it up completely. Staying at the Riga hotel close to the grote Markt. 

We are looking forward to meet you next week!

Karin and John. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Less than a week to go, let's take a look where we stand now:

Saturday incl. dinner: pegelli, @Paulus, @Alberti+Talitha, @Herman.+Nadia, @analogM and @satijntje+Karin

Saturday w/o dinner: @ianman

Saturday dinner unconfirmed: @rjans, @StS

Sunday for sure: pegelli, rjans, StS, analogM and satijntje

Maybe: @LeicaBoss, @Michiel Fokkema

Showed interest before: @Martin T-M

Any updates or changes pls. post below.

@all others: still plenty of room to join, just post below

• Thanks 1

A couple of practical remarks :

1. On a busy saturday in Antwerp a lot of pubs/restaurants are not willing to split the bill for individuals in groups. For these cases, which will include dinner at "het 11e gebod", I don't mind paying the bill centrally and people pay me back what they consumed. This can either be cash, immediate bank transfer by QR code (I can do this with Belgian and Dutch banks if you have a bank app on your phone) or you can pay all your dues after you're home by a bank transfer to me.
  2. Lunch both days is in places where you pay individually directly when ordering
  3. Admission to the St. Paul church on saturday is 5€ and a day pass for tram/bus on sunday is € 7,50
  4. I'll have printed maps of our intended route with me to hand out, these will include a few shortcuts for people who can't or don't want to do the whole walk (~5km)
  5. Weather forecast is mainly "sun + clouds" and mostly dry but with a chance for an occasional sprinkle or shower. So bring an umbrella and other protective gear.
  6. I'll send a PM with my mobile number to all confirmed attendees later this week so you can get in touch with me in case there's anything unforeseen happening or in case you're lost.

In case anything is unclear or you have other questions/remarks just post them below or send me a PM.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, pegelli said:

Saturday incl. dinner: pegelli, @Paulus, @Alberti+Talitha, @Herman.+Nadia, @analogM and @satijntje+Karin

Confirming dinner for Saturday for me - apologies for not being clear about it.

Thanks a lot

Stefan

• Like 2

OK, thanks for all the feedback (also on the PM's), that makes us 10 or 11 for dinner on saturday.

So far the good news, the bad news is that the amount of rain forecasted for saturday has steadily increased. However switching the saturday and sunday programs doesn't make a lot of sense anymore since we don't have many indoor venues on the program in the sunday program either, only the railway station and for that we only have a photo permit for sunday morning, so going there on saturday with a large group of photographers will likely get us kicked out anyway.

It's now forecasted to be a mixture of sun/clouds/frequent showers so let's hope the forecasters got it wrong (the hall of fame of weather forecasters seems to be an empty building), but bring your umbrellas and photo bag raincovers and we just have to take shelter when it gets too wet. If it becomes continuous rain maybe we can decide to go to the photo museum on saturday morning and more churches/indoor venues in the afternoon. We'll discuss that when we see each other saturday morning in cafe STORM, we really need the latest/most accurate weather forecast to make a decision like that.

Sunday the weather forecast is much better, still sun and clouds but no rain (at the moment). In case anybody who is only planning to come saturday wants to switch their participation to sunday to have a better chance of good weather let us know.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for a reasonable dry saturday

• Like 2

Sunday the group is (currently) 5 people.

We meet at 9:30 in the Starbucks Coffee shop in the Central Railway Station (front side/Astridplein)

Here's a map of the tour we're planning for that day, but as always we can be flexible based on specific requests and based on our "speed" (my experience is that groups of photographers move along at a glacial pace) we can either add additional stops or skip certain locations. We'll see how it goes:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

On 8/29/2022 at 10:00 PM, pegelli said:

Just for clarity: Talitha will only dine with us on saturday.

• Thanks 1

Dear Leica friends,
I have observed this morning a significant improvement of the weather forecast for Antwerp.
Chances for rain for Saturday have dropped from 80% to 35%.
So the camera bag was repacked to cope with the improved situation 🙂

We are looking forward to meet you all!
Karin and John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, satijntje said:

Dear Leica friends,
I have observed this morning a significant improvement of the weather forecast for Antwerp.
Chances for rain for Saturday have dropped from 80% to 35%.
So the camera bag was repacked to cope with the improved situation 🙂

We are looking forward to meet you all!
Karin and John

Looking this morning it indeed seems a lot better then when I wrote my post a few days ago.

This morning some light rain that will stop around 10:00 and maybe another sprinkle at the end of the afternoon.

See you all in a bit, I'm looking forward to meeting you all and the whole weekend.

Am 3.9.2022 um 07:55 schrieb pegelli:

Looking this morning it indeed seems a lot better then when I wrote my post a few days ago.

This morning some light rain that will stop around 10:00 and maybe another sprinkle at the end of the afternoon.

See you all in a bit, I'm looking forward to meeting you all and the whole weekend.

In the link some pictures from yesterday. It was nice to see old an new faces! 

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2